Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Are you a Paparazzi?
Old 11-12-2006, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I noticed a news article posted in he News section of Glamour 1 concerning a laptop incident involving Denise Richards and a paparazzi photographer. Several things struck me about the unfolding news story. Number one, he apparently not only had his cameras, but a laptop with him. Number two, he admits that he called her a "homewrecker" and told her that she "didn't no how to keep her man happy". He also admits that he was asked to stop taking photos of her.

Is this acceptable behaviour for a photographer? How far should a photographer go to get a photo of a person? If a photographer is insulting to a someone he is photographing does the person being photographed have the right to try to stop them from taking the photos and even destroying their equipment? Do you have any stories involving situations like this and how they turned out?

What do you think of this whole story? Who was in the right, or wrong, etc?

Here's a link to a later version of the story:

http://www.canada.com/topics/enterta...c99c9f&k=79276

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 11-12-2006 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.
No, just a pepperoni...
Old 11-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.245.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am going to admit up front that I didn't bother to go read the news item. My answer is going to revolve around the "facts" extracted from that story, and presented here.

So he had a camera AND a computer with him? Am I supposed to imply that that makes him a dispicable individual? Hey, I'm surrounded daily by people carrying laptops, Blackberry's, and other communications gadgets.

As far as what he called her... no comment. Don't know the lady, don't read the tabloids.

When a person (I note that you avoided calling her a celebrity!) achieves a certain level of fame, notority, whatever, they surrender a lot of privacy. Should he have stopped taking pictures? Should he have not called her names? Probably... if he was a nice guy. But who assumes that paparazzi are nice guys these days?

Does his taking pictures violate her rights, and give her the right to have him assaulted or his equipment damaged. Nope, not according to what I've seen of court rulings in recent years.

Anyway, my opinion is that paparazzi are a nuisance that accompanies celebrity. Celebrities use the paparazzi for free publicity just about as much as the paparazzi profit from the celebrities. It's a symbiotic relationship, kill one you'd probably kill the other.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak
Last edited by Al_Nowak; 11-12-2006 at 08:07 PM..

Re: Are you a Paparazzi?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52996

JasonPhillip is offline IP: 66.167.222.154

"When a person (I note that you avoided calling her a celebrity!) achieves a certain level of fame, notority, whatever, they surrender a lot of privacy. "

Who made up that rule. And how do you decide that a certain level of fame, notority has been achieved. I really don't agree that just because enough people want to know about my life that automatically gives them the right to find out anything about my life.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonPhillip Find More Posts by JasonPhillip

Old 11-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 24.27.66.33

People have a right to be "left alone."
I don't care much for paparazzi.
At some point just because your "job" makes you easily recognizable, doesn't
mean you should have to "surrender" your rights to be left alone.
I had to quit a relationship once because these people would not respect "my
right to privacy."
She didn't like it, but understood- and has to sneak away sometimes just so
she can have a greasy hamburger in a diner in (out of the way, USA.)

Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

I am by no means a paparazzi, but I did have a run in with someone at the Boothill Saloon in Daytona once (article here).

I think that everyone has a right to privacy, but only in areas where one can reasonably expect it. We all give up certain rights to privacy in public places. When you're famous more people want to see you. Is it right or wrong? It is an occupational hazard and anyone should expect it.

Last night while watching the Bears and the Giants, I saw Bill Murphy sign several autographs and he was filmed for national TV. That's expected. If he were in a private box, then he would have some expectation of privacy.

From the article, I gathered that the incident took place at the set of a movie she is filming. If the producers of the movie allowed him access, and she was being employed by the producers, then any violation of privacy should be addressed to the producers.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55336

Bigv is offline IP: 69.29.253.42

New guy here.

Couple of observations. First this quote "...he tried to get photos of her co-star Pamela Anderson. He alleged that Richards launched a verbal assault against him."

And this one: "..she offered to pose for a few pictures if Fedyck agreed to leave the area."

So it appears she flipped out because he was there getting shots of her co-star and not her. She has only been getting minor roles the last few years. Undercover Brother was the last thing she did that gave her decent billing. This tirade gave her more publicity than she has had in a long time.

One thing also to remember, this happened in Canada. They have different laws there on privacy.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bigv Find More Posts by Bigv

Old 11-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49523

Steve_Buchanan is offline IP: 207.255.182.43

Ahhh, the debate between legality and morality. Is verbally berating your 'subject' in order to get the look you want ok? Not for me, that's not the kind of life I want to lead - but the law doesn't preclude us from being asses. Regardless of what the shooter said, nothing short of physical threat or action gives anyone the right to physically damage property or person. I haven't met a lot of 'famous' people but the few I have met have not been the kind of people I hope my kids grow up to be.
Bottom line, there are jerks in the world in front of and behind the lens, I work hard not to be one and sometimes I succeed.

Steve