Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
New to site, looking for help
Old 12-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56452
Comments: 0

morrisphotodotnet is offline IP: 69.115.11.148

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello to all,
I really like this website, there are lots of tips and ideas for newbies. There is one thing that I cant seem to find though.
I have been doing industrial, scenic and landscape photography for about 12 years. To me it is much easier to find a tree, mountain or cityscape and say "I want to take your picture", it never seems to refuse. A few months ago I found this site after looking for something new to try. I have photographed a few subjects mainly friends of mine, but they just dont have the look im looking for. I do see that the site has a topic on approaching subjects to shoot, unfortunatly I am a very shy person and find it difficult to do that. I do, however post on several forums looking for subjects, but dont seem to be getting any responces. Does anyone know or have ideas on how to attact people for shoots.
I wasnt sure if i should cut and paste my add in here showing an example of what i post.
Thank you for your help
  View Public Profile Send a private message to morrisphotodotnet Find More Posts by morrisphotodotnet

Re: New to site, looking for help
Old 12-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, have you tried hooking up with a photog who offers workshops. It may be initially little cost involved, but that will get your foot in the door and have a chance working with models. I can think at least two photogs who can help you, that's Rolando Gomez and Dave Blecman, there may be more. Incidentally, I too was photographing, landscapes and nature and some people in photojournalistic style, when I wanted to work with models going to workshops helped me more with lighting techniques and I am still learning. Isn't art wonderful?
Jade Blue of LA

Malloy K of Alabama, may be Florida by now.

Christin of Chicago

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 12-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 71.82.167.242

I've found most of the people I've photographed on myspace.com I browse through the newly added people and send a short e-mail to the ones I'd like to photograph. Here's an example of my first e-mail.

Hey,

"My name is Josh Zytkiewicz, I'm 26 and I live on the west side of Madison. I'm a photographer and I think it'd be fun to work with you as my subject. If you'd like to know more, message me back.

Josh"

If they respond I send them a longer one like this:

"Thanks for responding, I'm glad you're interested in modeling for me.

A little more about myself. Like I said I'm 26. I've lived in the Madison area since late 2000. I first got started in photography in high school and I've been hooked ever since. I like photographing all kinds of things, some days I'll take my camera and just walk around for a few hours, but my favorite subject is people.

Most of my shoot's are done as TFCD. Which means you trade your time and energy modeling in exchange for my photographic skills and a CD of the pictures we create. You can use the pictures on your myspace profile, print them out, give them as gifts, pretty much anything except sell them. I'll use the pictures on my website and myspace profile. Feel free to take a look at both http://www.myspace.com/monkeymetal and http://www.monkeymetal.com

There are a few main types of styles that I'm interested in exploring. Each has their own feel and usual elements and we can customize them to suit your interests. I don't expect everyone to be interested in every kind.

Alternative and fetish -- Sometimes dark, with harsh shadows. Other times with bright loud colors. Really the only rule for this category is that it can't be mainstream.

Portraits in color or black & white -- Remember your senior pictures? Yeah, kinda like that. If you're an actress, muscian, or politician you need a good head shot.

Fashion--Historically to show off the clothes it's been merging with the next category to form Glashion or Flamour

Glamour--Glamour is about sensuality, sultriness, sexiness and seductivness. Sometimes that means nudity, sometimes it means the nudity is only implied (like a model lounging in bed), sometimes you're fully clothed. Think Maxim or FHM.

Abstract Nudes/Figure modeling-- Whether it's a carefully lit shot of the curve of your back, or a classic black and white art nude, In this style you have to show skin. How much and what parts is totally up to you. Everyone has different comfort levels. I had one model that was okay with taking topless photo's but there was no way she was going to let me take any pictures of her butt in a thong.

I look forward to working with you,

Josh"

I've been on myspace for about a year now doing this. Now I have friends of people I've shot contacting me, saying you took pictures of so and so and she said you were good. I have 2 shoots already lined up for January this way.

If you have any other questions let me know.
MM#84146
http://www.monkeymetal.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 12-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.66

I have always found, when I was first getting started, that the easiest way to approach a subject was with a business card.

If I saw someone I was interested in shooting, I would give them my card, tell them what I do, and what I would like to do (as far as a shoot) and give them my card.

I told them I didn't want their name or number, that if they were interested they would have to call me. Otherwise, I would tell them to just toss the card.

No pressure, no name or number to give out to a stranger. Thay have your card and the ball is in their court. Very non-threatening.

Click Here for My Next Lighting Workshop
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB