Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
looking for Home Depot light setup site
Old 10-19-2006, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36227
Comments: 0

Pro_Phase_Photo is offline IP: 24.255.50.222

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A while ago, maybe two years. So put a link on here that went to someone that did the Home Depot light setup. You know.....that yellow floor light then they hooked an umbrella to it. It was very well done actually. So does anybody have what site that was? Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Pro_Phase_Photo Visit Pro_Phase_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by Pro_Phase_Photo

Re: looking for Home Depot light setup site
Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36227

Pro_Phase_Photo is offline IP: 24.255.50.222

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

199 views does anybody remember this? It might have been in Rolando's tips or I've seen it online. I thought I saved the site but when I was cleaning out my favorites, I guess I didn't.
Some guy used one of those short yellow portable work lights, he attached an umbrella to it. Usually you see someone do something like this and you think it's very cheesy, but this guy did it in a very classy and professional way.
If nobody can find this for me, I'll give up and won't post it again.
Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Pro_Phase_Photo Visit Pro_Phase_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by Pro_Phase_Photo

Old 10-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

You're looking for Jeff Black http://pictures4fun.com

Mike

Old 10-22-2006, 01:39 PM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
edit: by the way Dynamike nice link post - the site's links are kinda screwed up and couldn't find the shop lights spoke of here there, but i found a great price on a reflector there - $109 for stand and reflector... don't know if i'd buy it from him (an unknown), but it's a great price.
The reflector is really great. I've have one and have used them for several years. A great device for shooting without an assistant that lets you put a reflector just where you want it and and whatever angle.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Phase_Photo View Post
A while ago, maybe two years. So put a link on here that went to someone that did the Home Depot light setup. You know.....that yellow floor light then they hooked an umbrella to it. It was very well done actually. So does anybody have what site that was? Thanks.
I've posted several times over the years about using various types of shop light setups. I haven't used an umbrella with any of them however. Here is a typical shop light sequence of shots:

Here is a photo of the shop light setup:

This is one of the two head shop light sets and only one head is being used in the lighting setup and is hidden from view in the photo.

Another popular homemade setup using shoplights uses something that looks like this:

I also like to use the little 10" silver reflectors with a clamp on one end ($4 and home depot) and a 65 watt fluorescent bulb (300 watt equivalent - 5500K $29). Makes for great lighting and is not hot and the bulbs last for 10000 hours. Here is where you can get the bulbs (which are a bit pricey). But these work great for umbrellas and soft boxes.

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...ent_32_ctg.htm

If you want very cheap, then you can get 27 watt bulbs that are daylight balanced at Fry's for about $4 (equivalent to about 100 watts).

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_canade' View Post
edit: by the way Dynamike nice link post - the site's links are kinda screwed up and couldn't find the shop lights spoke of here there, but i found a great price on a reflector there - $109 for stand and reflector... don't know if i'd buy it from him (an unknown), but it's a great price.
Jeff Black is not an unknown. He is one of the better glamour shooters in the Southeast.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:17 PM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.181.61.137

Quote:
no offence meant - i wasn't really meaning him as a photographer, though personally i'm not familiar with him - jsut meant unknown as a shopping outlet for me...

the reflector showed there - i've seen in the past with another site photographer i had spoke with and a poster here at G1used one in a arizona (i think) pic he took - it seems to be liked by studio's but the breezes here would limit my uses for it. I've always like the Cal sunbounce since i saw them a few years back - just haven't been able to take the plunge and buy one yet - currently i have a Photophlex with out stand at the moment.

Back on topic of the lights - RFS - you use shop lights? hmmm - surprised but not so since you showed me the ring light you showed above to me - By the way, on the subject of the florecent ring light set up; i modified your design or use of the stands you showed me with a pretty surprising little find a the local hardware store... you'd like it - i'll send a pic PM if you'd like to see it - it works great for the florecent ring light and additional lighting set ups as well - and best of all - only $19.95 -thanks for showing the home made ring light set up!

Pro_Phase_Photo - RJSmith is great at home ideas for lighting - trust him on this... and as you can see... he takes all the guess work out of it for you with his posts... by showing not only examples of the home made lighting, but the effects it will have as well...
Good luck to you in your project.

- chase -
Here is a sample photo using the gold reflector that Jeff Black sells. This was
done at one of his photo seminars known as "The Tampa ShootOuts" in
Florida. The model was in the shade and the reflector was about 20 feet
away.
Jim

View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 10-24-2006, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.181.61.137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro_Phase_Photo View Post
As for the Home Depot type of hot lights, I don't have a light set up sample
to show, but we used the hot lights with a diffusion shoot through panel
rather than the umbrella's to reflect the light back. I rigged a couple of
camera tripods with metal brackets to mount the lights to them.
Jim

View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 10-24-2006, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Back on topic of the lights - RFS - you use shop lights? hmmm - surprised but not so since you showed me the ring light you showed above to me - By the way, on the subject of the florecent ring light set up; i modified your design or use of the stands you showed me with a pretty surprising little find a the local hardware store... you'd like it - i'll send a pic PM if you'd like to see it - it works great for the florecent ring light and additional lighting set ups as well - and best of all - only $19.95 -thanks for showing the home made ring light set up!

Pro_Phase_Photo - RJSmith is great at home ideas for lighting - trust him on this... and as you can see... he takes all the guess work out of it for you with his posts... by showing not only examples of the home made lighting, but the effects it will have as well...

- chase -
I use whatever is available and I like to experiment. When I'm doing the strobe route I have a Novatron Power pack and 4 heads that I bought back in the 70's. I still use that regularly. But I like to try my hand at unique lighting setups just because its fun. Also for those on a budget, one can get one of those dual light yellow shop rigs for $35 inlcuding the bulbs. That's dirt cheap. The flouresent ring light setup is just a really good light setup because you see exactly what you get and you get these really interesting catchlights.

Anyway, I'm PMing you for the info you mentioned in your post.

Cheers,
rfs

Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 10-24-2006 at 10:44 PM..

Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Another thing I do with those shop lights is to put a fresnel over them. I bought a bunch of them once for about $2 each and hey are about 12" across, round, with a frame, so they are easy to jury rig into the shop light setup. You can do some primitive focusing of the light by varying the distance of the fresnel to the light. I also bought some of those heavy cardboard tubes used in concrete work for varying the distance.
Cheers,
rfs