Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The light and airy fashiony glamour feel
Old 02-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36812
Comments: 0

j4m3z is offline IP: 24.247.246.73

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Took this at a group shoot. Didn't kow what I'd run into. Made this image by over exposing a LOT, had a gold reflector camera right and I bounced a 580ex off the wall behind me. The flare is intentional.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z

Re: The light and airy fashiony glamour feel
Old 02-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The image is a bit large so I couldn't see it all at once. But it has some detail problems. I would clone out the bruise on the leg as that always detracts from this sort of glamour shot. The bright window proves a bit distracting. The image seems a little soft with the eyes not being as sharp as they need to be. The silver pipe looks sharp though.

Click for larger version

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 76.179.128.160

Hi rfs,

I'm a bit puzzled by your photo....(sorry, couldn't resist).

Anyway, as for the first photo, the bruise is definitely in need of attention. The contrast in her face is lacking too. It seems faded. She has a pretty smile but is that her real smile or is that a "say cheese" smile? Just curious..not meant to be insulting or anything. It just looks a bit forced; that's all.

Do you have some more you can share?

Good day!

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 02-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

RFS: The bruise is easy enough to clone out, It'll be gone in a little while. I agree that the silver pipe is sharper than her eyes. This could be for a couple of reasons. One the pipe is in shadow from the window and the flare (or blooming) isn't causing the same "detail problems" as it is on her face. The second is AF has a hard time with strongly backlit subjects so it might have flat out been off. Maybe both. Not having a split prism, I'm hesitant to manually over ride the camera's AF. The bright window bit was done on purpose, I wanted it white without detail. I also wanted the flare and had switch to manual mode to do it. The +/- 2stop exposure comp just wouldn't get there in Av mode. I was pulling inspiration from Anthropologie catalogs and Knitting magazines my wife gets. Often they use very strongly backlit images with some flare. Though maybe not this much. ;-)

Soujrnr: That's one of her modeling smiles. Anyways, here's another from the same set:

Nother one with less flare:
  View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z
Last edited by j4m3z; 02-14-2007 at 05:51 PM..

Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4m3z View Post
RFS: The bruise is easy enough to clone out, It'll be gone in a little while. I agree that the silver pipe is sharper than her eyes. This could be for a couple of reasons. One the pipe is in shadow from the window and the flare (or blooming) isn't causing the same "detail problems" as it is on her face. The second is AF has a hard time with strongly backlit subjects so it might have flat out been off. Maybe both. Not having a split prism, I'm hesitant to manually over ride the camera's AF. The bright window bit was done on purpose, I wanted it white without detail. I also wanted the flare and had switch to manual mode to do it. The +/- 2stop exposure comp just wouldn't get there in Av mode. I was pulling inspiration from Anthropologie catalogs and Knitting magazines my wife gets. Often they use very strongly backlit images with some flare. Though maybe not this much. ;-)

Soujrnr: That's one of her modeling smiles. Anyways, here's another from the same set:
Did you perhaps do a AF focus on the eyes, lock focus, and then recompose when shooting these shots? If so, that is often the reason for lack of sharpness in the eyes since the recompose changes the distance from the "film plane" from when the lock was made. This is usually only a factor when shooting fairly wide (f1.8 to f4).

What I often do with this type of shot, when I want the blown out background is to do a few test exposures using the Black/Gray/White target and look at the histogram. I then change the exposure to force the histogram as far right as possible and allow the highlight spike to clip. I shoot in RAW, and then in ACR I can get the exact degree of blown highlights I want in the window and still get right on exposure of the subject. This also gives maximum shadow detail.

Just by casual comparison, I think your second image has a better exposure of the model as the greens seem better exposed.

Just another note, if you want to experiment with controlled flare (after the fact) you might check out AutoFX's Mystical Lighting Suite as it has some great tools in that area.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Did you perhaps do a AF focus on the eyes, lock focus, and then recompose when shooting these shots? If so, that is often the reason for lack of sharpness in the eyes since the recompose changes the distance from the "film plane" from when the lock was made. This is usually only a factor when shooting fairly wide (f1.8 to f4).

What I often do with this type of shot, when I want the blown out background is to do a few test exposures using the Black/Gray/White target and look at the histogram. I then change the exposure to force the histogram as far right as possible and allow the highlight spike to clip. I shoot in RAW, and then in ACR I can get the exact degree of blown highlights I want in the window and still get right on exposure of the subject. This also gives maximum shadow detail.

Just by casual comparison, I think your second image has a better exposure of the model as the greens seem better exposed.

Just another note, if you want to experiment with controlled flare (after the fact) you might check out AutoFX's Mystical Lighting Suite as it has some great tools in that area.

Cheers,
rfs
Yes I am focussing on the eyes, then recomposing. And that image was shot rather wide. Good tips! Unfortunately I don't shoot raw (add on that sRGB to boot! ). That in and of itself is it's own debate, but I happy saying I don't know enough about work flows and color management. When I shoot raw I tend not to want to edit the pics after the first couple of the set. Personally I feel like it'd be best for me to figure out how to shoot this style in the camera. Maybe I shoot more throw aways to get there, but the journey sounds more fun. The black/grey/white test card sounds like a killer plan though. I'll have to put it on my "to buy" list. Thanks again.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

RFS: If you have an assistant, you could put them in one of these just to make life easier on ya!
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/Art+/+P...&CMP=KNC-F-ALL

Old 02-15-2007, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4m3z View Post
RFS: If you have an assistant, you could put them in one of these just to make life easier on ya!
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/Art+/+P...&CMP=KNC-F-ALL
It actually looks like it might be practical.
You would then get 4 spikes in the histogram to deal with rather than 3,
but that would be interesting. I guess the model could also wear it.
Now all I need is an assistant:

I wonder if RG might want to make a career change?

Cheers,
rfs

Old 02-15-2007, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
It actually looks like it might be practical.
You would then get 4 spikes in the histogram to deal with rather than 3,
but that would be interesting. I guess the model could also wear it.
Now all I need is an assistant:

I wonder if RG might want to make a career change?

Cheers,
rfs
I know, I was trying to be helpful, not a smart ass. Hard to tell with me sometimes so I've been told. Specially on the internets. You could ask RG but I think he'd order a bunch for his own troops