Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  


 
Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum
 

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
Ron_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member GG#: 38178
Location: Lexington, Columbia SC
Posts: 441
Comments: 0

Ron_C is offline IP: 64.203.229.101
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Bizarre or brilliant, crazy or creative, or perverse or passionate, sick or superb. As artists we must think outside the box at the drop of a hat. Finding a willing participant is at times not easy to do. I have ideas that may seem strange to some and down right brilliant to others. How to get subjects in front of my lens for shoots that are not so strange is hard enough at times much less for some stuff that is just a bit outside the “norm.” I may have just found a great source of models that is land based and is down right cheep to hire one if they are willing…..lol I live near a College for art and design they have a pool of models used by the students and are only asking $15.00 per hour to model….. That is right $15.00 per hour, I asked the agent will they do nude work and the answer was yes at the same rate…. Holy smokes… Seems like a dream come true but I will see how things work out with these models. I hope things go well with these models. I will never have to even look on the net for some model wanting $100.00 - $150.00 per hr. and rights to use the photos on top of it. These models should be willing to do what some will not do, simply because they are either art students or have worked with art students and I am sure have been asked to do some stuff that is very creative. Why I have not thought of this before now I have not a clue. All things happen in due time I guess.
__________________
Seeing is believing.... But capturing it is something else!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ron_C Visit Ron_C's homepage! Find More Posts by Ron_C
 
Re: Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

 
dynamike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member GG#: 35237
Location: St Marys
Posts: 1,552
Comments: 0

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

$15/hour! Send some my way. I'll gladly cover travel and pay twice their rates!

Edit: For a full commercial release that is!
__________________
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike
 
Re: Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

 
jimmyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Member GG#: 38375
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,092
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

brilliant! i'm a little skeptical but i live not far from Cal Arts (California Institute of the Arts), one of the finest (and expensive) arts colleges in the country. I'm gonna have to check into it. I too sometimes look for models for projects that are simply of my own vision and without commercial considerations.
__________________
I'm not an art critic but I think I know a good picture when I see one.


My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd
 
Re: Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
n5wd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member GG#: 37369
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 637
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_C View Post
... I may have just found a great source of models that is land based and is down right cheep to hire one if they are willing…..lol I live near a College for art and design they have a pool of models used by the students and are only asking $15.00 per hour to model….. Seems like a dream come true ... These models should be willing to do what some will not do, simply because they are either art students or have worked with art students and I am sure have been asked to do some stuff that is very creative....
During the period of time I was seriously working at the art side of photography (and trying to make some sort of a living at it), I ran across a couple that compiled a list (called Figures Unlimited) of local models who worked for some of the colleges and universities, private art coops and individual artists that ran art instruction out of their studios, and individual artists as well. At that time (85-89'ish), $10-$15/hour was the going rate for models (male or female), and the models on the list were usually OK with nude work.

I found, though, that a percentage of models on the list didn't want to work with photographers, for one reason or another, mostly because of the realism and identifiability that photographs have over pen-and-ink or watercolors or charcoal drawings or...

And, I'm really trying to be diplomatic here because most of these folks were some very nice people, very interested in my art and, as you guessed, were willing to go to great lengths to make a particular session successful... well, the majority were not what you'd normally think of if you were wanting to photograph a glamour nude. Don't get me wrong... we're not talking the Hunchback of Notre Dame here, but with a few exceptions, these weren't the typical glamour models.

If that's OK with what you're looking for, then it's probably going to be a successful relationship for you.

I just wish the list was still going around here, now. Keep us in the loop as to how it goes.
__________________
Wayne
RWD Photography
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd
 
Re: Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

 
jimmyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Member GG#: 38375
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,092
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5wd View Post
I'm really trying to be diplomatic here because most of these folks were some very nice people, very interested in my art and, as you guessed, were willing to go to great lengths to make a particular session successful... well, the majority were not what you'd normally think of if you were wanting to photograph a glamour nude. Don't get me wrong... we're not talking the Hunchback of Notre Dame here, but with a few exceptions, these weren't the typical glamour models
reality sucks
__________________
I'm not an art critic but I think I know a good picture when I see one.


My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd
 
Re: Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

 
dynamike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member GG#: 35237
Location: St Marys
Posts: 1,552
Comments: 0

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

My caveat of course is that they had to meet my standards.
__________________
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike
 
Old 10-28-2006, 11:12 AM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.
Re: Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
n5wd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Member GG#: 37369
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 637
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
reality sucks
Jimmy,

I prefer to think of it not as 'reality sucks', but, rather, reality is what keeps us honest.. and keeps things interesting.
__________________
Wayne
RWD Photography
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd
 
Re: Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

 
dynamike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member GG#: 35237
Location: St Marys
Posts: 1,552
Comments: 0

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_canade' View Post
lol - what, pray tell, are your standards dynaMike??
You're really becoming an asshole. Don't hijack Ron's thread.
__________________
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike
 
Re: Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

 
CatCynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member GG#: 50625
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 437
Comments: 0

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.42.94
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5wd View Post
During the period of time I was seriously working at the art side of photography (and trying to make some sort of a living at it), I ran across a couple that compiled a list (called Figures Unlimited) of local models who worked for some of the colleges and universities, private art coops and individual artists that ran art instruction out of their studios, and individual artists as well. At that time (85-89'ish), $10-$15/hour was the going rate for models (male or female), and the models on the list were usually OK with nude work.

I found, though, that a percentage of models on the list didn't want to work with photographers, for one reason or another, mostly because of the realism and identifiability that photographs have over pen-and-ink or watercolors or charcoal drawings or...

And, I'm really trying to be diplomatic here because most of these folks were some very nice people, very interested in my art and, as you guessed, were willing to go to great lengths to make a particular session successful... well, the majority were not what you'd normally think of if you were wanting to photograph a glamour nude. Don't get me wrong... we're not talking the Hunchback of Notre Dame here, but with a few exceptions, these weren't the typical glamour models.

If that's OK with what you're looking for, then it's probably going to be a successful relationship for you.

I just wish the list was still going around here, now. Keep us in the loop as to how it goes.

There are times when we should shoot atypical models, and there's a good reason for it. If you are shooting someone who has a less-than-perfect figure, you have to work to find the poses that work best with their shape. That work is good practice, and will help you find the perfect pose when you are working with models who are "typical glamour models". If you only work with figues that look good from every angle you'll settle for "good enough".

Hire a model (cheaply!) who isn't typical, and work on "how do I make this person look really good?" It's good practice for you, and the model will get some high quality images - sounds like win-win to me!

Now where's the nearest art college to me...
__________________
they say you have to take a thousand bad photos before you can take a good one - I have mastered the bad photos part...
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic
 
Re: Models rates and demands at times have driven me nuts.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

 
dynamike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Member GG#: 35237
Location: St Marys
Posts: 1,552
Comments: 0

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic View Post
There are times when we should shoot atypical models, and there's a good reason for it. If you are shooting someone who has a less-than-perfect figure, you have to work to find the poses that work best with their shape. That work is good practice, and will help you find the perfect pose when you are working with models who are "typical glamour models". If you only work with figues that look good from every angle you'll settle for "good enough".

Hire a model (cheaply!) who isn't typical, and work on "how do I make this person look really good?" It's good practice for you, and the model will get some high quality images - sounds like win-win to me!

Now where's the nearest art college to me...
I agree and disagree. Yes, there are times when you should face a challenge. You become a better photographer. I've become a better photographer by doing that. I think that shooting a model who looks good and photographs well will make you become lazy only if you let it. I don't think you'll inherently become lazy.

There are also times when I need to get it right in camera. When it comes to parting with my money, I have to hire pretty girls. Clients won't buy images of mediocre looking girls. Well some will, but that's a whole other topic. Let me rephrase, my eye candy clients won't buy images of mediocre looking girls. And when it comes to my site, I won't publish mediocre girls.

There will always be a need for the atypical model.
__________________
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Sponsors


New To Site? Need Help? Photographer & Model Links
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

© 1999-2017 Garage Glamour™




Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94