Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
WSJ Article: Strike a Pose, Count Your Pennies
Old 02-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There is an interesting and worthwhile article in today's Wall Street Journal titled Strike a Pose, Count Your Pennies. It is a Page One feature article. This article is restricted to WSJ subscribers, but if you send me your email address, I will forward WSJ's Email This link. The article is well written and worth reading.

I've also provided a link to the accompanying video. Please see:

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/tubei...ion-model.html

Quote:
Bianca Gomez, an 18-year-old model from Los Angeles, is rail-thin at 5'11" with almond shaped green eyes, honey-colored hair and translucent skin. She attracted interest from famous New York design houses well before she'd arrived in town to audition for their runway shows.

But in the brutal new calculus of high-fashion modeling, the odds of becoming a big-time mannequin have grown even slimmer. Competing with a deluge of fresh faces from Russia, Eastern Europe and Brazil, Ms. Gomez has faced many rejections. Expenses -- such as foreign travel costs -- have siphoned thousands of dollars from her fees. In December, she even considered calling it quits.

The global economy is transforming the modeling world. Supply has soared, as aspirants from developing countries stampede into the field. At last season's New York's fashion week, the quintessentially American design house of Calvin Klein didn't send a single American down its catwalk. Twelve of the 22 chosen were from Russia and Eastern Europe.

For their part, many designers these days favor the Slavic look, Caucasian in coloring but with vaguely ethnic facial features. Runway casting directors look for the slimmer shoulders and hips they say Russians and Eastern Europeans often boast. Many in the fashion industry say these models, who often hail from tough economic circumstances, work harder than their Western counterparts.

"The Brazilians and Eastern Europeans are hungrier," says Mr. Casablancas, who currently lives in Rio de Janeiro and works as a consultant to modeling agencies there.

Part of Ms. Gomez's problem was that at 5'11" and 120 pounds, she wasn't quite thin enough for some designers. On the runway, "the ideal body type for models today has been smaller shoulders, small waist, small rib cage, small hips," says Nian Fish, creative director of KCD Worldwide, which produces fashion shows for Calvin Klein and Marc Jacobs. Eastern European girls, with their distinctive bone structure and narrow bodies, often fit the bill.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Re: WSJ Article: Strike a Pose, Count Your Pennies
Old 02-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A reader left a comment on my blog that

http://www.congoo.com

provides a free pass to several subscriber publications for a limited number of articles.

So if you don't have a WSJ subscription and you want to read this article, you can either email me or use the congoo.com service.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Re: WSJ Article: Strike a Pose, Count Your Pennies
Old 02-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.173.245.75

The interesting article/video downplayed or overlooked some of the most important factors:

1. The Eastern European (herein "EE") look is typically more PHOTOGENIC than the most beautiful looks from elsewhere. Sharp well-defined features, light eyes, and other aspects, all translate better onto "film."

2. Dance training is widespread. Because of it, the EE girls are often more fit, and often MUCH more graceful and aware of their bodies than other girls, both in static poses and moving.

3. MUCH, MUCH better maturity and work ethic among EE girls than others. My own experience is mirrored by that of my colleagues.

4. Far fewer tattoos and other economically-idiotic body modifications. A Russian girl once told me many Russian girls think tattoos are "stupid." And even the ones who want tattoos are not stupid enough to get them, if the girls are thinking of modeling.

5. Typically have excellent skin. Girls who smoke, use drugs, eat Twinkies, McDonalds, drink Coke and similar flavored liquid sugar, can't match the complexion of a healthy Ukranian girl who grew up on real food.

6. Did I mention maturity, great work ethic, and an absence of tattoos and other disfigurements?