Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Shequila - outdoors
Old 01-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.181.61.137

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is another one of those surreal outdoor kind of images where off camera flash was used on a somewhat overcast day to brighten up the model. I like shooting outdoors whenever possible, because sometimes I get a little bored with indoor black or white paper studio backdrops. Yes that could mean that there are other things in the picture that some studio shooters might find distracting, that might include weeds, rocks, buildings or trees. 8>/

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Re: Shequila - outdoors
Old 01-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

One judges a photo based on the overall impact of the total scene and what the primary focus of the shot is all about. In this case, the size of the model in the image, the cropping of the model, and the lighting all tell us that she is the primary center of attention. In such cases one would usually want to have a background that did not call attention to itself. In this case, we have a very distinct problem of the black hair of the model tending to blend into the background. We have, in addition, a huge white stripe of white in the background that runs into the side of the model's head. The eye is pulled instantly toward broad white stripes like this and so it proves to be a distraction.

To give you an example by contrast of the point I'm trying to make (am maybe not doing a very good job of it in the past), here is a link to one of my photos (since its a nude, I'm just providing a link):

http://www.glamour1.com/photoplog/index.php?n=695
Model is Michelle.

And here is a strip of shot showing the two shots in the same sequence taken in the preceding few seconds.

http://www.glamour1.com/photoplog/index.php?n=698

Now because of the cropping of the photo and the size of the model I'm saying that the background works well because its a believable part of the scene and the scene isn't just about the model but about a pretty girl on a beautiful beach. Since my interest was more in the model's form against the scenic backdrop I chose a harder lighting that would place the pubic area in shadow and would give more emphasis to the fabric and form and not as much emphasis to the face. A shot like this is always a study in compromises and I would have preferred a different horizon line, but nevertheless it captured he feel of the place. By the way there is a large reflector just outside the scene.

So after this discussion, what I'm trying to say, if that in your shot of Shequila that the scene would work better if you had pulled back to show more of the scene and then involved her in interacting with the scene.

Here is an example using my "infamous" shot that has "17 errors" in it:

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

By the way, I was looking at your other beach shots, and this one by far was the best of the ones you've posted.

Nice and clean and the lighting works well.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Quote:
...that could mean that there are other things in the picture that some studio shooters might find distracting, that might include weeds, rocks, buildings or trees.
since you did such a nice job of popping her off the BG, i dont' find anything distracting in that area. what i do find a bit distracting is some of the skin-tones which seem to be inconsistent.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 01-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

After I read your comment about "popping her off the BG", I thought perhaps my eyes were going bad. I've been viewing most image on my laptop screen since I've been mostly bed ridden for the last few days. When I looked at his photo on my big screen attached to my desktop, it was totally different. There was indeed a lot more background separation than I could see on the laptop. Must be time for a new laptop, or I need to get my eyes changed again.

Here is a screen capture from the laptop to give you and idea of the difference.

But the big white stripe running into the side of the head was still there.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 01-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
since you did such a nice job of popping her off the BG, i dont' find anything distracting in that area. what i do find a bit distracting is some of the skin-tones which seem to be inconsistent.
You right about her skin tones having some variances. That was just the model herself that photographed that way. Not sure if I would know how to make an easy fix for that. Almost as if her arms and legs had been exposed to the sun. Not sure.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS
Last edited by ARTFORMS; 01-28-2007 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 01-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
After I read your comment about "popping her off the BG", I thought perhaps my eyes were going bad. I've been viewing most image on my laptop screen since I've been mostly bed ridden for the last few days. When I looked at his photo on my big screen attached to my desktop, it was totally different. There was indeed a lot more background separation than I could see on the laptop. Must be time for a new laptop, or I need to get my eyes changed again.

Here is a screen capture from the laptop to give you and idea of the difference.

But the big white stripe running into the side of the head was still there.

Cheers,
rfs
Now that I see your screen capture, there is a very big difference from your laptop computer to what I see on my desktop pc screen. I would not have known that a critique could change so much from what the person is viewing the pictures on.