Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Move photos between Portfolios - simple method ...
Old 11-09-2006, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Finding the two portfolio systems

Rolando appears to have just made a change that makes it much easier to reach to New and Old Portfolio systems. So I've updated this tutorial with that new info.

To use the new method just click on the Profile link from the upper menu after you have logged in.

which will bring you to this screen (for your porfolio, of course):

Use the upper link to get to the New portfolio and the lower link to get to the Old portfolio.

Moving photos from the old to he new portfolio

I'm going to describe a simple method to move the photos from the old system to the new, even if you don't have copies of them at hand. Keep in mind that if you use the method I'm showing below, that you have some possibility of a slight degradation of the images. The fastest way to really move the photos into the new system is to just gather all of the photos you want to use together into one common folder on your computer hard drive, and then use the Browse Buttons you'll see in the screen shots below rather than the URL button.

But ...

Keep in mind that if you you upload multiple images at one time (up to six) that all of them will have the same Title and description info which is usually not appropriate. If you upload in bulk in this manner, then you'll need to update each image later using the Edit link to update the title and description to be specific to the image. This is very important if you want to make you images searchable through the G1 system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a quick and dirty tutorial on how to move your photos from the existing portfolio system to the new one. Here is the key screen shot that illustrates the method:

Basically, I'm simply opening up two browsers and tiling them vertically. I open the new portfolio system (left) into one browser and the old one in the second browser (right). If you are unsure how to set up the spit system, then see this tutorial:

http://www.imagedots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148

Now, looking at the screen shot, I have captured it at the point that I've already selected (on the left side) the Upload link, and then chosen a category and then clicked continue which has brought me to the dialog shown on the left above. Note the box where you can enter a URL (below the browse boxes).

Now on the right side, I've navigated to my old portfolio. I've chosen one of my photographs that is in the appropriate category and I'm showing it on the right side of the screen shot. Notice I've scrolled down so you can see the three URL links below it but also see the existing title.

Now just follow the arrows for copy and paste.

You must enter a comment of at least 5 characters. I've been using my copyright notice for that.

Then click Upload on the left and its done.

To repeat, just use the back button on the right browser, to go back to the thumbnails of your photos, and choose another. And on the left browser, just click the Upload link again.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 11-30-2006 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: Adding additional information

Re: Move photos between Portfolios - simple method ...
Old 11-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just a few notes on the portfolio move tutorial. First, there are several ways to get to your new portfolio, or the place where you can find the upload button. Here is a screen shot of one location:

Just click on the circled number or 0 if you haven't started yet.

You can also use this direct url to get to the new portfolio start page:

http://www.glamour1.com/photoplog/

Once there, just click the Upload link show in the next screen shot:

[HIDE-THANKS]There are more interesting things you can do with the new system, and I'll try to post some more of them when I have more time.[/HIDE-THANKS]

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

You totally lost me
Old 11-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Life Is Great Images

Member GG#: 49724
Comments: 24

LifeIsGreatImages is offline IP: 66.109.133.42

Nothing that you metioned seemed to work with regard to new systems and I (and perhaps others) am likely to give up after a few minutes. (Clicking on the number 37 of photos did nothing.) I'll expose my ignorance.

For starters, I'm not clear on what you mean by "old" and "new" systems. It seems to me there are four systems:

Garage Glamour - from which we moved our images months ago
Glamour1 - where this message is posted
Image Dots - which is new and an optional sideline experiment
Photoplog - which is another, better system to be used, but retaining the name Glamour1 as a general brand name (?)

So of these, your posting guide would take images from which to which?

It appears you are going from ImageDots to Photoplg. If so, does that imply that the photos originally transferred from GG to G1 must now go to ImageDots and then be again transferred to Photoplog? I.e. can't we go directly from G1 to Photoplog??

I tried your suggestions and appreciate the effort, but I think I'll sit it out for a while. Unless you advise otherwise, I'll wait until the new system is really up and running; then I'll let my old images expire and just upload some newer ones to the latest system at that time.

So no urgency but figured I'd give you some feedback, in case others are similarly confused.

Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LifeIsGreatImages Find More Posts by LifeIsGreatImages

Re: You totally lost me
Old 11-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGreatImages View Post
Nothing that you mentioned seemed to work with regard to new systems and I (and perhaps others) am likely to give up after a few minutes. (Clicking on the number 37 of photos did nothing.) I'll expose my ignorance.

For starters, I'm not clear on what you mean by "old" and "new" systems. It seems to me there are four systems:

Garage Glamour - from which we moved our images months ago
Glamour1 - where this message is posted
Image Dots - which is new and an optional sideline experiment
Photoplog - which is another, better system to be used, but retaining the name Glamour1 as a general brand name (?)

So of these, your posting guide would take images from which to which?

It appears you are going from ImageDots to Photoplg. If so, does that imply that the photos originally transferred from GG to G1 must now go to ImageDots and then be again transferred to Photoplog? I.e. can't we go directly from G1 to Photoplog??

I tried your suggestions and appreciate the effort, but I think I'll sit it out for a while. Unless you advise otherwise, I'll wait until the new system is really up and running; then I'll let my old images expire and just upload some newer ones to the latest system at that time.

So no urgency but figured I'd give you some feedback, in case others are similarly confused.

Steve
I just tested it again and everything worked perfectly. It took me about 20 seconds to copy a photo from the existing Glamour 1 portfolio system to the new Glamour 1 portfolio system that's soon to become the standard system.

This has nothing to do with Imagedots. Imagedots is just a site that uses almost the same system as the new system and Rolando suggested that people could try it first to see how they liked it. I did refer to a tutorial that I had published there so that people would know how to select and tile two browsers.

Garage Glamour system of portfolio is long gone. That system was replaced by the current portfolio system that you see and that you are taken to if you click on the Portfolio link at the top after you login to the system.

To get to the new system you use the URL that I gave in my earlier response to my own tutorial above. You can also click on the number that is shown in the screen shot:

If you just scroll up in this thread to where my thread begins you'll see the number I've shown and if you click on it it will take you to my portfolio in the new system. If you have 0, then it will not work since there is nothing to go to, apparently.

It is my understanding, based on what Rolando has said, that the new system will soon become active and then the existing portfolio system will be retired over a period of time.

If you look at my screen shots, you'll see in the address bar that they are both on Glamour 1. Imagedots will have nothing to do with the new system. It's mechanism will just provide the underpinning for the new system on Glamour 1.

Go back and give it another try and let me know what happens.

Cheers,
rfs

slightly better understanding
Old 11-22-2006, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Life Is Great Images

Member GG#: 49724
Comments: 24

LifeIsGreatImages is offline IP: 66.109.133.5

OK, I now understand we are bypassing imagedots and going from the several month old version to the new version.

(My case might be unusual ... there was a billing mix up when I did my life member upgrade and there may be two old pages floating around for me, with one blank.)

By the way your illustrations are excellent, however...

When I click on the number 37 under the profile on your posting, it indeed does take me to your set of images. When I look at the sidebar profile for me, the number zero appears, indicating I have zero images in the NEW system. So far so good. But I have trouble knowing which system I'm in at any moment; they both look the same. When I clicked on the photoplog link and thus went into the new system and clicked my portolio, all 36 or so of my images were there.

Hence my confusion persists. By looking via the photoplog link it appears all my images flew over there on their own and just are not counted on the sidebar profile. But that's not likely reality.

If I'm the only one that doesn't see the light, don't bother wasting time and I'll just catch up later.

Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LifeIsGreatImages Find More Posts by LifeIsGreatImages

Re: slightly better understanding
Old 11-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGreatImages View Post
OK, I now understand we are bypassing imagedots and going from the several month old version to the new version.

(My case might be unusual ... there was a billing mix up when I did my life member upgrade and there may be two old pages floating around for me, with one blank.)

By the way your illustrations are excellent, however...

When I click on the number 37 under the profile on your posting, it indeed does take me to your set of images. When I look at the sidebar profile for me, the number zero appears, indicating I have zero images in the NEW system. So far so good. But I have trouble knowing which system I'm in at any moment; they both look the same. When I clicked on the photoplog link and thus went into the new system and clicked my portolio, all 36 or so of my images were there.

Hence my confusion persists. By looking via the photoplog link it appears all my images flew over there on their own and just are not counted on the sidebar profile. But that's not likely reality.

If I'm the only one that doesn't see the light, don't bother wasting time and I'll just catch up later.

Steve
Well, assuming that the billing problem and those issues are not causing a problem, here is a screen shot that shows how to reach the two portfolios from your profile:

The lower part shows what one would see if they were on your profile page. The lower arrow points to the link where one would click to see all the photos in the "new" portfolio. But look at the upper part of the screen shot which shows a snip of what it would look like if you were on my profile page. Notice, you would see a strip of photos from the "new" portfolio.

Since we don't see a strip of photos in the lower part of the screen shot which is when I'm on your portfolio, that means you have no photos in the new portfolio.

Now look at the second arrow on the right (the one that points up). If you click on the word "Portfolio" that the arrow points to, you will be taken to your current portfolio (what I'm calling the Old portfolio system).

The two portfolio systems look quite different and you won't mistake the two. Here are screen shots of a snip of each system.

As you can see they look very different.

Cheers,
rfs