Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Great domain advice from R.Fredrick.Smith
Old 02-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35309
Comments: 0

postcardsfromthewasteland is offline IP: 68.211.191.193

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

RFS gave some great advice on domain names and such to me in a previous post that was deleted. Regardless of the reason for deletion, his advice is solid, well thought out, and great info for everyone. I would be amiss in my G1 responsibilities to the community if I did not share this valuable info.

Here are some notes in response to your original question and in regards the extra info that you've provided below.

First, some general observations about domain names. There are two theories. A name should be short and easy to remember and type or it can be longer (and perhaps more keyword rich) but still easy to remember. Your long name of

postcardsfromthewasteland.com

is okay in this regard, since it is easy to remember and also has added rememberability because it is similar to the already well known name (Postcards from the Edge - the movie and book).

The other name, vavaboom.us doesn't work very well and in general as I already said earlier, .US names don't work very well because most people don't even know about the .US name. Its always best to go with a .COM name.

As you build your website, you want to concentrate on two things. One make it highly readable and viewable by the widest audience and make it keyword rich for the search engines. This means that you need to have a good amount of text and it needs to have keyword phrases in it that will attract people through the search engines.

Suppose for example, that you want to appeal to "Details" and "Abercrombie". Then you would want some phrases that might be found by such organizations when they are searching the Internet. I've often found that companies will search for things about themselves, so if you include the names of their company in some meaningful way, then those companies will often find the site.

Also keep in mind that each page has what's called a "Title" tag (the text that shows up in the top line of the browser so you should consider key phrases there that are targeted at possible people searching for the site.

Since you're saying that you'll probably only use business cards as external Internet promotion, then you'll need to take extra care to seed the site with good keywords.

Another strategy, is to frequent relevant forums that cater to models, artists, etc, and to participate on those forums and link to your website during your posts. Also get other photo sites to link to you. The search engines make heavy use of inbound links in deciding which sites will be listed first in the search engine results.

The first page of the site is very important. If someone does find the site, this is their first impression, so you want everything that shows above the fold when they first see the page to have good impact (above the fold for web pages means everything they see after the page loads and without scrolling). Usually a good photo that grabs attention and then some text that spells out the purpose of the site. Also be sure that the menu structure is well defined and easy to use. Watch out for things like dark type on dark backgrounds that are hard to read. Go for very easy to read layout. Also avoid animations or sound that appear automatically because these can often cause a visitor to leave.

Well, these are just a few notes.

Best of luck with your venture.

RFS - Many thanks for the info and well thought out response. I am appreciative.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to postcardsfromthewasteland Visit postcardsfromthewasteland's homepage! Find More Posts by postcardsfromthewasteland