Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
We Have a Terrible Epidemic Here
Old 01-13-2007, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.66

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It absolutely breaks my heart to see such decent images of beautiful women on this and other forums that have been so horribly "photo-shopped" that the skin no longer looks real and the eyes look like aliens.

Some of you REALLY need to take a good hard long look at your retouching techniques and objectively realize that the models' faces no longer look real or believable.

Do you realize that model's skin hold great character? Why do some of you see the need to remove all wrinkles, lines, crows feet, freckles, beauty marks, and anything else that doesn't look like smooth plastic to you.

DOES ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS HAPPENING TOO?

Would you want YOUR face changed around (maybe some of you would, but let's stick to the point here)?

One of the reasons I am so fond of shooting mature models is their character. The years of perseverance, motherhood, marriage, divorce, career, or whatever thay have endured has made them what they are on the inside and outside. I love capturing that character.

Do I retouch? Sure

Do I remove small blemishes that are insignificant and maybe just a temporary blemish to begin with? Sure

Do I do a bit of minor clean up here and there? Sure

But my first priority is to make damn sure the retouching looks real and is as least noticable as possible, while retaining the model's character, as in wrinkles, moles, freckles, etc. Very FEW people have perfect skin.

david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB
Last edited by DaveB; 01-14-2007 at 01:02 PM..

Re: We Have a Terrible Epidemic Here
Old 01-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.141.182

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I don't do anything with eyes, but I go as far as I do with the skin (probably a little too far) because it is what they want. Most of what I have posted here is of women who are young, attractive, and terribly insecure with a much worse than average self image. Take your second image, for example. I love it as is. If I produced something like that for most of the women that I have worked with, I would get beaten with the nearest heavy object. The truely trivial and inconsequential flaws that they get worked up about never cease to amaze me. I have recently come to realize that, as a result, I do it reflexively, even when not needed.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 01-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Member GG#: 3
Comments: 1

Michael H Dean is offline IP: 71.224.136.147

I try to do as little as possible. Here's one with no Ps work to model at all except crop.

Model Janelle
MUA Laurie of LabMakeup.com

Click for larger version

Just had the shoot today so I may touch contrast, slight eye adjustment.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Michael H Dean Find More Posts by Michael H Dean

Old 01-13-2007, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.80.23

I'm on board with you. Things sometimes look a bit fake when it comes to retouching. I do about the same amount of retouching as you do, a pimple here removed, and some color corrections.

Isaiah

Click for larger version

Old 01-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46654

kohala is offline IP: 64.75.186.89

Dave:

The women I have photographed would not like your "minimalist" post-processing. In fact on one occasion the husband requested the before as well as the after (post-processed) photos. The female client hugged me and whispered "print the Photoshopped photos."

In my view, your entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to mine. I think "overprocessed images" are frequently stunning, especially ones exhibited in this forum.

There is room on this forum for all kinds of talented photographers. Let's bless our diversity and move on.

Aloha from the Big Island,

Kohala
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kohala Find More Posts by kohala

Old 01-14-2007, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 24.196.90.136

I think it depends on the reason for the picture. I usually do quite a bit of retouching to my photos. I want to show an idealized view of reality. I'm going to take out the little freckles, or cold sores, or small lines. Like I did with this one.

But I can definitely see where other people take it to far. When there's no texture at all in the skin, it kind of makes me wonder why someone bothers to take a photograph in the first place. If you want perfectly smooth PLASTIC skin, just draw it.
MM#84146
http://www.monkeymetal.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 01-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohala View Post
I think "overprocessed images" are frequently stunning, especially ones exhibited in this forum.

Aloha from the Big Island,

Kohala
At least we agree that they are in fact, OVERPROCESSED!
david@posneg.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 01-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytkiewicz View Post
I can definitely see where other people take it to far. When there's no texture at all in the skin, it kind of makes me wonder why someone bothers to take a photograph in the first place. If you want perfectly smooth PLASTIC skin, just draw it.
Amen!!
david@posneg.com

Old 01-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55886

dereckcurry is offline IP: 68.58.223.22

I'm not nearly as accomplished as many of you and haven't had the opportunity to do much work in the glamour area, but I have to agree that I'm not a big fan of post processing as it seems to take some of the drama out of the photo. I do as little as possible on my photos, but I do seem to spend some time on the eyes and remove a blemish here and there. But I too do get the requests from my subjects to make them as flawless as possible, and critiques on other sites have often said that I don't spend enough time removing the flaws.

The image below has some photoshop work done: brightened and sharpened the eyes, burned the background and a bright spot on the nose, removed a few stray hairs, and cropped. Fairly minimal stuff, but one critique another site said I should have smoothed the skin because the photographer didn't like skin texture.

Click for larger version
  View Public Profile Visit dereckcurry's homepage! Find More Posts by dereckcurry

Old 01-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

As I read a WSJ article, excerpt below, I thought of Dave's thread.

Wall Street Journal: Skin Tight Firms Face Off Over Wrinkles Subscription is required. Anyone without a WSJ subscription and wanting to read this article, please send me a message with your email address. I will then use WSJ's Email This feature to send you the article.

Quote:
Cosmetic medicine -- which involves the alteration of a patient's appearance -- has become big business, driven by new treatments that do not involve surgery. The market for drugs, dermal fillers and other devices used in cosmetic medicine totals about $15 billion, says Medical Insight Inc., a market-research firm in Aliso Viejo, Calif. Drugs and medical devices are streaming into the U.S. from abroad. Procedures involving surgery, such as traditional face-lifts and liposuction, fell by 5% between 2000 and 2005, but the Food and Drug Administration's recent decision to lift a 14-year ban on cosmetic use of silicone breast implants could lift those numbers.

More than 8.4 million minimally invasive cosmetic procedures were performed in the U.S. in 2005, 53% more than in 2000, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. About half were on patients between 35 and 50 years old. The greatest growth occurred in the 51-to-64-year-old crowd.

Linda Wiermasz, a 59-year-old cardiopulmonary-resuscitation instructor in East Haddam, Conn., says her Restylane dermal-filler treatments, which cost about $600, removed deep facial wrinkles and bags under her eyes so she no longer looks like she's been crying. "What it did for me is it made me look like I used to look," she says.

These days, doctors involved in the booming nonsurgical-cosmetic market are getting star treatment from drug companies. Florida dermatologist Kenneth R. Beer grumbled for years that no one at Allergan returned his calls. Now, the company is wooing him and other doctors who administer Botox shots, offering some of them paid overseas trips to train other doctors in Botox use. It also is doling out free syringes of its new dermal filler, Juvéderm.
The article is just background information for those who might be interested. Fwiw, this article was a Page One feature this weekend.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk