Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Print size for gift to a boyfriend?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56220
Comments: 0

KliftonJK is offline IP: 216.49.119.244

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have a client who I shot photos of yesterday--she is taking these photos to get a boyfriend back. (hmm). Anyway, she doesn't really have a clue as to what kind of product to provide... What I was thinking is to suggest her give him a single matted 5x7" image (presentable but not framed) and a DVD with 10-15 images on it...

Anybody have any other ideas? This isn't my forte.

Thanks!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to KliftonJK Find More Posts by KliftonJK

Re: Print size for gift to a boyfriend?
Old 12-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliftonJK View Post
I have a client who I shot photos of yesterday--she is taking these photos to get a boyfriend back. (hmm). Anyway, she doesn't really have a clue as to what kind of product to provide... What I was thinking is to suggest her give him a single matted 5x7" image (presentable but not framed) and a DVD with 10-15 images on it...

Anybody have any other ideas? This isn't my forte.

Thanks!
The whole things sounds rather vague to me. I don't see what any of this would have to do with getting a boyfriend back. I can just see how this might play out. She takes the 5x7 photo and walks up to the boy friend:

"Honey, I know you don't like me anymore, but maybe this photo will change your mind" or "I know we've had a falling out, but take this DVD of photos of me home and look at them and maybe we can get back together"

Or to coin a line from a famous musical:

"It sounds a bit bizarre ..."

Anyway, If this is really legit, then just provide her with a set of 4x6 proofs and let her decide what she wants to order from you.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Well, it is vague... That's kinda what I'm going on which is why I'm asking.

I guess it came about because she sent him some photos by email or some such and he said something along the lines of "don't do that to me" so she figured if she goes all out with it he won't be able to refuse.

She's 48 and going through a divorce, apparently this guy doesn't want to hang around for the proceedings so she's trying to lure him back.

Just seeing if anybody else had run into the same thing. I think you're probably right though, provide her with the proofs and let her decide... Plus she wants it by Christmas, even more fun for me. Oh well, part of it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to KliftonJK Find More Posts by KliftonJK

Old 12-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.25.247.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post

"It sounds a bit bizarre ..."

Cheers,
rfs
Why is it bizarre? In fact I think it's fantastic. One of those things a professional studio doesn't advertise for but a glamour portrait is a nice gift. We don't have to know why the gift is needed.

Men buy flowers to try and win back and that is bizarre to me.

Men spend stupid money on jewelry and that is bizarre to me. So why is a female wanting photographs for the same reasons, bizarre?

In fact, not recognizing good business is bizarre. Customer wants something special to try and reconcile a relationship and we look down upon our own practice of producing gifts that means something special. That is what is bizarre to me.

What I would do is offer a 8 preview leather folio to show different poses much like high school senior portrait folio. I would consider a 5x7 in a folio. I would also consider an 8x10 in a folio.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 12-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Awesome! Thanks so much for your help, JT.

The 5x7 folio idea is *perfect*. See, I knew someone would have a KIS answer. I typically print my 5x7's as 4x6"s with a border so this works well, especially since I kept my cropping tight for the shoot.

Thanks again! I should have got involved here sooner!

Old 12-12-2006, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

I think you may have missed my point. Keep in mind the words that follow the "..." in my musical quote. I am only suggesting that what he may deliver to the customer doesn't really matter. Just show her the proofs and then find out what she wants. It may be an expensive leather binder with 8 photos or a 16x20 or whatever and naturally he can push expensive alternatives if she truly doesn't know what she wants. A photographer is on one hand an artist, and on the other hand salesman. He/she must take good photos but then they have to sell them to the customer.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliftonJK View Post
I have a client who I shot photos of yesterday--she is taking these photos to get a boyfriend back. (hmm).
are you sure she didn't say, "...to get back at a boyfriend?" I've shot more than a few girls who wanted to use pictures as some kind of a "pay-back" thing. chicks are funny that way.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsmith View Post
Men buy flowers to try and win back and that is bizarre to me.

Men spend stupid money on jewelry and that is bizarre to me.

J T
i guess they'll never accuse you of being a "hopeless romantic," jt.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Fredrick, I agree with you on the selling point. Which is why I was after some ideas here... I was kinda pushed into this shoot which I don't regret but at the same time I wasn't totally prepared for everything.

Jimmy, hah. Yea, I'm pretty sure she's after getting this boyfriend back, but if that doesn't work then I guess it'll be getting back at the boyfriend.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.25.247.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I think you may have missed my point. Keep in mind the words that follow the "..." in my musical quote. I am only suggesting that what he may deliver to the customer doesn't really matter. Just show her the proofs and then find out what she wants. It may be an expensive leather binder with 8 photos or a 16x20 or whatever and naturally he can push expensive alternatives if she truly doesn't know what she wants. A photographer is on one hand an artist, and on the other hand salesman. He/she must take good photos but then they have to sell them to the customer.
Cheers,
rfs
Sometimes our customers don't know what they want. Showing them and presenting "gift" ideas may make the sale, along with proofs of everything else. For a relative small investment one can create his or her profits by taking such small steps to inform the customer.

A few commissioned photographers get paid one price much like a painter. The customer will have no idea what size they really need. Many times a commissioned photographer will go into the homes and see how much space on the wall is appropriate and then will apply that size in final print. It could be an 11x14 or 40x60. Whatever is appropriate. Customers really don't know what they want and sometimes have to be told.

This is brilliant marketing. How many times will you not buy something because it's not in stock and readily available to take home?

There are many marketing techniques in preperation for a sale with such small investments a photographer can increase his or her bottom line if he or she actually starts thinking like a businessman/salesman.

I hear all these complaints about photographers not making any money and it's almost like photographers are afraid to make a sale.

The traditional application of showing proofs and making the customer decide is about the worse case scenerio a photographer can actually provide.

J T

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith