Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My first tear sheet is on news stands today!
Old 01-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.123.161.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

In early December I was contacted by someone regarding an image of Jessie that is available on my stock site through Acclaim Images. The client needed to know how old she was. At first the contact didn't give me any more details and I was very suspect. I responded politely with her age (19) and he came back asking if I had any similar images of models over 25. This time he included his phone number, company name, and title (a sales executive with Grey Worldwide Atlanta, a member of the Grey Global Group and WPP). A little research showed that he was the real deal and this could be a great opportunity for me. Rather than mess around with email I called him and discovered that the client was Icehouse Beer (Miller) and the magazine was none other than Maxim!!! Talk about the home run for me. Miller has a policy of not using models under 25 for their ads so I pointed him at my Pbase archive and some images of Kelli Cook. About an hour later he called me saying they found an image they wanted to use for the ad. Since Acclaim's upload was broken due to restructuring, I made the sale outside of the agency directly to GWA.

Without further delay here is a low res mock-up of the ad that is on page 33 of February 2007 issue of Maxim.

It's a quickie knockout they did before they had the high res final image. I'll be scanning my copy of the magazine in the AM and upload it to my portfolio.

Just goes to show you that even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Re: My first tear sheet is on news stands today!
Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35772

LesHoward is offline IP: 24.36.123.139

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Congratulations. That's a very nice tear to put in your book. I suggest you buy several virgin copies of the magazine and file them away for future use.

It seems like you handled that negotiation very professionally.

Assuming you negotiated directly with the client and not through your stock agency, I recommend you go one step further. When you get your cheque from the client, send half to your stock agency. By sending their client to you, they did their job so they did earn their commission even if it was for a picture not in their files. Most stock agencies are so accustomed to getting stiffed by photographers that they will be very surprised and very motivated to make more sales from your catalogue. Consider it an investment in your own future.

Also, get some more pictures into that agency as quickly as possible.

Les Howard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LesHoward Find More Posts by LesHoward

Old 01-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38963
Comments: 2

timmerjean is offline IP: 69.178.126.154

And just think....now they can use you instead of those cheesy cartoons for those "gives you wings" Red Bull commercials. Congratulations to you and you're model.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timmerjean Find More Posts by timmerjean

Old 01-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54211

MarkC is offline IP: 69.205.127.14

Congrats!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MarkC Visit MarkC's homepage! Find More Posts by MarkC

Old 01-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 74.36.20.217

Congratulations!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Nice going, Scott. Congratulations.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

Congratulations !

Old 01-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 72.150.198.134

Hey Congrats, that's a terrific story and a great tear. Out of curiousity for us maketing types, what led the client to your portfolio on Acclaim? Did you ask what drew him to Acclaim and you? I am always interested/amazed at how something like this occurs when agencies have litterally hundreds of sites and millions of images potentially and they land on that one spot that gives someone a big break.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 01-19-2007, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.242.135.64

Way to go, Scott! Congrats! I'm not surprised they'd pick your work.

Doc

PS Your website is fantastic and is a great inspiration to this wannabe...
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 01-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 65.197.247.151

Thanks for all the congratulations.

I really don't know how they landed at Acclaim. I wouldn't call them a major player. Given Getty and other big boys have many, many more images, I would have thought they would be using them over a small shop. Maybe Gray has had success there in the past. I got the feeling it was a last minute thing for Miller. I was contacted in early Dec for a Feb issue.

With regard to paying Acclaim... I might consider that if Acclaim had ever done something for me. I've been with them for a year, and not one of my images show up in a search with the common key words (that they specified to me) and I've never sold an image through them. I was very surprised to even hear a referral from the site. To be fair, I did contact them about the upload being out of service, but they were doing a re-org and not available. I got an automated response and no call back. My effort to work through them ended with their silence. Fair?

Here's the scan from the actual magazine (cheap scanner and no adjustments)

And the original
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters