Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
New people to G1 do they have to?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 68.58.247.2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Do new people have to upload their photos to the old portfolio system first then transfer them to the new system?
Or do new people get a way to upload directly to the new system?
Does anyone know why we can still upload to the old system?
When will that function be turned off?
Any one esle confused?

fdp

Re: New people to G1 do they have to?
Old 11-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepro View Post
Do new people have to upload their photos to the old portfolio system first then transfer them to the new system?
Or do new people get a way to upload directly to the new system?
Does anyone know why we can still upload to the old system?
When will that function be turned off?
Any one else confused?

fdp
Based on the several emails that Rolando has posted about the new portfolio system vs the old, I believe that G1 will be moving to the new system and the old one will be retired. He even implied in one of those emails that you should no longer upload to the old system but place your photos in the new system and transfer your existing images from the old system to new.

My suggestion, based on the current information, is to upload only to the new system. But that does give rise to a problem, and that is that people browsing G1 that click on the main Portfolio menu option are still taken to the old portfolio system. So that suggests you need to have your images in both places for the time being. I'm not uploading any new images myself to the old system as I already have enough images there. But I'm not deleting any from the old system either.

Let's hope that Rolando will clarify all this soon.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I managed to get 29 of 34 in the new port, 5 are still out swimming to shore. I haven't seen much evidence of many people rushing to the new portfolio. I got two new South Carolina models on board, You can't see them unless you specifically know where to find them (old portfolio) I have a couple more sitting on the sidelines waiting for something to get easy for them. Think they will end up on *** and or mm.
South Carolina used to have quite a few models on GG, many didn't stay with the last change. I think we are going to loose even more now.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 11-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35303
Comments: 0

mphunt is offline IP: 69.22.16.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
Ain't that the truth.

And to quote the Borg....."Resistance is futile"

Old 11-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphunt View Post
Ain't that the truth.

And to quote the Borg....."Resistance is futile"
This applies mainly when dealing with the government we elected!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepro View Post
I managed to get 29 of 34 in the new port, 5 are still out swimming to shore. I haven't seen much evidence of many people rushing to the new portfolio. I got two new South Carolina models on board, You can't see them unless you specifically know where to find them (old portfolio) I have a couple more sitting on the sidelines waiting for something to get easy for them. Think they will end up on *** and or mm.
South Carolina used to have quite a few models on GG, many didn't stay with the last change. I think we are going to loose even more now.
No, people won't find the new portfolios by accident, because images are not being randomly displayed from there nor are the latest images posted coming from there. But if you give a person a link to your profile, then the first thing they see when they arrive will be the most recent photos of the new portfolio. Then if they click the link to see the rest, they will all be there. Once the full change over is made, the random and most recently posted will come from the new system, and I assume the main Porfolio link will come from that also.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
No, people won't find the new portfolios by accident, because images are not being randomly displayed from there nor are the latest images posted coming from there. But if you give a person a link to your profile, then the first thing they see when they arrive will be the most recent photos of the new portfolio. Then if they click the link to see the rest, they will all be there. Once the full change over is made, the random and most recently posted will come from the new system, and I assume the main Porfolio link will come from that also.
Cheers,
rfs
You have just entered the Twilight Zone .....

Well the fastest way would be to put in your G1 number and hit go, assuming you know that number. In that little box in the upper left of the home page, but the aveage browser wouldn't know to do that.

I had been planning to clear out the trash photo's in my portfollio this weekend and getting it looking more professional....

The long and the short of it is it is VERY frustraiting to view portfolio's at G1.

The reason why...to everyone, not just one person...
Old 11-23-2006, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.156.188

To everyone that is having problems, to those that have tried it and like it, don't read, you took the time to do it and kudos to you for understanding it's not that hard, in fact, easier than the old system.

Everyone wanted an "easier" portfolio to upload and view, at the same time we wanted one that integrates better with our forum software and our upcoming search engine with zip code proximity and other features.

We've tested out the new portfolio system on www.imagedots.com and it not only works, but people like it and it allows for a "lightbox" atmosphere, easier to navigate, etc. We feel the new portfolio system is friendlier--you've asked, we've been working on it. It seems, no matter what we do, there will always be someone that doesn't like it--it's always been that way.

Well we are moving forward, sometime shortly you will not be able to upload to the old system and the old system will go away--so I recommend you move your images now to the new system. In addition, all you have to do is point people to your profile here. Just go to your "profile" page, it's yours with your images from the new portfolio there along with the ability to tag, make friends, etc. As an example, look at mine, http://www.glamour1.com/forums/membe...andogomez.html and notice how your username is now in your URL too.

Not sure what your "profile" page is, then login, LOOK at the main menu bar, toward the right side you'll see, "MY Home, Portfolio, and PROFILE." The "Home" is youser UserCP where you can control your profile and preferences. The "Portfolio" is the OLD portfolio and will change! The "Profile" link is just that, your profile, that is what will come out as a result page in our upcoming search features--that is where you should point people too, or your G1 number. How hard is that? How much easier do you want it? Tell me now or hold your peace, cuz I'm the sold programmer right now--tell me! Is it really that hard? ( I apologize in advance for my frustrations on something that is so simple and and easy to figure out.)

The whole point is to make the experience easier on G1--some of you asked for it and we're trying and going forward. Some of the SAME ones now are complaining cuz we're doing what you asked--I just don't get it.

We've found the new portfolio system is overall better in navigation for a photography and models site. When the new search engine begins, all results will return "profile" pages where your profile will display, as mine does now, the most recent thumbs for your portfolio page. This is an overhaul of the old system with PLENTY of time to move your images. I myself am not moving anything--like most pro photographers, I have copies, copies, of my files as I upload them to multiple sites on the net--uploading the copies from my desktop is the easiest way to do it--it's called being proactive and not lazy. (Again, my apologies if I offend anyone, it's not that friggin hard if you at least try!)

We posted in the Lifetime members area about this portfolio, asked everyone to try it out, asked you to try it out on ImageDots, some did, most didn't. Those that did gave an overall thumbs up along with what needed to be improved, most has been done. We asked you to try it out first, if you didn't, please don't wait now to complain--complain only after you give it a SINCERE tryout--it's not that hard.

Now I close by saying, if you didn't like it then, why didn't you speak up then instead of now? We are moving to better the site. How hard is it to "upload" an image. I'll admit, I still have many to upload, but we're giving everyone time to do so right now. How hard is it to click on a "well-labled" link? I run into too many people that just won't try, for whatever reason--C'mon people, it's not that hard to hit a button here and there, they are properly labeled, just slow down, take time and read, then click. I promise you won't break the system if you push the wrong button. You can even delete your images if you make a mistake.

If you can't do it, PM your phone number, I will personally call you on my nickel and walk you through it--I promise you, it's not a bad experience and it's to improve the site. If you're just not sure, go to htttp://www.imagedots.com and try it there first--you'll have to register, but that's not hard either if you simply take the time to read and click as you go. It doesn't take a college education to stop and look at any link and figure out what it does, especially if it's labeled.

I've seen other sites that are much harder to use, our goal is to make it easy--yes it takes time, all good things take time. If you're that frustrated, take a break, take a drink, then come back--again, if you can't do it (after trying), then PM your phone number and best time to call and I will find the time to call you and walk you through it.

The new system is the answer to your complaints--again, please try! My apologies if I sound frustrated, but it's not that hard at all and it's to IMPROVE this site. Thanks, rg sends!

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving, rg sends!
Click for larger version
The reason why...to everyone, not just one person... 
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez