Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Rolando Gomez Workshops
Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52846
Comments: 0

Devo is offline IP: 75.108.87.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello,
Just wondering if anybody has been to one of Rolando's workshops? I've been thinking about going to his workshop in Birmingham,Al. I would just like to know how it was. I'm an intermediate photographer & don't know if it will be over my head or would it be good for a beginner or myself.
Thanks in advance,
Devo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Devo Visit Devo's homepage! Find More Posts by Devo

Re: Rolando Gomez Workshops
Old 02-01-2007, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37234
Comments: 4

icn2u is offline IP: 71.9.169.163

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello, Devo. My wife and I have attended Rolando's Atlanta and Virgin Islands workshops. We thoroughly enjoyed both and found them extremely well organized. If you feel you are getting in over your head, Rolando will be close by to help you out. I believe that any level photographer will have a great time at any of Rolando's workshops, learning plenty of new techniques and meeting beautiful, experienced models. By the way, don't be afraid to ask the models for help--they're amazing!
Have a great time,
Barry
  View Public Profile Send a private message to icn2u Find More Posts by icn2u

Old 02-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Here is my review of multiple Rolando Gomez workshops. I've been to 7 or 8 of them so far.

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/main-...hop#post239566

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-02-2007, 03:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36812

j4m3z is offline IP: 24.247.246.73

I'm going to give you the good and the bad on the one I went to a while ago and hope I don't offend anyone in the process. The workshop I attended was in August of 2004 in Coatesville/Philly

I'll start with the bad. My biggest complaint was that I learned only a week or two ahead of time that I'd have to pay each model $50 for a model release. I had saved up to go to this workshop and was on a tight budget. I scraped up enough money to pay the four models and tip the MUA but some travel expenses ran higher than expected and I had to dodge a model. I realized this would happen halfway through the first day and pretty much just picked a model to not shoot. Also the releases sound optional but I learned later that not obtaining them is very frowned upon by the models. I don't think Rolando intended to spring this on us/me because as I understand it he was very busy the weeks before the workshop. Alas it is what happened.

The second bad point is really just a nit to pick. I had never shot nudes before, and for whatever reason it was decided to pretty much start with them. Other attendees said it was completely backwards from a "normal" RG workshop, but oh well. I was just not expecting to start with that and what got me was that I after I had started to develop a bit of report with the models it switched to clothed glamour. The flow just seemed counter intuitive.
---
Now the good! I was a beginner in studio photography, I mean completely green. I think I shot maybe 2 or 3 models with my new (to me) novatron system then went to this workshop. Heck I was still shooting film and with a Canon A-1 to boot!. The workshop was not over my head but also not boring for the more experienced in the group.

Rolando is a great instructor. I mean top notch. He has also assembled teams of top notch models, MUAs, assistants and vendors. He's very approachable and fun to share drinks with after the shoot. A goldmine of information and an all around good person.

Did I say the models are top notch?

The networking is also great. I still maintain occasional contact with some of the people I met there.

The actual shooting time is very productive. I learned a LOT. The workshop gave me a great boost in learning studio photography and cemented a lot of principles in my head. It also prepared me for the jump to digital I made shortly after. It's really hard to quantify what you learn there. In a weekend I learned what would have taken me anywhere from 6mo-2yrs to figure out on my own if I figured it out at all. Somethings were big foundation types of stuff like softbox placement and rim lighting Other things were tips you can read about here and there on forums, like cinefoil, but when you see them actually used it just clicks. Plus you don't have to spend hours scouring forums to find it. Some of those tips, even if I had read about them I might not have tried or explored further, unless I had learned about them and saw them in action with Rolando.

Oh yeah it was fun!

All in all I'd do it again and hope to perhaps next year. This year would be nice, but my schedule is filling up with weddings and Christmas put a financial hurting on me. Despite the negatives stated before it was still an extremely well spent weekend. I would highly reccommend it for a glamour shooter, just bring a couple extra benji's!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z
Last edited by j4m3z; 02-02-2007 at 03:55 AM..

Old 02-02-2007, 03:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
The second bad point is really just a nit to pick. I had never shot nudes before, and for whatever reason it was decided to pretty much start with them. Other attendees said it was completely backwards from a "normal" RG workshop, but oh well. I was just not expecting to start with that and the part that got me was that I after I had started to develop a bit of report with the models it switched to clothed glamour. The flow just seemed counter intuitive.
Actually I don't think you can count on any RG workshop to be quite like the last. They all tend to vary quite a bit. I've been to some where the nudes were there in the first set, and some where there were no nudes till the second day. And in the Virgin Islands its hard to keep the models in their clothes sometimes. Its probably easier to work from clothed to nude but once you get use to building rapport with a model it really makes little difference what they're wearing. Just another part of the learning curve. The whole purpose of the experience is to have fun and learn something new and get some good shots, which is usually the case at all of RG's workshops.
By the way, on buying the release, you had it easy. I went to one of the RG workshops once where he advertised 3 models, and instead of 3 there were 6. I just did what you did. Shot my favorite 3 models, and didn't shoot any of the other 3.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40073
Comments: 1
My Mood:

MrPhotoStudios is offline IP: 71.16.88.5

Devo,

I've been to one of Rolando's workshops last year and loved it! I'm planning on going to the one in Birmingham too!

Hope to see you there!

Mike

Old 02-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 43925
Comments: 1
Send a message via MSN to SallyK

SallyK is offline IP: 71.228.48.111

Looking forward to meeting all of you at the Birmingham workshop!!!
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by SallyK

Old 02-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52846

Devo is offline IP: 75.108.87.39

Thanks everyone for your replies. I already signed up for the Birmingham
workshop & I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Devo Visit Devo's homepage! Find More Posts by Devo