Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
An Interesting Take on TFP/TFCD...part 2
Old 12-22-2006, 04:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.6.163.136

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Oh I might stir up some crap here again but the last thread started from a link by jimmyd degenerated and I wanted to bring this back to the beginning...and so here goes...

Having read the blog and the subsequent thread here on G1, I must honestly admit a few things...

1) I am truly a "Hobbyist" although I hope I'm many many steps up from a GWC. I prefer to consider myself as a "Semi-Pro" because, while I don't make money from my TFP/CD portfolio photography, I do try to assume a "Pro" attitude towards my skills, my experience, my respect for the models and my reputation. But, I also have to admit that I'm human and there are more than a few models who are still waiting for their polished images (they have slightly tweaked web size/res images either on CD or uploaded to them). I feel guilty enough about being behind on my obligations but I do have to focus on my daily job and family first.

2) I look for models willing to pose on a TFP/CD basis before considering paid models. I still do consider myself 'a student' as I'm still learning. There's so much to learn and, because of my day job, I tend to shoot more infrequently than I'd like to or to truly gain a lot of experience...and consistency. My 'hunting grounds' are the modeling forums (such as that Other M Place and MM) and my 'quarry' are those new wannabe models who post that they have no experience and post (obvious) webcam shots or self photographed Point'n'Shoot images as their starting photos on their profiles. I contact them and offer TFP sessions to provide them with FAR better images to start.

3) I'm trying to figure out how the hell I can start making some money (not much) to help offset the expenses I'm putting out in terms of equipment I have and equipment I still want to get...all to help expand my possibilities. Staying with portfolio TFP/CD will NOT get me there but TFP/CD *does* get me a selection of models to hone my photography AND provide for some great experiences...AND **Fun**.

As much as I'd like to pay the models, I'd also like to get paid. So I envision a scenerio similar to Escher's 'Drawing Hands'...where I'm giving payment with one hand while receiving payment with the other. The net result is $0....essentially TFP/CD.

Anyway I think I have had enough time, effort and experience now to formulate a plan...

If I approach the model...
1) Portfolio TFP/CD sessions will always be offered for Casual Outdoor/Location shoots. Everyone is responsible for themselves and their own equipment/clothing/makeup/hair. Images provided.
2) Portfolio sessions that go indoors to studio situations or require a MUA will be "Expenses Covered by Model"...ie. Studio rental, MUA kit costs, any other expenses that come up. My time will still be freely given. Images provided.

If a model/subject approaches me...
3) I'll add a token amount ($100 for complete session/post production) for my time but still expenses paid by model/subject. Images provided

If this is a 'Creative Project' shoot (still primarily a Portfolio shoot)...
4) Costs are split between myself and model. My time is free. Images provided

If this is my own project for my use or for further sales
5) I pay model and cover all other costs. NO images provided except on cost. These will truly be my own images to work on at my leisure and possibly sold for my own financial benefit.

At least this is my intent. But, if asked nicely (preferrably with the word "Please" tossed in) I'm just as likely to give a break or cover. I will however say that I might ask for a favor down the road.

There are too many Wannabes I've come across who assume that right from the start they should be monetarily compensated at some outrageous rate without having proven themselves or put in some initial time. Those I tend to shy away from. You can't expect to be paid top dollar when you are just starting out.

Comments?

Can I get an "amen" from the choir?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My friend, you have defined "garage" glamour, and many of us are content to tinker in the garage.

Amidst all of the caca tossed around here of late are those of us who do this for fun - because we enjoy the process of creation, because we can't draw or paint, or even because we just like to take good pictures of attractive subjects. We aren't pros with a curriculum vitae out the wazoo. We're "just some guy, you know". We strive and aspire to be better than the GWCs, but we don't want or are not ready to leave our day jobs behind.

For us, the collaborative effort is our business model. For us the bottom line is not a new tear sheet or print sale. We just want to have fun. We want to tinker in the garage, and if, in the meantime we tune up a Stingray, well that just adds to the satisfaction.

Merry Christmas!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Re: An Interesting Take on TFP/TFCD...part 2
Old 12-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.86.125

Amen to that brother.

Isaiah Brink

Click for larger version

Old 12-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.158.16

Now that's a great approach toward TFP between photographers and models as individuals engaged in the creative process. Just plain common sense. Thanks for sharing, and Happy Holidays, rg sends!

Click for larger version
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 12-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 35735

RickHughes is offline IP: 69.94.193.135

There is certainly nothing wrong with being a "garage" photographer. There is nothing wrong with being a mechanic in your garage or anything else.

There are people that do amazing things with cars in their free time. there are people that do amazing things with photography as well.
  View Public Profile Visit RickHughes's homepage! Find More Posts by RickHughes

Old 12-22-2006, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56341

MrFluffy is offline IP: 195.224.16.135

I've posted a follow up in the blog if anyone is interested:
http://www.fluffytek.com/blog/2006/1...te-part-2.html

Fluffytek Photographic Art Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MrFluffy Visit MrFluffy's homepage! Find More Posts by MrFluffy

Old 12-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.107.150

With the cost of equipment being what it is, who can afford a stingray? If you have a wife and kids, and a vette, and do this photography thing, Then I suggest you run outside and scream "Life is good!" If you don't have a wife, run outside, drop your pants, and scream "Life is vey good!".
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 12-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

i don't shoot much TFP. i do sometimes shoot TFC. if you want to know something about TFC, check out my latest blog update at http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55251

jeffadamshti is offline IP: 12.210.11.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
i don't shoot much TFP. i do sometimes shoot TFC. if you want to know something about TFC, check out my latest blog update at http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
A Lot of what models THINK will be TFP is really TFC and they only find out later. Models check your release, photogs, be upfront. I shoot TFC all the time because I get paid eventually by the publication, but I am always sure to represent it as such, and share the revenue with the model if the publication or paysite doesn't pay the model seperately. J
http://www.adamsphotographics.com
----
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeffadamshti Visit jeffadamshti's homepage! Find More Posts by jeffadamshti

Old 12-23-2006, 04:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.6.163.136

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFluffy View Post
I've posted a follow up in the blog if anyone is interested:
http://www.fluffytek.com/blog/2006/1...te-part-2.html
To keep this within G1 here's what I wrote in response to your blog on your blog...

Richard, much of what you said in your blog in relation to what I had posted in G1 has relevance. I can't disagree with most of it. There were a few points that perhaps I should have clarified.

I was mostly talking about Portfolio shots...not Fashion or Product or Concept. Straight forward "This is me" kind of shots. The requirement for the model to pay the expenses is because I don't make one red cent from these shoots. Portfolio images really have little marketability and are specific for the Models' use to show other photographers and paying clients. So typically such a shoot with Studio, MUA and such can run into the hundreds of dollars. Well, I like what I'm doing but not to the extent of covering that cost...especially in this case.

What the Model comes away from this are images that are bankable to her (indirectly unless she sells copies) but are basically worthless to me...other than as examples of what I have done. So, yes, there is some money that is exchanged (for Studio rental and MUA work/kit) but it's still TFP from me as I don't expect payment.

Anyway, I would have liked to have seen your response on G1. But at least you responded and it's viewable on your blog.
Richard W. (TrueBeauty.ca)