Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Workshops
Old 12-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 53889
Comments: 0

ImageCreator is offline IP: 68.245.199.44

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello everyone, my name is Anthony. I have been reading these forums for nearly a year now but this is my first post. I have lurked in the shadows admiring some of the amazing and inspiring work by many of the members here. this past year I purchased my first DSLR and am continuing to learn.

I am in the process of deciding to attend some workshops. Since there has been so much recent discussion regarding workshops, I figured now would be a good time to ask about others experiencess. Please be aware that I am not looking to start a thread that praises or bashes anyone's workshop offerings. Matter of fact, I would prefer to discuss your experiences via private message to keep this thread tame.

I am looking for those that have attended Rolando's workshops, JT's Supershoots and Rick Hughes' Focus Workshops. I am interested to know how much actual instruction and teaching I will receive and will I leave the workshop confident that I can recreate what I just learned. Will I be taught how to determine what equipment to use for various locations ? Are participants taught why certain lights, reflectors, etc. have been used and how to decide when and what to use, or are the sets pre-determined and I just stand there with my camera firing off shots but not learning how the finished product was achieved ? Will I learn how to determine what lighting to use to achieve a particular look for a particular location such as outdoor with available light, use of reflectors, indoor lighting, simple light setups using just one light, lighting for various locations, etc ?

I realize I am asking a lot but just trying to decide which workshop will be the best value for me.

If any of the promoters of these workshops is reading this, please respond as well.

Thank you in advance for any that can take the time to reply.

Anthony
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ImageCreator Find More Posts by ImageCreator

Re: Workshops
Old 12-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.66

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You'll get your answers to my past workshop right here:

Workshop Feedback
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 12-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55264

missinglink786 is offline IP: 72.89.250.171

I can personally vouch for Dave's workshop. He took the time to describe exactly what he was doing and most importantly why. He showed us so many little things that we easily would have overlooked like when constructing a setup we need to concentrate not only on the model and the lighting on her, but also whats in front of her and behind her. He showed us the equipment he used and also included a description of why he chose those particular items. Even when we had our individual shooting times he was right there to give us tips, direction, and help. Even though there were 12 guys there his workshop felt more like one on one instruction. Dave's teaching style is second to none. I was thinking of attending Rolando's Philadelphia workshop... I hope it's like Dave's.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to missinglink786 Find More Posts by missinglink786

Old 12-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

See my review of the Rolando Gomez workshops based on 7 + workshops at

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/main-...tml#post239566

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageCreator View Post

I realize I am asking a lot but just trying to decide which workshop will be the best value for me.
that's what people need to decide. if you want to learn about lighting, I'm sure some workshops are better than others. If you're looking to add images of certain models to your port, again, some workshops might be better for you than others. Are you looking for a broader approach? A more focused approach? Smaller workshops? Workshops held in exotic locales? all these are questions prospective attendees should ask themselves. It's not always about one workshop being better than another, it's about each prospective attendee's individual needs and which workshops best fullfills those needs. All workshops cannot be all things to all who attend.

I'm developing a workshop where all the shooters get to sleep with all the models.

I'm kidding!!!! I'm just kidding!!!

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 53889

ImageCreator is offline IP: 68.245.199.44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
... It's not always about one workshop being better than another, it's about each prospective attendee's individual needs and which workshops best fullfills those needs. All workshops cannot be all things to all who attend.
Jimmy,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm more interested in quality instead of quantity. I could care less if I leave a workshop with 1 or 1000 images if that 1 image taught me something and the 999 were just me standing there clicking off images that I didn't learn anything from. As far as who the models are, also not my main concern since I am fortunate that my girlfriend of 6 years is a fitness/figure model, so I can come home and apply what I learned using her as my model.

My main interest is learning how to use strobes, light modifiers, light meters, how to decide light placement, how many lights to use, single light techniques, multiple light techniques, available light techniques, etc.

Up until this point I have only shot outdoors with available light, no flash, no reflectors. I am interested in expanding my capability before I invest in lighting.

Thanks !

Anthony
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ImageCreator Find More Posts by ImageCreator

Old 12-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55264

missinglink786 is offline IP: 152.163.100.14

What you described as what you wanted is exactly whate Dave Blecman's glamour lighting workshop is. He explains why hes using the lights he's using, why hes chosen to place them where hes placed them and how to use a light meter.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to missinglink786 Find More Posts by missinglink786

Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Photographer/Instructor

Member GG#: 52660
Send a message via AIM to DaveB Send a message via Yahoo to DaveB Send a message via Skype™ to DaveB

DaveB is offline IP: 69.250.79.66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
I'm developing a workshop where all the shooters get to sleep with all the models.
I tried that. It didn't work. The models only wanted to sleep with the photographers that had the 500mm fast lenses.
david@posneg.com
My Current Photography Workshops
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveB Visit DaveB's homepage! Find More Posts by DaveB

Old 12-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.158.16

Anthony,

Hi. Thanks for your post. I believe jimmy said it best,
Quote:
All workshops cannot be all things to all who attend.
The ones you mentioned are all great avenues, including Dave's, as I've seen Dave in action and he's an effective teacher. You might also try Robert Sanders, David Mecey, Jerry Avenaim, and Greg Gorman to name a few others--Greg is not glamour based, but very effective in lighting. I'm not sure if Christian is still teaching, but he's another great teacher along with Rich Warren.

As an example, I provide one-on-one personal instruction, I've done over 25 sessions this year including to one person, who not only took three days of personal instruction, but recently attended our Virgin Islands Exotic (weeklong, Nov. 2006) workshop and will be attending our "one-day" special workshop here in San Antonio the day before the National PPA convention here. That individual, Mark (aka as sirrduke2010 on G1) had already attend other workshops, but enjoyed coming back so much, he's already signed up for our France workshop.

That's personal premium instruction, the Virgin Islands, a one-day workshop and now France. All those workshops are so diverse and different, but yet they all will cover the necessary fundamentals to improve your photography and hopefully you move toward fine-tuning your style.

Same with Doc Kahn (aka icuphotography on G1), he's been to the Virgin Islands, two-days of private instruction, one-day workshop in San Antonio, and attened my weekend workshops in San Antonio, Chicago, Atlanta and I'm sure somewhere else. Also now a great friend, loyal and even my family loves him. Oh, and he owns an ABR800, he brought it to my San Antonio workshop and we had fun with it. (grin)

Roger (aka R_Fredrick_Smith on G1) is an other example who posted here, he's been to my IGBN 2-day weekend workshops which are bigger, less shooting, but great values with great models and make-up, yet he also went to a recent Virgin Islands workshop.

John O (aka photoshooter) went to the Virgin Islands and Maui with us, and as he stated, I hopped in a golf cart with him and Playboy Playmate Holley Dorrough and I lugged the equipment inside old military tunnels, up a hill, down a hill and helped him with his shots. Not to take away from his photography, but the fun part of the entire experience was each time he'd meter a shot, before he'd state what the meter read, I would tell him the exact exposure. While I was having fun witht this, and probably more lucky guesses than anything, I nailed every exposure, inside and outside, with and without flash. We still laugh at it today.

There are many others out there like Paul Hu, Doc Robert, Vic, Wijtek, Wojtek, Citter, Carl, etc., who've been to more than one of my exotic workshops along with attending my weekend one too, some even with private instruction and the one-day.

While a few may say they didn't like the weekend workshop experience, that's to be expected with any workshop experience, though those are far and few between and yet you still many that will swear by them and the experience they had, I have many that have come to over a dozen of them. It varies on each individuals needs.

Alan B (aka jetboy on G1), went to two Virgin Island workshops, including the last one, Maui, at least 10 of my 2-day workshops, and even attended my 3-day workshop for the Julia Dean School of Photography in Los Angeles. I might add, Alan is not only a great photographer and attendee, but helps me a lot like an assistant and was also published in my glamour photography book by Amherst and he has work in book two as well as many of my past workshop attendees.

I do offer every attendee the opportunity to submit images for possible publication, albeit, it's always up to the photo editor and editor from my publisher, but we've had many, even Gordon Jones (aka GalleryG) who is now internationally published as his first Virgin Islands workshop garnered him a full page in my book of a Playboy model and the same image was published in a European photography magazine five weeks ago. I might add Gordon first attended my workshop in Atlanta and he now hosts my workshops in Portland and is a great, no even better, true friend of mine.

Ralph Haseltine (aka RalphH on G1) he's recruited over half of the 50-plus photographers that work for his real-estate photography business right here on G1, he's an admin here and right there with Gordon, one heck of a friend and pal. I first met him three years ago at my Cozumel workshop, since then he's hosted many workshops in Chicago for me--and goes out of his, like Gordon, to ensure there are no problems--even has a limo take us to the airport! He's been to two Virgin Islands workshops, including the last one and our Maryland Mansion one-day shoot. He's also attended my two-day workshops in Atlanta. Here's a man who's been internationally published not only in my book, but with 12-tearsheets for the Page Three feature of the South Afrika version and sister paper of the London Daily Sun.

Michael Dean (aka Michael H Dean) another person very similar to Ralph and Gordon. He's not only our host for at least a dozen Philly workshops, I met him at my very second workshop ever held. Since then he's been to Los Angeles, San Antonio, Atlanta and other workshops and has even accompanied me and helped at Photo Plus Expo in NYC and Photo Marketing Association annual event. He also was our Maryland Mansion host--nope, not his mansion, just friends with the owner. Michael is also in my book and the upcoming one too.

I could give you examples all day long, even then I can assure you there are those do not like my workshops for whatever reason and I've seen that at with other workshop hosts, as jimmy said, you can't please them all, but most of us give 110% to make sure it's an ejoyable experience. I cover many things and you can follow-up and reinforce it with my book as photography cannot be taught in 2-days much less two-weeks. Brooks Institute of Photography has a 4-year program for photography. Speaking of, many local colleges or art craft centers off good and fairly inexpensive classes. Look to see if you have a local Camera Club and what they have to offer.

I recommend you look at your budget first as there are a great many other workshops out there too, even folks that are not on this site like Greg Gorman, Workshops at the Maine Photographic Workshops, Santa Fe, Julia Dean in LA (I teach there too), Palm Beach Photographic Center (I teach there too), Photo Plus Expo in NYC (more seminars than workshop but great experience, I speak there too), FotoFusion (next month, same as Photo Plus, I also speak and do a beach seminar there) and the list can go on and one.

Since you are focused in what you want, I recommend something like an Exotic workshop verses a weekend event. Those types of events the model/photog ration is only two photographers with one model, so it's a more hands on approach and we get more time, from sun-up to sunrise, we don't close our doors at 5 p.m., we all stay together for a week, max of ten photographers, and we keep it very personable. In fact, we include one free weekend workshop with each Exotic workshop you take, France is two free ones. So you can actually get both in that manner.

I'll also make a note, I've had my cell phone number for almost 14-years now, and unless something goes haywire I have no reason to change it. I always hand out my cards at the workshops with that and my office number, my attendees know they can call me anytime, and if I'm availble I will take the call as I believe in customer support even after the service.

One other thing, those that attend workshops by Hensel sponsored photographers like David Mecey, Greg Gorman, Robert Sanders, Focus Workshops and my own, are entitled to a free beauty dish (a $249 value) with certain purchases. I also provide other sponsored benefits, a great way to get some of your investment back.

You can see some of the other workshop promoters here, http://www.henselusa.com/shooters.html

Ultimately it will be your decision, but you're on the right track by asking and making an informed purchasing decision. I hope that helps, wishing you the best and Happy Holidays! rg sends!

(So far my workshop attendees have had two book opportunities to be internationally published, many have achieved this status and more!)

Click for larger version

Click for larger version
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez
Last edited by rolandogomez; 12-21-2006 at 03:32 PM..

Old 12-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageCreator View Post
I would prefer to discuss your experiences via private message to keep this thread tame.
Gee, and here I'd thought I'd screwed up by sending my response via private message ... LOL

Anyway, I sent my thoughts your way Anthony, best of luck with it!

Dave