Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What are your standards?
Old 10-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237
Comments: 0

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

c'canade asked me what my standards were. I didn't want to hijack some else's thread, so I started this one and wrote a little blog about it.

Read the blog and pick back up here.

There are times to hire the atypical model. Like I said before it's a great learning experience. If she had a nice body but her face is not so nice, then she'd be perfect for figure study.

But, if you're out to make a dime on glamour/eye-candy, you need to have pretty high standards.

So, what are your thoughts?

Re: What are your standards?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 65.1.5.189

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ask any photog who you see profiled in a mag like Digital Photo Pro
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/prodirectory.php and I think thay will all tell you that you use the best available to do the best job you can...And That means getting as perfect as possable upon capture...photoshop is a tool...not a band aid...why do you think that pros used to burn through so much polaroid film before thay shot chromes...because it was cheaper then screwing up a batch of 4x5 chrome film from a shoot that may have cost you 5k -10K or even more to shoot...sure digital has made the photoworld easer...thay can get that cover shot in 10-20 frames as opposed to 5-600 frames...but it takes alot of pre shoot prep, talent, and post shoot prep...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 10-28-2006, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.252.8

Standards are an interesting thing. They are interesting mainly because of the lack of any sort of universal defiinition. If we are shooting editorial fashion, our standards are very different from someone else shooting catalog style fashion or P'boy style glamour. "Standards" are personal and depend on several things, where we are as photographers, what we intend to produce and our specific job at hand.

Back a century or so ago when I was learning to shoot, my "standards" were to get the shot in focus, to get the lighting right so that I did not age the model by 10 or 20 years and to come close to an attractive composition. Later as a working pro, my "standard" was to show the product I was being paid to shoot as well as possible, whether that product was a model, a portrait client, an article of clothing or some little gizmo, showing it as something some fool might actually want to buy. Standards are personal and one photographers standards are not anothers.

Never let someone else challenge your own standards, they are yours, not theirs!

Old 10-29-2006, 02:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.165

Jayson,

I agree with what you said and (though I'm far from pro) I subscribe to Digital Photo Pro. I read time and time again that (perhaps) the most important part of a session is planning and preparation. I aspire to be like the masters getting it right in the camera first and Photoshop if desired.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 10-29-2006, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54406

Jrose is offline IP: 216.68.101.247

Asking someone what their standards are is just being unreal. Your standards will naturally change depending on what you are trying to capture. The one standard that should always be there for everyone, is to get the shot right in the camera and not depend on photoshop to "fix" your inabilities.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jrose Find More Posts by Jrose

Old 10-29-2006, 10:16 AM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:39 PM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.160.148

Um just cause I am curious...DO you have any of your own work to show us....your portfolio is empty and you don't have a homepage link... as far as the image you showed below its obvious that its heavy digital art work...I would rather see a real person with real features...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_canade' View Post
to illustrate my point about cg and photography merging here's an example of some vector wire frame art -

NOT a photograph

[

get the picture yet?

I will say i agree with you in this manner dynamike - americans as a whole are getting lazy and not caring for them selves. I see it daily. I'm sure we all do.

If a public appearance is not needed - anyone can be a model to any standard with a good MUA and/or good CG skills. I have photographed Models that look absolutly nothing like their photos or photo's others have taken of them on public appearances.

Your needs as a photographer and mine as a photoartist as far as standards go - are completly different to a degree - and i stand by my standards - won't sacrafice them for anyone. Nor my priciples.

One can photograph a model
- as they truly are with a good MUA - straight
- with added CG to fine tune looks etc
- or now as the above image shows -
- one can create the perfect woman and add her to any background one chooses - including - on a Motorcycle or a Beach.

lol - funny thought - models and photogs MUA's argue so much about price- TFP/CD - won't work with this person or do that and this and that
- ten years from now where are you all going to be?
- will it just be CG artists and their created rendered models?

something to think about - what will anyones standards mean then...?

Sorry dynamike - didn't mean to jump in so quick again

- chase -
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 10-30-2006, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonFromMaine View Post
Um just cause I am curious...DO you have any of your own work to show us....your portfolio is empty and you don't have a homepage link... as far as the image you showed below its obvious that its heavy digital art work...I would rather see a real person with real features...
Jayson,

That is a real person. It's Angel Boris. That picture is taken fom her July 1996 pictoral. She has not been atlered at all. However the background has been changed. In the original she is leaning on a leather couch.

Mike

Old 10-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Lester View Post
Never let someone else challenge your own standards, they are yours, not theirs!
Very well said Master Doug. Very well said.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrose View Post
Asking someone what their standards are is just being unreal. Your standards will naturally change depending on what you are trying to capture. The one standard that should always be there for everyone, is to get the shot right in the camera and not depend on photoshop to "fix" your inabilities.
That's exactly what I was getting at. Using PS as a crutch has made some lazy photographers.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonFromMaine View Post
it takes alot of pre shoot prep, talent, and post shoot prep...
That's exactly what I was getting at. It's like I've said several times before, PS has made some lazy photographers.