Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The style of the future?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362
Comments: 0

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.87.204

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've been getting back into photography after many many years. And, I have read a few psots and articles on various topics with regard to taking pictures of women. I said it like that because it covers all the bases, fashion, glamour, fashmour, portrait, whatever. I looked at the Maxim website last night, played a few Spinal Tap vids, and looked at the girly pics. In my return to the camera, I had a lot to learn, and I spent a lot of time on DPreview. Many were helpful, above all, Chuck Gardner. I've been getting up to speed, refreshing my shooting skills and I've noticed that what passes for a good photo has changed since I last shot a pretty face.

Some have talked about the fall of Playboy and the rise of Lad mags like Maxim and such, and the switch back to glamour from fashion. The ringflash style seems to still hang around, as do moody B&W's. I've always liked the Playboy style of the 80's. Not every photo or girl, but, I think the 80's was Playboy's golden years.

So, I'm courious as what you all think the futures holds for photography and the style/s that will be popular. which reminds me, I have to get my Gary Bernstien (sp?) book back for my friend. Not that his style is coming back, but it is still a good book.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Re: The style of the future?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.165.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I think the marketplace is looking for the next style break through. The master glamour photographers of the near future will be those who provide that new style. Who will be the pioneer?

Click for larger version

Perhaps this will be the new style. What I call the "R Fredrick Smith Rockwell knockoff style".

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 01-05-2007 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Is this going to be your signature style? That seems to be the deal now, an identifiable style. There is a guy that seems to have the illustrated pinup style down. Another shooter has made a name for himself shooting head shots for Hollywood types, I forget his name. Even our host seems to have a "shot". Is that the key to success? Having your own style?

Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.83.183

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakins View Post
So, I'm courious as what you all think the futures holds for photography and the style/s that will be popular...
Photography will be increasingly ubiquitous. The cell phone camera has shown that given easy access to a camera, the public will snap away...

I'd be willing to bet a few bucks that the next major glamour photography style revolution DOESN'T originate in the USA.

We've grown too restrictive with all the attendant political implications. Nobody's going to risk the wrath of the media, religious leaders, law enforcement, etc. by appealing to anything but the great masses. The buck rules...

Why is that European magazines cost 2 to 5 times what their USA versions do and are generally better produced? What is there about the European population that it doesn't get upset over a bare breast in a newspaper, magazine, or on the tube? Remember the Janet Jackson Superbowl "malfunction" uproar?

Nope, I figure the next great glamour innovator will come from somewhere with a more liberal viewpoint. Probably Europe as the Chinese are still pretty restrictive, but who knows. South America and Australia haven't been heard from much...

What will that style be? Hey, if I knew that I'd start shooting it now...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 01-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.202

I agree with Al Nowak,

The next breakthrough will probably not originate in America. Having lived in Europe since 1989 (South Korea is my first time to the Far East) I've noticed that they have a knack for creating sensual glamour with boat loads of class. Maybe an American that's lived abroad may usher the new style into reality.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 01-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Any european magazines worth looking at. I live in arkansas. that should be enough to explain the culture I live in. If it wasn't for the internet, I dunnno what I would do.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Any european magazines worth looking at. I live in arkansas. that should be enough to explain the culture I live in. If it wasn't for the internet, I dunnno what I would do.

If you go to a Barnes and Noble Book store, they will often have a number of the popular European magazines on the shelf. They are quite expensive when bought in the US but cost a lot less when actually bought in Europe. Check out the photo magazines. Everyone it seems comes with a CD or DVD attached.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

With a few exceptions like hip hop, rap, and "gangsta" influences, what has originated, stylistically, in the U.S.?

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 01-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.173.245.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
With a few exceptions like hip hop, rap, and "gangsta" influences, what has originated, stylistically, in the U.S.?
An enormous amount of superb product design and industrial design. "American look" fashions like Calvin Klein and similar. Some of the most stylish airplanes in history - the Constellation, for example. Superb photography and style, from Penn, Sally Mann, and many others. Some of the best "style" in cinematography. Many of the best styled cars. The entire "Cowboy west" masculine look and style. And a lot more.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Is this going to be your signature style? That seems to be the deal now, an identifiable style. There is a guy that seems to have the illustrated pinup style down. Another shooter has made a name for himself shooting head shots for Hollywood types, I forget his name. Even our host seems to have a "shot". Is that the key to success? Having your own style?
I don't think I could hold my self to one style. I like too many different styles. I'm always wanting to try something new. But having a fixed style and producing large body of work in that style is an important asset.
Cheers,
rfs