Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Data Recovery HELP
Old 02-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.114.144.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

God I was hoping I'd never have to make this post...but I do

I have a Seagate 160gig external hard drive that appears to be crashing. I have backed up MOST of whats on the drive, however, some of my latest client shoots are on the drive...fully processed...and I need to recover them.

The drive will boot, but after about 2 to 3 minutes, I hear a fast ticking sound then the images are inaccessible. My computer will lock up and my desktop disappears...as soon as I unplug the ex drive from the usb port, everything begins to work again...

Does ANYONE have any suggestions or are there any data recovery gurus on board here. A friens suggested taking the disc out of the external case and "slaving" it to my pc...I thought I'd try it, but the damn thing has some type of torx screws with a pin in the middle of the entrance and I cant get the case apart...

Any suggestions...data recovery experts...please reply or advise...I would be grateful...

BobbyG

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Re: Data Recovery HELP
Old 02-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46114

dledeaux is offline IP: 70.244.248.134

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm not sure how slaving it would make a difference. Can you access it at all before the 2 to 3 minutes? What happens if you unplug it and plug it back in? Can you access it again for 2 to 3 minutes?

If so, I'd start copying for 2 to 3 minutes at a time.

BTW, IBM perfected that neat little screw years ago. I once had a tool special made to remove them to repair their monitors.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dledeaux Visit dledeaux's homepage! Find More Posts by dledeaux

Old 02-12-2007, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.114.144.175

Quote:
Originally Posted by dledeaux View Post
I'm not sure how slaving it would make a difference. Can you access it at all before the 2 to 3 minutes? What happens if you unplug it and plug it back in? Can you access it again for 2 to 3 minutes?

If so, I'd start copying for 2 to 3 minutes at a time.

BTW, IBM perfected that neat little screw years ago. I once had a tool special made to remove them to repair their monitors.
I think he was trying to determine if it was a DRIVE problem or possibly the USB port or something else...He feels like with the noise it's making its probably the drive...

Yes, I can usually access it for 2 to 3 minutes at a time before the ticking noise ...once it begins to tick (or shutter rather quickly) all images are inaccessible...I have to unplug it from the usb...turn off the power to the drive...turn it on again...replug it to usb and then repeat the process...problem is, I have 100 gig of images I need to move and that will take a while at that rate...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 02-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56015

maxposure is offline IP: 161.6.218.169

Well 100 Gb's is a lot to back up and im not sure you will get it done without sending it off to someone for data recovery but that could run you about two grand. The only other idea is have is to take the hard drive out and put it in the freezer over night and then put it back in the computer and this may buy you a little time before it shuts down on you. If that seems to work you could even go as far as putting frozen food around the drive. Its kind of an odd remedy but it has worked for me in the past. Hate to see this happen to anyone. Best of luck to you.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to maxposure Find More Posts by maxposure

Old 02-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52576
My Mood:

TheGoldy is offline IP: 66.133.224.86

Sounds like the drive itself is similar to a Western Digital. That ticking is very common on those drives when they fail. There's unfortunately not a lot you can do on your own to make it work any better and the more you run it, the greater the chance of it dying completely. You can get your data off, but it won't be cheap. There are lots of companies out there that specialize in data recovery from failed hard drives. Depending on how important the photos are, it might be worth the money.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TheGoldy Find More Posts by TheGoldy
Last edited by TheGoldy; 02-13-2007 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51775

azbaron is offline IP: 76.178.22.17

Go to Seagate's website and download their diagnostic ISO file and burn it to a CD. When you run it, you should get two options. A fast test and a extended test. Run the fast test first and then the extended. The extended option should have a choice to fix errors - do that. Once it's done, try accessing the files and copy them off at once if you can.

Good luck!

azbaron
  View Public Profile Send a private message to azbaron Find More Posts by azbaron

Old 02-13-2007, 01:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 48779

Brennans_Photography is offline IP: 71.84.211.155

I just had this same thing on my work computer. The noise you are hearing is most likely the drive arm, if it's like mine. I asked my IT guys how they were able to get the data off of it and on to the new drive. They told me they take out the drive and put it in the freezer for an hour. He said this compresses the head on the arm and allows the drive to be read. I am not an IT guru, but this is exactly what my IT department said. You may want to do an internet search about freezing your drive, and this just may work!

Good luck!

Pete
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brennans_Photography Visit Brennans_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by Brennans_Photography

Old 02-13-2007, 01:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.23.181.251

From the freeze suggestions, it sound logical that maybe,....

Put an ice pack on to keep it cool, maybe a bearing in the motor gets hot and the shaft expands causing it to bind.
Worth a try.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 02-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 69.29.138.215

I got a set of the Torx screw bits with the center recess at my local Ace hardware store. Cost about $6.00 for a set containing several sizes bits. You put them into your handle or power driver.
I had my main hard drive do the same thing (clicking) and was able to install a new hard drive and connect the old one as a slave and go to "My Computer" and select the drive that was the slave and right click on the image folder and select "move to" the "C" drive. It did take a little while to set all this up, but I was able to save all of my images...which was a huge relief. Now, as soon as I download a sitting, I immediately burn a CD of the images and file it away. At least then I won't lose the unedited ones. Rick form Arkansas "Arkie"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 02-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50339

texamaggie is offline IP: 66.110.197.20

Bobby, I have had this same problem when the HDD crashed on my laptop. I used EZ Data Backup pd and it worked great. I booted from a good drive, plugged this into the USB port and voila, everything on the bad drive was accessible. I Apparently, the boot sector on the drive was bad so it would not boot but the data was there.

http://www.arcoide.com/ez_backup_pd.php

Good Luck
  View Public Profile Send a private message to texamaggie Find More Posts by texamaggie