Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Kodak, Picture Kiosks, and Copyright
Old 12-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737
Comments: 0

David Bunch is offline IP: 216.231.162.9

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My full-time job is managing a 1-hr. photo lab for a major chain store. I recently attended a regional meeting during which a Kodak rep was touting the benefits of their newest kiosks, specifically the quality of the scanners and the accuracy of the software. The rep made SURE to remind all of us to remove any passwords which would limit the customer from completing the order themselves (previously in place to help prevent prank waste), and NOT to inspect any pictures being copied, or the actual copies made. It seems their legal dept. has determined that if the lab personnel are not aware that the customer is violating copyright, the lab is not liable - only the customer.

So Kodak actively produces and markets equipment which is capable of enabling consumers to violate copyright, but they also encourage lab personnel to turn a blind eye and do nothing to stop it. They prolly figured out that the main reason a person would want a photo copied is to copy a photo they didn't take in the first place.

The Moral? If you thought Kodak cared one whit about Pros you were naive, and if you're a Pro and you still depend on the print orders for the majority of your income, you better think seriously about shifting to a labor-based business type a.s.a.p.

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

Re: Kodak, Picture Kiosks, and Copyright
Old 12-19-2006, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.25.247.217

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bunch View Post

The Moral? If you thought Kodak cared one whit about Pros you were naive, and if you're a Pro and you still depend on the print orders for the majority of your income, you better think seriously about shifting to a labor-based business type a.s.a.p.

David
Kodak has always been interested in the consumer vs the pro. Now more than ever. It doesn't surprise me at all.

I said this a thousand times. The pro needs to charge for the labor and not the paper it ends up being printed on! So yes find the labor in photography and make that your business.

If it costs you 150 dollars to print 30 8x10 units. Charge a 750 session fee and give them 30 8x10's. If they don't want 30 8x10's charge 750 for 20. If they don't want 20 charge 750 for 10 8x10's. If they don't want 10, charge 750 just to pick up your camera. Everyone just needs to get with the program.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 12-19-2006, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.32.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmith View Post
If it costs you 150 dollars to print 30 8x10 units. Charge a 750 session fee and give them 30 8x10's. If they don't want 30 8x10's charge 750 for 20. If they don't want 20 charge 750 for 10 8x10's. If they don't want 10, charge 750 just to pick up your camera. Everyone just needs to get with the program.
Yes, yes, yes.

The world has changed. There is very little value offered to the client for making prints for them. The value is in conceiving, capturing and editing the image. Everything after that is becoming a commodity, if it hasn't already. Charge for the part of the process where you actually add value, and you won't miss out on providing commodity services.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54740

gunstar34 is offline IP: 74.39.17.22

I was pretty proud of my local CVS the other day. I was out picking some items up as sombody was picking up there photos. When the employee realized that it was a prof. photo that was duplicated, they literally pulled the photo out of the customers hand and gave them a full refund. the customer argued with them and they refused to return the photo. I just smiled at the clerk and continued on.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ed Peters

Member GG#: 37945

epeters is offline IP: 65.193.202.162

Welcome to the real world. I don't really see any difference in what Kodak is saying
and any other business (like cars that can do 150mph when the highest MPH limit
I have seen is 75). As I think somebody mentioned above, the way to handle it is to
charge for taking the image, and processing it. Not for making prints?? YMMV

Old 12-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35470

Mark_A is offline IP: 65.6.134.149

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmith View Post
Kodak has always been interested in the consumer vs the pro. Now more than ever. It doesn't surprise me at all.

I said this a thousand times. The pro needs to charge for the labor and not the paper it ends up being printed on! So yes find the labor in photography and make that your business.

J T
What he said! Exactly.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_A Visit Mark_A's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_A

Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55251

jeffadamshti is offline IP: 12.210.11.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bunch View Post
My full-time job is managing a 1-hr. photo lab for a major chain store. I recently attended a regional meeting during which a Kodak rep was touting the benefits of their newest kiosks, specifically the quality of the scanners and the accuracy of the software. The rep made SURE to remind all of us to remove any passwords which would limit the customer from completing the order themselves (previously in place to help prevent prank waste), and NOT to inspect any pictures being copied, or the actual copies made. It seems their legal dept. has determined that if the lab personnel are not aware that the customer is violating copyright, the lab is not liable - only the customer.

So Kodak actively produces and markets equipment which is capable of enabling consumers to violate copyright, but they also encourage lab personnel to turn a blind eye and do nothing to stop it. They prolly figured out that the main reason a person would want a photo copied is to copy a photo they didn't take in the first place.

David
Pricing - 10yrs ago in one of my workshops, during the biz portion, we all spoke of pricing strategies. I predicted that ayone charging a low "session" fee in hopes of large print sales later, would be transitioning to another career soon, and better learn to upsell french fries in a hurry.

Inclusive pricing is better for the client, they know what they will pay upfront, they know what they will get, no surprises. The more upscale the client the more they appreciate that. The lower end clients are used to the bait & switch of old, and figure ways to screw you instead of getting screwed.

J
http://www.adamsphotographics.com
----
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeffadamshti Visit jeffadamshti's homepage! Find More Posts by jeffadamshti