Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Sneaky ads
Old 01-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.165.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I noted with amusement one of the ads that is showing up from the Google adwords on G1. It looks like this:

If you click on it you get to choose whether you are a boy or girl, then you choose your sign, and then you enter your cell phone number and they will send you a pin number which you have to enter. What's it all about? What will you get? When will you learn who your soul mate is?

Well if you scroll down on one of the pages, you'll see very tiny print telling you that you will be charged $9.99 a month and $5.99 a month for a daily horoscope and love wallpaper. Wow! What a deal?

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Sneaky ads
Old 01-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quick note. The print on their terms really was very small and I misread part of it. Its not $5.99 per month, but per Week. So the monthly cost if you complete the signup is between $34 and $38 per month. Wow, what a deal!!!!

Second note: I noticed a toll free number in the fine print, so I looked it up on the Internet and found this:

http://www.tvgasm.com/shows/americas...del-1-3709.php

Its a rather amusing piece about the ad in question. It was also amusing because he did the same thing I did, misread the $5.99 being a weekly not montly charge.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 01-03-2007 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Google this, Google:

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Not "Sneaky" - Dishonest and Unfair
Old 01-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.173.245.75

I don't share our esteemed colleague's amusement. The ad is sleazy and deceptive. It uses deceptive "come on" and hides the real terms. As shown, inter alia, by the astonishing price based on WEEKLY charges, where most people, if they even saw the price, would assume it is MONTHLY. Would even people foolish enough to believe in astrology pay that kind of money, when the nonsense is available free in local newspapers and women's magazines, or online? I am especially disgusted because ads like these target the dumbest, most ignorant people --those who believe in horoscopes and like nonsense.

If there's anything scummier than gypping people, it's gypping the most gullible, least sophisticated, and often the ones least financially able to withstand being gypped. That's how it is with scams like "work at home" gyps.

BTW, I wrote to Google about their involvement in this and other scam ads. Despite Google's motto, "Do No Evil," I have not had a response. I also note, as do other observers, that there is no easy way to report questionable ads to Google. BTW, for those with legal interest, my esteemed colleague's reproduction of the ad IS fair use, because it is for purposes of commentary and criticism.

Should be filtered out now...
Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.158.16

I've added it to the filter-out list at Google, hopefully we won't see it here again, thanks, rg.
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Not "Sneaky" - Dishonest and Unfair
Old 01-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpics View Post
I don't share our esteemed colleague's amusement. The ad is sleazy and deceptive. It uses deceptive "come on" and hides the real terms. As shown, inter alia, by the astonishing price based on WEEKLY charges, where most people, if they even saw the price, would assume it is MONTHLY. Would even people foolish enough to believe in astrology pay that kind of money, when the nonsense is available free in local newspapers and women's magazines, or online? I am especially disgusted because ads like these target the dumbest, most ignorant people --those who believe in horoscopes and like nonsense.

If there's anything scummier than gypping people, it's gypping the most gullible, least sophisticated, and often the ones least financially able to withstand being gypped. That's how it is with scams like "work at home" gyps.

BTW, I wrote to Google about their involvement in this and other scam ads. Despite Google's motto, "Do No Evil," I have not had a response. I also note, as do other observers, that there is no easy way to report questionable ads to Google. BTW, for those with legal interest, my esteemed colleague's reproduction of the ad IS fair use, because it is for purposes of commentary and criticism.
I think you may have missed the whole point of my amusement over the ad. Just take a look at my screen shot and you should see the reason. But just to make sure you understand, I was amused to see this ad on Glamour 1. The Google ads are shown on pages based on matching the content of the ad to the subjects that appear on the page of the site on which they appear. I was amused that this ad should show up on a site about Glamour photography. Of course, in reality, I know what triggered it showing up on G1 and which word in the ad did the triggering, but I'll leave that as something for you to ponder over.

As to the statements you make, about people being foolish to believe in astrology, well that is sort of insulting to many in the world. Some of the greatest scholars, politicians and talking heads believe in astrology. In effect, belief in astrology is a religious belief. I was always taught that scoffing at someone else's religious beliefs was impolite. You have further called these great scholars, politicians and other great individuals of history "dumb" and "most ignorant". That may be your personal opinion, but many of these people you are thus attacking were considered to be highly intelligent.

And writing to Google and then saying you have not gotten a response is sort of like the news reporter's I see that try to make someone look evil by saying "Attempts to contact ... were unsuccessful" while never mentioning that a single attempt might just have been when they weren't available because they were out of town, or in the hospital, or whatever. Also you don't say how long ago you sent a message to Google. Was it a long enough time to get a response. Also, should you expect a response. Generally not. Google does respond to these complaints because I make hundreds of them a year. They rarely respond directly, but I see the offending ads removed in 90% of the cases.

Further, you again try to place the blame on Google when you full well that there are many circumstances about these ads that would make it very difficult for Google to monitor them. In fact you wrote to me twice by private message on G1 about this very subject and I went into great detail about why Google could not directly monitor the content of ads. It's interesting to see that you failed to take any of that discussion into consideration in your statements above.

By the way, it is quite easy to report suspect ad to Google. Just use this URL:

https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...y?answer=18386

How was I able to find this page. I let you in on my little secret. I typed this in the Google search engine:

report google ad

My that was difficult to find!

Last minute addition. I forgot to mention the other obvious way to report a Google Ad problem, just click on the little notice at the bottom of the ad where it says "Ads by Google". You'll be take to a page with a large link at the bottom where it lets you send a comment on the ad you saw. It will include all the details about the ad and where you saw it.

Cheers,
rfs

Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 01-04-2007 at 06:34 PM..

Re: Should be filtered out now...
Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandogomez View Post
I've added it to the filter-out list at Google, hopefully we won't see it here again, thanks, rg.
That's great. I wish more sites were like G1, and would be willing to go the extra mile for their members by making good use of not only the Google tools but other avenues of improving the site for all of us.
Cheers,
rfs

Old 01-04-2007, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45345
Comments: 0

jeandarnall is offline IP: 71.113.132.18

Well, I just got home and see that it is still coming up on my computer.

Jean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeandarnall Find More Posts by jeandarnall

Old 01-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

It doesnt work instantly. There's anywhere from a 2 or 3 hour to a 48 hour time lag. Lot's of caching going on, etc.
cheers,
rfs

Old 01-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.164.138.39

If you use the Firefox browser, you can install the Adblock extension and not see any annoying ads It works surprisingly well.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters