Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Soak up the sun... tips and hints needed
Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My beautiful wife has booked us on a Caribbean cruise for the first week of April. Our ports of call are Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. Those of you who are accomplished world travellers -- anyplaces that are particularly photogenic? Tips and hints about what to shoot?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Re: Soak up the sun... tips and hints needed
Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ed;
Congratulations, I know you and your wife will enjoy it a lot. When you stop at Nassau don't waste your time around town, take a taxi to Atlantis Resort. Since you are not a registered guest there it will cost you $20.00 to get it, it's worth it. Their backyard contains an outdoor aquaria of various kind, suspended bridge and several waterfalls. When you take pictures just don't make it look like're doing it professionally or they will ask you to leave. There is a nice public beach adjacent to the Atlantis you may also want to visit. If you care to see some images from Bahamas I took during Dave Blecman's workshop there then just click here: http://www.photoshooter.net/doc/bahamas.htm
Visiting St. Thomas will be a considerable upgrade in your stopover. Your ship will dock at a lovely Capital of St.Thomas named Charlotte Amalie, nice little city with rich history. When I took Rolando workshop in Virgin Islands I stayed over few more days to visit the area including St.John. Depending what you're interested in, but I would buy into a tour of the city and/or Island. I did some homework beforehand rented a 4WD and for the first time in my life drove on the left side of the street(I really paid attention to my driving then). It was a nice tour around the Island stopping for food and exotic drinks. If you like rum you can buy it by caseloads cheap and bring it to the ship(There is dutyfree store next to the airport for rum purchases). I never been to ST.Maarten, but I was told it's more remote. Well, have a pleasant trip and post pictures when you get back.

Coral McGhee of WashingtonDC at the Atlantis resort in Bahamas

Kelly on the public beach in Bahamas next to atlantis resort

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 01-16-2007, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bigtimebeginner

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 69.145.37.124

Agree about Atlantis... it is amazing... spent 7 days there in December. There is also a very beautiful lighthouse fairly close to the same area - out on the spit. You can't miss it, it will be on your east side when cruising into the harbor. Amazing photography site. Doubt your port stay will be long enough but if you get some time take a seaplane trip out to the Exumas. These are possibly the most spectacular remote isles around (at least that I've been too). Can't help with US Virgin Islands, yet!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bigtimebeginner

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 69.145.37.124

Youngest son...

Oldest son...

Lifeguard tower on beach...

Lifeguard on beach...

Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM
photoshooter
This message has been deleted by photoshooter. Reason: Duplicate
Old 01-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

Ed;
I forgot to put this in my previous post, but US Virgin Islands has a forum, you have to register, but so what. It will get you in contact with folks who were there very recently or are there now. The moderator, Anthony is also helpful. Here is the link: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.co...wforum.php?f=1
Bon Voyage!

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35488

medic319 is offline IP: 24.140.0.170

When in St. Thomas (I have been there 4 times) take the dive on Coki (Spelling?) beach. They have an introduction to diving shore excursion if you are not certified. You get a lesson and get the gear included in the price. You also get a bag of dog food to take out and feed to the fish. I had an underwater camera that I rented from a dive shop here in Ohio for $40 for the week. I have never seen so many fish on a dive.

I also spent alot of money at Boolchands (again, may not bee spelled just right) they have alot of camera stuff and my Dad was able to bargain with the guy to get some great deals on glass for my Canon cameras. This is one of the shops right there at the cruise ship terminal.

In St.Maarten / St. Martin we rented a car and drove around the island. My palms were sweating after that ride, but I would do it again. They have one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen there. Orient beach is breathtaking. You may or may not want to stay away from the nude end of the beach. My wife asked if I was going to go nude (when we walked up to the nude end of the beach) and I said "No way! Look what the sun does to that thing!" The crowd was much older than us there.

A neat photo op in St. Maarten is to go to the tiny beach right beside the airport. They land 747s there and they are just 50 feet above the beach when the pass over, you can feel the wake turbulence off of the wings of those Jumbos flying just overhead. It kind of reminds me of taking photos of B-52's as a kid standing in an Arkansas cotton field (just alot more beautiful).

Here is a link to a video of this beach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCBUYsRTO48

Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to medic319 Find More Posts by medic319

Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49050

Bill_Wood is offline IP: 206.173.63.2

While on St. Thomas I highly recommend a trip to Trunk Bay on St. John. Stunning beach, perhaps my favorite in the world so far, amazing snorkelling, and you can walk to the end for some distance from other travellers if you want to shoot. Perfect palms overhanging a sugar-white beach.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bill_Wood Find More Posts by Bill_Wood