Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lindsey at Sunset......
Old 01-21-2007, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48213
Comments: 0

Marty_McBride is offline IP: 64.12.117.9

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Marty_McBride Find More Posts by Marty_McBride

Re: Lindsey at Sunset......
Old 01-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You do have a great eye for beautiful women and great lighting.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 01-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 72.150.198.134

I enjoy your work and this is another great shot. The dynamic range is incredible. Do you mind sharing how you lit this and how much PS was involved?

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 01-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Marty_McBride is offline IP: 64.12.116.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdoc View Post
You do have a great eye for beautiful women and great lighting.
Thank you Vic!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Marty_McBride Find More Posts by Marty_McBride

Old 01-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Marty_McBride is offline IP: 64.12.116.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
I enjoy your work and this is another great shot. The dynamic range is incredible. Do you mind sharing how you lit this and how much PS was involved?
Thank you....I first tried using available light, hoping the sand dune in front of her, (out of the picture) would kick light back into her face...but the background completely washed out. I then put a SB600 on my camera and shot it. I probably should have put the camera on auto, to hopefully retain more detail on the water, but I shot it in aperature priority, and was beyond what the flash was capable of for a more even balance. I tried to salvage the water detail in Capture NX, but it wasn't to be, and just turned dingy grey. All that was done in photoshop were some adjustments in levels to remove the redness caused by the flash, and to brighten the shot a little, and I used unsharp mask.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50164
My Mood:

lepphed is offline IP: 68.63.66.163

Marty,
Absolutely stunning!!!! It's almost like you can do no wrong.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lepphed Find More Posts by lepphed

Old 01-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

I have a few small quibbles with this photo. You've already pointed out the loss of detail in the water. But let's look at the details of the photo. First we have the horizon line running through the neck (usually not a good thing). We have distracting weeds behind the model. The lighting is unnatural and looks very artificial giving the scene and where the sun is. The position of the hands and particular the hand on the left is not the best. Usually you don't want the back of a hand so prominent. The lighting is very flat on the model and little definition which is typical of a on camera flash. I think the scene had potential, but you needed to move the subject to where the weeds would not be a dominate part of the composition. It would have been better to have the flash off camera to one side or the other to reduce the flatness. I know sometimes that isn't possible, and you have to just take what you can get.

Click for larger version

Note: About exposure. Usually with a shot like this you would shoot in manual. Set the fstop for what the flash needs for a good exposure of the model and set the shutterspeed to give a good exposure to the water for that fstop.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Marty_McBride is offline IP: 152.163.100.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepphed View Post
Marty,
Absolutely stunning!!!! It's almost like you can do no wrong.
Thanks....but you might wanta check with Fred on that! LOL!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Marty_McBride is offline IP: 152.163.100.67

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I have a few small quibbles with this photo. You've already pointed out the loss of detail in the water. But let's look at the details of the photo. First we have the horizon line running through the neck (usually not a good thing). We have distracting weeds behind the model. The lighting is unnatural and looks very artificial giving the scene and where the sun is. The position of the hands and particular the hand on the left is not the best. Usually you don't want the back of a hand so prominent. The lighting is very flat on the model and little definition which is typical of a on camera flash. I think the scene had potential, but you needed to move the subject to where the weeds would not be a dominate part of the composition. It would have been better to have the flash off camera to one side or the other to reduce the flatness. I know sometimes that isn't possible, and you have to just take what you can get.

Click for larger version

Note: About exposure. Usually with a shot like this you would shoot in manual. Set the fstop for what the flash needs for a good exposure of the model and set the shutterspeed to give a good exposure to the water for that fstop.

Cheers,
rfs
Thanks Fred...I think the word hate would have saved you a lot of typing! HA HA.....I appreciate everything you said, but have my own thoughts too. First off, the picture is almost exactly as taken. I think on my monitor it's still too red, and was even worse. With levels I added contrast and sharpened it. Your advice on exposure is right, but this was the last shot we took, cuz a massive swarm of mosquito's all but carried us away!! I shot it twice, once without flash, and once with. I was not only too far away, but too stopped down, and under powered. She wanted the shot, so I took it. Personally I dont think too much about the photo looks real, it actually looks very fake. The horizon didn't really bother me, but I know it would a lot of people. If the picture was a tight portrait, the hand being turned might be a distraction, but I didn't notice it....another thing about this shot that you don't like, is my favorite...the weeds, I love em!
If you have ever looked at any of my work, like it or not, then you would know that I'm not much of a user of lighting equipment anyway, and never break out an on camera flash period. It produces very flat lighting, making the nose all but disappear...kinda like in your portrait you posted. I posted this shot knowing it wasn't a technical wonder...but because it didn't look real, and because of the colors, and the weeds...I thought it was pretty cool, kinda post card like, and different for me!

Thanks, and best wishes!
Marty.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.181.61.137

Generally speaking, I like the image even though there are some things that could technically make it better. A strobe with a power pack might have helped improve on this. Curious about a comment that was made on this having flat lighting. With all of the talk about how amazing ring flashes are, if one of those had been used for this image, it would still be flat lighting. As for the fake appearance of a picture like this, that would only be due to the fact that we don't normally see people lit up like this during this time of the evening, but I like the look that pictures like this have and we have seen JT Smith, Rolando and a few others post similar images here that have this lighting effect.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS