Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Zoom Zoom...............
Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512
Comments: 0

Fish is offline IP: 66.156.238.88

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Shot with the Canon 70-200 f2.8L at 1/250 second, f5, 110 mm

I recently had my 70-200 f2.8L repaired locally, it needed a new front filter ring (it had been dinged and I couldn't screw in my polarizer any more). They took the opportunity to replace a scratched front lens element and tighten up the lens body (the lens was eight years old). The repair cost $250 and took 4 weeks, part of that due to the time it took to order the necessary parts from Canon. Unfortunately after the repairs, what had been one of the sharpest lenses I have ever owned became a bit soft, particularly at the corners.

Well, as luck would have it, a fairly new 50 mm f1.4 lens I own went west during a shoot last week. As a result I decided to take advantage of my membership in Canon's professional services group (CPS) which claims a 3 day turn-around on repairs (if you are a member and submit through the CPS service center). The 50 mm was still under warranty and I had a grip for my 20D which wasn't performing up to par, so I figured as long as those two pieces were going in, I might as well include the 70-200 and ask CPS service to check it out.

Canon repair received my package Monday morning and by that evening I had an email explaining that the 70-200 would require $120 worth of repairs, and that everything would be finished in ten working days. What! What! What about the three day turn-around promised in my CPS package??? So, I called Tuesday morning (which I had to do anyway to authorize the 70-200 repair and arrange for payment). Ah, not to worry, it was a mistake. The lens would be finished in 3-5 working days. While I was not happy about even this small change, at least I was satisfied that I wasn't going to have to wait two weeks to get some of my critical equipment back. Still, that 3-5 days would start on Tuesday since that's when I authorized the repair (and you know it's going to be 5 days!).

Silly wabbit, I got an email Wednesday night with an overnight Fed Ex tracking number for the 70-200. It arrived Thursday around noon, repaired and essentially a new lens. They replaced an intermediate barrel, mount, and lens. Checked everything, cleaned, and adjusted the lens to factory specifications (it is sharp again, so very sharp!). Oh, they also charged me $15 for that Fed Ex overnight return.

So, what about the other two items? I called Thursday after I received the first package and was informed that they couldn't get the 50 mm and the grip out until Friday, so I could expect it on Monday (no Saturday delivery on standard overnight). Okay, I went fishing Friday morning and returned to discover that Fed Ex was unable to deliver my 50 mm lens and the grip because I wasn't there! What! What! What happened to CPS telling me on Thursday they couldn't ship until Friday? Obviously they shipped that same day! I figured I would have to drive to the Fed Ex office that evening when to my surprise the bell rang and there stood the Fed Ex guy! "I figured you might be back, so I thought I'd try again. Here you go!" I should buy a lottery ticket, this NEVER happens (although I do have a great Fed Ex guy. UPS is not Fed Ex, nuff said). I got my 70-200 zoom back in three days from the time Canon received it, and the grip and 50 mm lens back in four days. Amazing.

Anyway, long story but worth telling. Canon's Profession Services organization does a great job with their fast repair service (free to all CPS members). I'm pretty sure the Nikon guys will have similar stories about Nikon Pro Services since Nikon invented the idea. While the program is designed for professionals, students and others do qualify. You can get the CPS application package sent to you by writing to CPS at cpsmember@cusa.canon.com. Perhaps a member of Nikon Pro Services could chime in with how a Nikon user might become a member of NPS. Membership is free, and worth every penny!

A final note, there was no charge to me (other than the cost of sending the equipment to CPS) for the warranty repairs to the grip and 50 mm lens. Canon had sent me a voucher for $100 which could be used for any repairs when I bought my EOS 5D, so the out of pocket for everything including the repairs to my 70-200 was only $35. And I used the 50 mm lens today shooting a couple of recording artists for their label, so I was happy to have it back!

Fish
--
John Fisher
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com
(305) 534-9322
www.JohnFisher.Com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

Re: Zoom Zoom...............
Old 11-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47251
My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 195.250.110.102

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First: It a great photo you have made........
Second: I read the story... will keep that in mind.....
Third: Can I also ask a off topic question:
Did you shot this photo with only natural light or you were using some additional light...?
Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zakd Find More Posts by Zakd

Old 11-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55675

BigCityModels is offline IP: 24.7.192.221

I see from the photo's Exif data that you used a Canon EOS 20D on that particular shot.
How has that camera treated you? (besides the repair experience, of course)
I've been leaning toward getting one.
Thanks for a great read.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BigCityModels Find More Posts by BigCityModels

Old 11-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.180

John,

What a nice shot and boy does that young lady have long legs. I own an Olympus and I'm an amateur so even if they had a program I'd probably not qualify. If I were to ever switch Canon is where I'm looking. Thanks for sharing your story and it's nice to see that a large company does actually honor its promises.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 11-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Great narrative - I would never have imagined that any repair place could or would replace a single element in a lens, but it makes some sense. Glad to hear it's back to its old, sharp self.

I'm not even going to comment on that impossibly long-legged lassy - but, man, I feel ancient right now.

Nice work.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54374
Send a message via Yahoo to racket4life

racket4life is offline IP: 75.131.113.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityModels View Post
I see from the photo's Exif data that you used a Canon EOS 20D on that particular shot.
How has that camera treated you? (besides the repair experience, of course)
I've been leaning toward getting one.
Thanks for a great read.
I just purchased two 20D's....I am in love with them....The color accuracy is amazing. These perform much better than my old D1X and D2H.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Old 11-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.160.141

http://www.nikonpro.com/about_nps.php
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Kaila Rainey and some answers
Old 11-12-2006, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512

Fish is offline IP: 66.156.238.88

First, thanks to everyone who commented on the picture of Kaila. She is a delightful young girl who is getting started in editorial fashion and has moved to South Beach to make that happen. She recently got her first cover (Miami Fashion Weekly), and will be the featured model in a runway show on Thursday for one of the up and coming designers here in Miami, Karelle Levy (http://www.krelwear.com). And yes, Kaila has a great pair of ...legs!

Kaila Rainey wearing a Yochi Ben dress (http://www.yochiben.com),
Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses, and shoes by Nine West.

To answer Zak's question, I often use a little fill flash to pop the picture when shooting during the heart of the day and I did so with this picture and the one in my first post. I will frequently put the model in some open shade to avoid harsh shadows, and then try to use just enough fill to punch the image without making it too obvious.

Big City, I love the 20D and have had absolutely no problems with the camera. Some of the early grips that Canon made for that body had issues with the electrical contacts, the grip worked for the most part but you occasionally had to reset the camera (turn it on and off) to avoid an error message. Canon repaired or replaced the grip for anyone who had those issues, and the later grips (including those for the 30D which is basically the same body) have had no reported problems. I probably would have been perfectly satisfied with the 20D, but as others in the business will tell you, art directors may not know much but they can count. 8 MP's are more than 6, and 13 are more than 8, so if a larger mega pixel camera is out there, they expect you to have it. Sooo, I bought a 5D with the plan of using it only for jobs that required it politically. I gotta tell ya, I fell in love with the full frame sensor and the way my lenses responded like they did on my film cameras. Pretty quickly the 20D became my backup and hence I had no problem sending the grip back (again, it worked, just occasionally irritating me). I have big hands, without the grip the camera gets lost in my paws. (FYI, I also have a vertical grip on my 5D and it has worked perfectly since I bought the camera.)

Think you need more mega pixels? All of these floor to ceiling pictures were taken with the 6 MP EOS 10D!
This gallery of my images is located in main offices of In Gear (http://www.ingear.com/store.htm)

And finally, a thank you to Jason for posting the link to Nikon's Pro Services. Nikon has always been well know for providing excellent support to it's cadre of professional photographers, and today I think it is fair to say that Canon has matched that level of service. I think it is clear that both companies have developed fantastic professional cameras and a complete line of well made professional lenses.

Fish
(305) 534-9322
www.JohnFisher.Com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish
Last edited by Fish; 11-12-2006 at 01:04 PM..

Re: Kaila Rainey and some answers
Old 11-12-2006, 01:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47941
My Mood:

rick_w is offline IP: 24.150.104.252

Sir:
I also use a 20D with grip and I find that after 8 to 10 shots my batteries seem to be drained but if I put a battery into the camera it works just find. Did you have this type of problem?, also I really love the shots you put on here, makes me want to strive harder when I see them.
Thanks
Rick
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rick_w Find More Posts by rick_w

Re: Kaila Rainey and some answers
Old 11-12-2006, 04:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38303

Jason407 is offline IP: 68.202.54.215

Greta story...maybe I need to look into that, although I have yet to have any problems with my Canon gear.
I know it has been said before but, Wow-Wa-We-Waa does she have legs!!!

So Fish...When are you coming to visit Orlando?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jason407 Visit Jason407's homepage! Find More Posts by Jason407