Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Comments anyone ?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.165.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've just been looking around all of the features on G1 and trying to decide which ones work and which ones don't. I've been watching one in particular for a few months, and have noted it is almost unused. Here is my example photo:

You'll notice no comments have been made on the photo. If you look at all of the photos currently in the new portfolio system, only a very tiny number have any comments at all, and the most comments for any photo is only 3 and only a handful have 3. But at the same time many of these photos such as my example have been viewed many hundreds of times. It seems like that making comments attached directly to the photos would be very helpful to the photographers. Now I don't mean the comments like "Great photograph", but more along the lines of tips, critiques, what to do better, and so forth.

Maybe its just that people haven't noticed the comment area. Let's take a look at where its located. Here is an example photo:

Click for larger version
Comments anyone ? 

Click on it. When the new page appears, scroll down past the thumbnails and you'll see the big picture. Then keep scrolling till you see this area:

Click on the button and enter a comment. Try it, you'll find it fun to make comments on photos. And ... there's even a special pair of menu options at the top of the photos page that lets you see the photos with the most comments and those with the most recent comments.

We could even have a contest. Who can make the most comments, or who can make the best comments, or ...

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Comments anyone ?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Great Collaborator

Member GG#: 38299
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to geowulf Send a message via AIM to geowulf Send a message via MSN to geowulf Send a message via Yahoo to geowulf

geowulf is offline IP: 67.128.3.2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sometimes I think I don't bother to comment because I like the image so much that I don't feel I can contribute much with a comment beyond "Great Photo!"

Most of my comments end up questions like: How do you manage to do this so well?! or Where did you get such a creative idea?

Are these the kinds of 'comments' that are welcome?

All too often I'm so critical of my own abilities (or lack thereof) that I don't feel worthy to leave anything worthwhile.

Just my 2 cents.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to geowulf Find More Posts by geowulf

Old 10-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.143.216

Do we need to post pictures before we can comment? Rule 10 and all.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 10-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.122.159

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Do we need to post pictures before we can comment? Rule 10 and all.
Since the comments in question are attached directly to a photo, you should not post a photo, but just a brief comment. Rule 10 is aimed at making a comment about a photo that is attached to a post.
See my notes also in response to geowolf about what sort of comments should be made.
Cheers,
Roger

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.122.159

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowulf View Post
Sometimes I think I don't bother to comment because I like the image so much that I don't feel I can contribute much with a comment beyond "Great Photo!"

Most of my comments end up questions like: How do you manage to do this so well?! or Where did you get such a creative idea?

Are these the kinds of 'comments' that are welcome?

All too often I'm so critical of my own abilities (or lack thereof) that I don't feel worthy to leave anything worthwhile.

Just my 2 cents.
The comment could ask a question or give any constructive criticism, etc. A question is always appropriate and can often produce followup comments that are useful concerning a given photo. I do think that the comments or questions should be kept quite short (not more than a few hundred characters). If longer comments are needed or answers to questions, then a post should be made referencing the photo and then making any comments or answers that might be needed.

Cheers,
Roger

Old 10-17-2007, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 75.23.179.246

IMO, this is an example of the decline in active participation on the site.

Participation, again IMO, has declined dramatically for the past year or so. I'm not saying G1 gets less traffic. In fact, I'm guessing it probably gets more traffic than ever before. I just don't see as much active participation as it once had.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45671

gaborm is offline IP: 70.245.252.60

+1

Looks like every other website that have to do anything with photography is all about nudity. Even a title of your tread will make a huge difference in the number of views you'll get on your image.

Good example here is a bug I posted in the macro forum was viewed 120 times in the last three and a half months, vs. the mushroom titled "naked under an umbrella" posted about the same time was viewed 912 times.
A picture I posted in the nude forum got over 800 views in 3 days.

The views vs comment ratios are about the same on more popular sites too.
I think the quality of the comments are more important than the quantity anyway and this site is very good about not holding back.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gaborm Find More Posts by gaborm

Old 10-18-2007, 04:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232

Driftwood is offline IP: 88.105.39.158

I very rarely browse the portfolios, and I don't think I would feel comfortable with adding a critique type comment on somebody's image if they hadn't actually posted it in one of the public forums. I might just tell someone if I came across an image that I particularly liked.
I spend most of my time reading the forum posts to see what others think of images too.

Of course, Jimmy is also right about the reduced participation. Probably too many other forum sites now fighting for our attention. I know I spend more time on a site that provides more UK based contacts.
This site is still among the best for real constructive criticism and help from other photographers though.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660

lsleelee is offline IP: 72.204.157.116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
I very rarely browse the portfolios, and I don't think I would feel comfortable with adding a critique type comment on somebody's image if they hadn't actually posted it in one of the public forums.
Exactly. If someone wants a critique or discussion they can post on the forum. That's what a forum is. I hate hate hate this "Web 2.0" (and I hate hate hate that term) blog-derived trend of having to redesign every web page, usually to its great detriment, to include a 'Comments' or 'Talkback' section on EVERYTHING. Some things aren't blogs. News stories aren't blogs. Pictures on a portfolio website aren't blogs. Product listings aren't blogs (have you tried navigating a listing on Amazon.com lately? what. the. hell.). Only blogs are blogs.

What's the point of having forums if we're turning everything into a mini-forum?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee

Old 10-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35498

NorthC is offline IP: 76.97.185.215

Comments on images...

Well, I dont spend much time on this site any more... but when I am here I look at the main page and see the top 10 posts... anything intresting I read...

If something does catch my eye and I want to see more from a photog or model... I have such a damn time finding any portfolio of any kind...

I am sure that it is just as easy as click here or there, but really, I am not new here and the new site is not something I enjoy anymore.

So no, comments on images no thanks...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to NorthC Visit NorthC's homepage! Find More Posts by NorthC