Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
The other shoe ...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I sort of chuckle over the recent spate of posts about the Smartmoney and AOL article about telling people to scan photos to save money.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with a fellow photographer a few months ago. We were sitting listening to some music at his place while he went into a tirade about how upset he was with people copying his photos on their home scanners. This discussion, mostly on his part, was accompanied by wild gesticulation and he was obviously quite upset about it.

The conversation then turned to another subject, and I mentioned that I really liked the music that was playing and asked what it was. He immediately exclaimed that it was "a Beatles classic that he had bought at Best Buy" and offered to make me a copy of the CD. He then showed me one of the copies he had made and proudly told me how he had even made a good copy of the label using his scanner and ink jet printer that would print right on the CD.

As I said, "the other shoe" ...

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 12-04-2006 at 06:45 PM..

Re: The other shoe ...
Old 12-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39658
Comments: 0

FotoTejas is offline IP: 209.189.225.12

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sounds a lot like a comment I made here a few weeks ago regarding that art gallery tour, to the effect that it "depends upon whose ox is being gored." Few agreed with me then, and I doubt you'll get much agreement now.

The most entertaining element of the entire scenario is the fact that so few will see the irony.

Luego

Old 12-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I sort of chuckle over the recent spate of posts about the Smartmoney and AOL article about telling people to scan photos to save money.

It reminded me of a conversation I had will a fellow photographer a few months ago. We were sitting listening to some music at his place while he went into a tirade about how upset he was with people copying his photos on their home scanners. This discussion, mostly on his part, was accompanied by wild gesticulation and he was obviously quite upset about it.

The conversation then turned to another subject, and I mentioned that I really liked the music that was playing and asked what it was. He immediately exclaimed that it was "a Beatles classic that he had bought at Best Buy" and offered to make me a copy of the CD. He then showed me one of the copies he had made and proudly told me how he had even made a good copy of the label using his scanner and ink jet printer that would print right on the CD.

As I said, "the other shoe" ...

Cheers,
rfs
[Lots of sarcasm in voice] But didn't you know that it's ok to steal from corporate America? As long as it's a big corporation, it's ok to steal from them, 'cause they got deep pockets anyway and won't feel it.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 141.156.178.234

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTejas View Post
The most entertaining element of the entire scenario is the fact that so few will see the irony.
The photographer that I know personally who is most concerned about people "stealing" images from his website and is constantly looking for ways to prevent it has never paid a dollar for any of the software he uses on the computer for his business. I guess it's a stereotypical case of crooks always assuming that everyone else is a crook. Of course, the joke is on him. Most of the cracked software that he downloads from "warez" sites has spyware and viruses in it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 12-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 68.120.228.68

I'm a photographer first, but I'm also a musician and composer, so I can see both sides of theft on that subject. What an idiot!

E
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Ya know ...
Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.139.56

At one point the buggy whip industry was big and fortunes werfe made by those who mde them. Then the horseless carriage came along and manufacturers of buggy whips and the buddies themselves were in a world of hurt. Along the same lines, anyone bought a BeatMax recently? Or an eight track tape player? Technology forces changes in all industries, including photography.

Ya know ...
Old 12-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.139.56

At one point the buggy whip industry was big and fortunes were made by those who made them. Then the horseless carriage came along and manufacturers of buggy whips and the buggies themselves were in a world of hurt. Along the same lines, anyone bought a BetaMax recently? Or an eight track tape player? Technology forces changes in all industries, including photography. The fully automatic 35mm camera made a change in our industry, suddenly anyone could shoot a properly exposed and in focus photo. Many cried that was the end of our industry. Polaroid came along and many cried about the end ouf the industry. Now we have scanners, will the industry now end.

Those photographers who can adapt their business practices to this new environment will succeed, maybe even flourish, those who can not adapt will fail. Part of that adaptation is realizing we can not turn back technology, we can not make scanners go away. We can either pay lawyers to sue our clients, our bread and butter, or we can adapt to a new environment by accepting that clients 'will' scan our work and not order additional prints. This new situation is easily resolved by adjusting our pricing to allow unlimited reproductions. We can fight the inevitable or we can go with it and survive.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 65.0.136.246

Yeah, but those buggy whip makers just switched over to the S&M trade and are making a killing! Have you priced a good buggy whip recently? Jeez!

Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith