Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Pricing Question
Old 12-18-2006, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267
Comments: 0

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 72.160.234.28

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, I am now faced with the problem that someone wants to pay me for my work. Who would have thunk it?!

The assignment involves a three hour shoot and the content will be used by a sight that sells women's clothing. Hosiery, casual, some lingerie...nothing too racy. They are not by any means an "adult content" site, although they do actively cross market the models in the hope of driving up hits to the site.

They would like to lay out the terms of the contract so that pay is based on an hourly figure, and they will retain exclusive use of the images. I'm based in Southern Wisconsin, and while I'm only an hour from Downtown Chicago the pricing structure is likely a fair amount different. I'm curious as to what other photographers in similar (small metro) markets are charging or would charge in this scenario. I want to be competitive, but don't want to lowball the job to the point where it either sets a dangerous precedent for future work, or where it undervalues the work being done by full time pros in the market.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

(And yes, I know that there are two good books on exactly this topic, and that I need to consult them. Just never expected this to become an issue so quickly)

Re: Pricing Question
Old 12-18-2006, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56242

statusimage is offline IP: 68.190.2.43

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I can tell you my figures in North Alabama, (about 2 hours from Birmingham AND Nashville, and 4 from Atlanta, all busy commercial photo spots), and you can mix it with other replys and see what comes out.
We charge $95 per hour, which includes me and an assistant if needed. For the images, we charge $12 per high res color corrected image onto a cd, and $75 per image for a copyright release, (Stated as one time use, or exclusive use). OR, we charge a flat $250 for all the images we shoot on a cd, plus a flat $500 for a copyright release for all the images, giving them exclusive ownership of all the images. I also state in the copyright release that Status Image (our studio) retains the right to use the images for self promotion.
In other words, in your situation, we would charge $1035. (3 hours x $95, plus $250 plus $500) I know a lot of commercial photographers charge that much an hour, but anyway, that's my two cents worth.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to statusimage Visit statusimage's homepage! Find More Posts by statusimage

Old 12-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55251

jeffadamshti is offline IP: 12.210.11.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by statusimage View Post
I can tell you my figures in North Alabama, (about 2 hours from Birmingham AND Nashville, and 4 from Atlanta, all busy commercial photo spots), and you can mix it with other replys and see what comes out.
We charge $95 per hour, which includes me and an assistant if needed. For the images, we charge $12 per high res color corrected image onto a cd, and $75 per image for a copyright release, (Stated as one time use, or exclusive use). OR, we charge a flat $250 for all the images we shoot on a cd, plus a flat $500 for a copyright release for all the images, giving them exclusive ownership of all the images. I also state in the copyright release that Status Image (our studio) retains the right to use the images for self promotion.
In other words, in your situation, we would charge $1035. (3 hours x $95, plus $250 plus $500) I know a lot of commercial photographers charge that much an hour, but anyway, that's my two cents worth.
Need to be really careful talking pricing, price fixing is no joke. FTC is serious about it. I workshops we can discuss generalities, and the ideas behind price.

MUCH better anyway is to price things based on your marketing and business plan, that way you know if you are making a profit or not.

Resources for figuring your proper pricing can be found at editorial photographers website. Jeff
http://www.adamsphotographics.com
----
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeffadamshti Visit jeffadamshti's homepage! Find More Posts by jeffadamshti
Last edited by jeffadamshti; 12-19-2006 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55251

jeffadamshti is offline IP: 12.210.11.33

Quote:
Originally Posted by statusimage View Post
$75 per image for a copyright release, (Stated as one time use, or exclusive use). OR, we charge a flat $250 for all the images we shoot on a cd, plus a flat $500 for a copyright release for all the images, giving them exclusive ownership of all the images. I also state in the copyright release that Status Image (our studio) retains the right to use the images for self promotion.

OH, quick note, PLEASE if you can lisc your images, rather than sell the copyright, you will keep up the tradition that was started a century ago, and is the basis of copyright law. You make it you own it, don't sell it, lisc it.

There have been some huge lawsuits against publishers by freelancers and agents to keep "rights Grabbers" from changing the biz model of commercial and editorial photographers.

Clients rarely ever need to "own" the copyright, a great lisc stating the geo area, publication limits, and length of time, exclusive (to industry or total) or not etc, again, hit the EP website and do some homework. J
http://www.adamsphotographics.com
----
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jeffadamshti Visit jeffadamshti's homepage! Find More Posts by jeffadamshti