Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Seminars with a twist?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55922
Comments: 0

WhatsamattaU is offline IP: 152.163.101.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Question....

Just curious if anyone has considered reversing the format of the typical seminar, to where professional photographers and support personnel set up in lavish locations to photograph amatuer models?

I have been looking around and nothing really seems to be out there. May be a market you guy's could fill.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to WhatsamattaU Find More Posts by WhatsamattaU

Re: Seminars with a twist?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35772

LesHoward is offline IP: 24.36.123.139

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You probably haven't been looking very hard - or in the right places. Those are usually referred to as 'photography studios'. There are a few of them scattered throughout the country.

*chuckle*

Les Howard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LesHoward Find More Posts by LesHoward

Old 01-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.66

I have taught seminars on location in The Bahamas, Montreal, West Palm Beach, a 4-Day Carnival Cruise Model Shoot, and countless other domestic and internation locations.
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

I second what Dave Blecman said, I know I've been to few of his workshops and those were great. Recently I have been going once a month to shoot with several photogs at Art Ketchum Studios in Chicago. Art is unselfishly very helpful to the beginners and pays compliments to those who show innovative spirit and good attitude. What is also really helpful is that his family owns the Backdrop Outlet http://www.backdropoutlet.com so we have access to a wide veriety of backdrops and props. You may want to team up with some photogs in a larger nearby city where several of you may wish to collaborate. You may have to advertise for amateur models or chip in $ to hire more experienced ones. Hope it works out for you.

Here is a shot of Christin from Art Ketchum's Studio

Here is Mia strking a fashion pose, shot in the same studio same Sunday afternoon

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 01-08-2007, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38963
Comments: 2

timmerjean is offline IP: 69.178.126.154

Let me see if I got the question right. What you are proposing is a seminar where about 12-15 models or so pay good money to attend. What they get are 3-5 really good togs ( David Blecman, Jimmy D, Jt Smith, Bobby G, Eddy Baute, Ralph Haseltine, and other togs of this caliber, too numerous to list here) who bring, say, Sally K. for make up, and take turns over the course of a weekend being shot by said togs, and receive images to jumpstart their portfolios, and replace the umbiquous cell phone and arms length point and shoot images in their ports. Maybe a really good model in attendance who will give pointers on posing and other relevant facts on modeling. Correct?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timmerjean Find More Posts by timmerjean

Old 01-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55251

jeffadamshti is offline IP: 65.247.214.14

We do that often, Jeffrey
http://www.adamsphotographics.com
----
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeffadamshti Visit jeffadamshti's homepage! Find More Posts by jeffadamshti

Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

WhatsamattaU is offline IP: 205.188.116.131

No no...perhaps I was a little unclear.

I am wondering if anyone has ever gathered a few (2 or 3) highly accomplished professional photographers and support personnel at a specific location, and charged clients who are interested in being photographed by several different "togs" with top quality results. Essentially, the reverse of having professional models charging to pose for amatuer photographers in a traditional seminar.

Advertised appropriately, I would imagine there are an infinitely greater number of attractive women who would be intersted in paying for private, top-flite glamour sessions with gifted photographers, than there are aspiring glamour photographers interested ijn learnign the trade. Seems like it would be a bigger market.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe it's "been there, done that".
  View Public Profile Send a private message to WhatsamattaU Find More Posts by WhatsamattaU

Old 01-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.66

Models don't like to pay for photographers, remember? (smirk)

And I would think that if models WOULD pay for that scenario, they would want good strong commercial images, not glamour.

That being said, anything could possibly work with the proper promotion and marketing, but that takes a little up front money.

I would be interested in something you may want to try to put together.
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 01-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

WhatsamattaU is offline IP: 205.188.116.131

Dave...Actually marketing/sales is my thing, however I was simply wondering out loud.

I suppose I was thinking of the ultimate 180 from those hideous mall "Glamour Shots" days. Provide easy access to an actual top quality shoot with several people in one place.

More like Private Glamour
Old 01-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.158.16

Actually, it's called private glamour the way you described it, and most of those clients don't want their photos published nor do they want to go to Glamour Shots in the mall, they want you to come to their home where they are comfortable in their environment, almost like an environmental portrait. Most are at the youngest, 35, but normally 40-55 years of age and financially stable--they don't want to go to GlamourShots in a shopping mall and have theatrical make-up put on with a boa around their neck while other people watch.

Most don't want to be in front of many cameras, only one. It's basically one on one shooting which helps nourish the professional rapport built with two people, the photographer and subject. The shoot is always about the subject, not the photographer.

Some of these clients will come to your home and expect total privacy as they are usually upper-middle to upper-income and can afford for private shooting. Because it is private, it's usually only one subject. Note, these are subjects wanting to be photographed like a model, part of what I call "photographic therapy." (website coming soon) While all models are subjects, not all subjects are models. Sometimes you get lucky and they're photogenic as my client below.

On rare occasions, their images turn into commercial use, as in this photo of a New York times best-selling author Lisa Kleypas, with one exception, I was paid by her publisher, one of New York's largest, St. Martin's Press. This shot is from a series for her public relations/advertising campaign and 8-city book tour, including publication in the New York Times and People magazine that starts in about 55 days for her newest book, Sugar Daddy. It's also from a series where an image was chosen (not this one) for the back of Sugar Daddy, a hard-cover book with first print run of a quarter million copies.

But in a nutshell, you are describing more of a private glamour situation, which is in fact very lucrative when you target the right demographics. i will have a 1 1/2 hour presentation on this next week at FotoFusion along with other activities at Fotofusion. Most of these subjects would normally not want other subjects being photographed at the same time, they want total privacy, respect, attention and more important, feel like the celebrity on the photography set, as part of the "satisfaction" of the shoot comes from the process of the shoot too, such as having their own make-up artist, hair-stylist and photographer's attention.

On rare occassions, the "spouse" will also acccompany the subject, though this varies as some subjects want to suprise their spouse with a Valentines gift or present of some type. You'll find this more common with longer marriages as it helps spark up the romance even more.

What you describe exists, though not in a workshop format, more of a private photography session and can be lucrative if approached correctly. In fact, more lucrative than conducting a workshop. Normally, as a photographer, there is more money in this than publishing glamour photos.

Thanks for your post, wishing you the best, rg sends!

(Actual back cover image for New York Times Best Selling Author, Lisa Kleypas' newest book, Sugar Daddy, photographed by my front door.)

Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez