Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
mode and exposure
Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38174
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to biggame248

biggame248 is offline IP: 69.212.42.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

when starting out what is the best mode to put the camera to get best exposure in I heard program mode is best...
kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to biggame248 Find More Posts by biggame248

Re: mode and exposure
Old 02-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is a hard one to answer. I would first play around with priority shutter mode see how it picks an aperture and then maybe set the camera to aperture priorty and see the shutter speed it wants to use. This will change as your lighting changes. But you should start to see the relationship of the two. If you want to get crazy go full manual and see what happens. If you go full auto you will not learn anything.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 02-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Program mode is okay for quick snapshots, but you really don't learn anything form such shooting. I would say, you're better off to play with manual, AV and TV settings and see the results of varying choices. Naturally if you're using external strobes, then you will always be shooting in manual mode. As a general rule, I never shoot in programmed mode, because I usually have some idea as to the DOF I want from a shot, and so need to control the F-stop myself. On the other hand, if I was shooting fast moving stuff, I would want to control the shutter speed and maybe set it higher to freeze action. Once you enter the Program or Automatic mode, you are giving up control to the camera. By luck, you'll get some good shots. But if you keep the control yourself, you'll get many more good shots (once you understand exposure, fstops and shutter speeds and how they work).
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.248.54.153

Since you're just starting out, I'd go Auto for a while until you're comfortable with the camera and actually get some decent pictures. Then start taking a shot in Auto, then take the same picture in Shutter Priority and vary the aperature a few stops up and down, then take the same picture in Aperature Priority and vary the shutter speed. That way you can see how those different combinations affect your results. You'll learn a lot - and then you can go full Manual! The best thing you can do is read, read, read, and read some more on this website and others. Ask every dumb question you can think of and you'll learn something new every day.

Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 02-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
The best thing you can do is read, read, read, and read some more on this website and others. Ask every dumb question you can think of and you'll learn something new every day.
Doc
Just to add to the Doc's comments, a good, easy, not-too-technical book is as follows:

Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition) (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-...e=UTF8&s=books

Regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53414

Mal at Hidden Creek Photo is offline IP: 66.245.119.115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
Since you're just starting out, I'd go Auto for a while until you're comfortable with the camera and actually get some decent pictures. Doc
This a rare occasion when I disagree with Doc. Starting out in auto will tempt you to pick up some bad habits...the worse of which is not seeing and thinking light when you trip your shutter. Back in the day when I actually had the patience to teach photography to young soldiers tricked into being Army photographers Uncle Sam issued Canon F-1s to its photographers. I loved that camera because on the day we issued cameras to the newbies, I'd walk around and collect all their batteries. The Canon F-1 battery only operated the camera meter. For the next two weeks all those young photographers had to get exposure correct was the data sheet that came with the film and their own ability to remember their lessons of observing how light falls on their subjects. To bad we can't shut off in-camera meters today.

From that point teaching the young photographers about the inherent flaw in all camera meters (they only interpret 18 percent gray), to be aware of their backgrounds and foregrounds, and how to meter their hand and stop up or down one stop based on their flesh tone was simple enough.

Priority of lessons: (1) Manual mode (2) Aperture priority (3) Shutter Priority and by then (4) Program mode will be of little value.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52074

Jim M. is offline IP: 68.102.186.27

All of us old geezers learned various manual exposure techniques because that is all there was back in the late fifties and early sixties. These days, I would say get used to the camera by shooting in program mode. If you do enough of it, you will also learn why it isn't always the best choice. Try all the metering mode options (center-weighted averaging, evaluative, etc.) to see how they interpret things differently. Sometimes there will be a big difference and sometimes there won't. And when you look at the pictures, look at them on your computer, not just with the camera's LCD. You'll be amazed at how that little LCD can fool you, especially with exposure. Read everything you can get your hands on about the mechanics of photography - what various f/stops and shutter speeds do, how the focal length of the lens effects the perceived depth of field or distortion or compression and on and on. Then I would make the switch to full manual and take meter readings with your camera to set aperture and shutter speed. If your camera has a spot meter selection, use it to see what the light range is in the shot and to see what to meter to get the subject exposed like you want it. Look at the results and see what different combinations do. When you feel like you can predict the results, then you can use aperture priority and shutter priority settings to get the results you are after. These, after all, are nothing more than shortcuts or time savers to get the aperture or shutter speed that you need to create the effect you are after.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jim M. Find More Posts by Jim M.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.182.217

Depends. If you want to really learn photography, then set everything to "manual". If the camera does the 'thinking' for you, you will learn nothing.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38174
Send a message via AIM to biggame248

biggame248 is offline IP: 69.212.42.175

what do you usally shoot in av, tv, or m?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to biggame248 Find More Posts by biggame248

Old 02-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggame248 View Post
what do you usally shoot in av, tv, or m?
At the beach I shoot in AV mode most of the time. All other times full manual..

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo