Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Buyer beware!
Old 01-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There is an ad that will sometimes pop up using the Google Adwords for a $1599 deal on a Canon 5D. The ad will look like this:

You'll see many such ads across the Internet from a variety of different companies with "too good to be true" pricing. Most of the times these ads are from high pressure organizations that will try to sell you a lot of addons at an inflated price or switch you to another product. This is one of those ads. When you see an ad like this you should always check it out at a rating service. Here is the one I use:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store...rice_Cameras_6

which shows the rating of this company as .16 on a scale of 1 to 10. I had never seen anyone below 1 before, so this is quite an accomplishment.

Usually I try to only deal with companies that have a rating of 7 or better.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Buyer beware!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.173.245.75

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

...Usually I try to only deal with companies that have a rating of 7 or better...

Why on earth would you buy expensive stuff like this from ANY company you're not familiar with? In fact, why not buy it locally...if you don't have extortionate state sales tax, like California, probably local discounters can match any legitimate offer on the web.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpics View Post
...Usually I try to only deal with companies that have a rating of 7 or better...

Why on earth would you buy expensive stuff like this from ANY company you're not familiar with? In fact, why not buy it locally...if you don't have extortionate state sales tax, like California, probably local discounters can match any legitimate offer on the web.
The problem is that certain items(usually the more specialized ones) just aren't available locally. Also the price difference can be extreme. For example, a lens that I bought a year ago was $999 locally and $750 mail order (from a reputable dealer). And I didn't have to pay sales tax. Sales tax in my area if 8.25%. But I do try to stay with companies that I've dealt with before. And the rating company in the link does a pretty good job. I've used it many times and have had good success with companies with 7 or above. But when dealing with any mail order company, you need to take standard precautions. Find out what there return policy is, if there is a re-stocking fee, if its really a US warranty (not gray market). And always pay with a major credit card because then you can have the charge reversed in the case of a problem (which I've had to do over the years). Just the threat of a charge back will often make a mail order company sit up and take notice and correct any problem you report.

By the way, you mentioned "extortionate" sales tax. Is that a coined word for extortion and exorbitant? Is the sales tax in California really that high?

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

Roger, that's a good point you brought up. I have been told more than once that these internet companies operate off shore and sell merchandise without any US guaratees of any kind. So again, if you're in the market for a new camera deal with a company that s trustworthy.

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 01-15-2007, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Capri Photography

Member GG#: 45764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Jetboy is offline IP: 69.152.230.167

Quote:

Depends on the local sellers you have. I prefer to buy online from trusted sellers who can give me a better discount. Some local shops aren't much for customer service, so you don't want to deal with them anyway. Like thay say, "your mileage may vary..."

Alan B.

“Even under the best forms of government, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.” -Thomas Jefferson
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jetboy Visit Jetboy's homepage! Find More Posts by Jetboy

Old 01-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
Roger, that's a good point you brought up. I have been told more than once that these Internet companies operate off shore and sell merchandise without any US guarantees of any kind. So again, if you're in the market for a new camera deal with a company that s trustworthy.
Most of them are actually in the US, but they are able to get product outside of the formal import channels. It will have the standard international warranty of the company that makes it, but not a USA warranty which is only provided for "official" imports. These non-official imports are called gray market. Even many of the legit companies sell grey market, but they will tell you up front, show you want the price difference is, and let you buy an extended warranty (usually Mack). Generally the grey market savings are not really enough to justify the extra risk.

But some of the less reputable companies, not only sell grey market, but they strip the box when they get it. This means they might sell you the camera at a great price, but then tell you that you have to also buy a lens cap, instruction book, warranty, cables, and anything else that might have been in the box to start with. I've seen some companies that will sell you a $1000 item and then want $700 for a warranty (for an item that you can buy elsewhere for $1600).

Buyer beware!

Cheers,
rfs

Old 01-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ed Peters

Member GG#: 37945

epeters is offline IP: 65.193.202.162

I have noted on several Forums that Canon will accept non-USA equipment
in the US for warranty work, whereas Nikon will not. The gotcha is that Canon
does not say they will accept gray market equipment, which means they could
change their mind at any time. From my point of view a gray market item (Canon) is generally a safe buy, and is my policy (assuming significant price
reduction). As mentioned above always check: http://www.resellerratings.com/store...rice_Cameras_6 prior to buying from any internet company..

Old 01-16-2007, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35772

LesHoward is offline IP: 24.36.123.139

About retail sales tax ...

Here in Canada, we have the GST, a 6% federal sales tax plus PST, a provincial sales tax which varies from province to province. Here in Ontario it is 8%.

That means we pay 14% sales tax on virtually everything. Rates are similar in all other provinces except Alberta which has no PST.

Les Howard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LesHoward Find More Posts by LesHoward

Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.90.33

Quote:

I live in R can saw. there is one camera shop within a hoot and a hollar from me. they don't sell a lot of lighting equipment and what they do sell is full list.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 01-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.133.255.19

I'm probabbly the only person here that does this, but I don't buy any camera equipment via internet or mail order. I like being able to check the equipment myself before I purchase it. But then again, I live in a decent sized city with both an authorized Nikon and Canon dealer that both have a large stock on hand. I also like knowing that it won't take me 2 weeks to get a piece of equipment back if it isn't any good, plus you get to not just talk to a live person, but look right at them.

Isaiah