Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Whats the best way to advertise and secure tfp/tfcd model sessions?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56808
Comments: 3

destrianlives is offline IP: 71.137.224.41

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm a beginner and will need to create my portfolio and dont know how best to advertise or get tfp/tfcd models. PLEASE HELP! How where and who to advertise to? When and what stipulations? I wanna use the tfp/tfpcd sessions to advertise and to build business and to test new equipment should I value tfcd more than tfp?

PLZ HLP!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to destrianlives Find More Posts by destrianlives

Re: Whats the best way to advertise and secure tfp/tfcd model sessions?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51008
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to roastdawgg

roastdawgg is offline IP: 129.174.195.5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A lot of photographers and models fresh on the scene join communities like www.*************.com or something to advertise and build portfolios. The majority of people there are only interested in TFP so its usually pretty easy. I got 10 offers within the first 24 hours of joining. There are lots of other photo communities to join. Personally word of mouth is also a great method to get the word out.

You will notice that the above URL is starred out. There are a lot of people on this site that HATE the place because it is filled with amateurs and beginners and they can't be bothered with them. The site i recommended above is One Model Place. hopefully that didn't get starred out as well. Best of luck building your experience. IM me or email me for more help if the people here aren't interested in giving you a leg up when it comes to this.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roastdawgg Visit roastdawgg's homepage! Find More Posts by roastdawgg

Old 01-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Well if you're in the LA area, there are so many opportunities to shoot with models that you almost have to beat the models off with a stick.

As to whether to use tfp or tf/cd, that is really not that relevant. Either way you are investing your time and the model is investing their time. You will then provide some prints to the model or a CD of shots. Either way, you will have some further investment in time to produce the prints (and some cost for the prints) or the CD (where you may have to do some post processing for a set of images). I wouldn't be concerned in choosing between tfp and tf/cd as that is really a non-issue to what you want to do.

There are a number of photo type clubs and photographer groups in the LA area that have open shoots, etc. If you go to one or more of these, you can often quickly build up a nice portfolio of shots.

I've also had good success over the years by just placing a small ad in college/university newspapers (or on bulletin boards) and usually ended up with too many models to actually work with. So I just chose the best of those that responded.

Naturally you can try online forums such as mentioned by another poster. Keep in mind that there are some danger points in some of these online portals and for the one mentioned, you will have to join and pay a fee before you'll be able to contact anyone.

Do you have any photos at all? If so, you might post one or two to get some feedback on additional places you might look for building your portfolio.

Lastly, don't forget that there are lots of workshops out there (RG's for example) that will allow you to shoot a number of great models (and have a MUA) and that is a fast way to build up a portfolio (much like the open shoots I already mentioned, but usually more structured and with training).

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-24-2007, 08:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

An added hurdle for a begining photographer is that tfp or tfcd is supposed to benefit both the model and the photographer. If they are both beginners, it is more difficult to produce images that either can use. Sometimes, hiring an experienced model to help you learn is worthwhile.

As Roger recommended above me, workshops are great for learning about light placement and working with models, directing and posing. Reading is also a good tool and Rolando's book is a great starting place.

Once you are comfortable working with models and can show them you will give them images they can use as well as for yourself, it will be easier to find new models. Word of mouth is very important.

Best of luck here,
Vic
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071
Comments: 0

Brattitude is offline IP: 66.151.166.5

Most models will want to see some work that you have already done. If you don't have any yet, I recommend working with a friend, wife, mother, sister, etc... Even if you don't have any "models" to start with, using the people around you will give you a starting point.

Group shoots are also a decent resource for beginners (not because you are likely to get any good shots, because most likely you won't). Group shoots are a good place to network with models, photographers and MUAs.

If you can't be good, be good at it
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude