Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Submitting Girls to Playboy or FHM
Old 10-17-2006, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38485
Comments: 0

photoTexas is offline IP: 66.76.233.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Submitting Girls to Playboy or FHM/ or mags like that... I am talking with a model that would like to get her stuff seen by magazines.... Can anyone give me info to give to her or tell her where to start.... She is good looking enough to get published I just don't know what to tell her...

Re: Submitting Girls to Playboy or FHM
Old 10-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Go to http://www.playboy.com/help/posing2.html

Old 10-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamike View Post
I notice and odd statement on their guidelines. It reads:

"The photographs can be either prints, Polaroids or transparencies and show a variety of poses, including full figure and face shots. We do not accept these photos in any computer form nor do we visit websites. Please do not send us CDs, discs, e-mails or undeveloped film since we will be unable to review your submission with these contents."

Note they indicate that they do not accept images in electronic format (such as JPG, etc). What is odd about this is that include a link in the same article to "How to photograph your girl freind guide" and the submission rules there state:

"Scan in your Polaroids and send them to us electronically via email -- preferably in high-quality JPEG format -- to specialeditions@playboy.com"

So one wonders what they really want. It seems to me that a JPG produced directly from a dSLR would be much easier for them to use than a slide or print or a Polaroid. I wonder if the material is somewhat out of date?

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

the link I gave was on how to apply to be a Playmate. The photos that are sent in for a Playmate app are passed around. I think the info in that guide was how to submit pictures for publication.

Of course, I am speculating and may be wrong.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

I've gotten several girls published in Maxim, Stuff and FHM ... and all those publications (Maxim & Stuff and both owned by Dennis Digital) required that I sign a release giving them the rights to use my images. I got no compensation and no credit in their magazines or online. As for Playboy, I've had more success sending prints than digital images ... but a photographer friend of mine has been published twice -- in Playboy Cyber Girl and Playboy SE --- and he only sends them digital images. Playboy gave him both a photo credit AND a $$$ check!

Best advice I could to your model for FHM, Maxim & Stuff is to have her submit to the specific section editors - 20 Hot Dates, Hometown Hotties, Best Friends, etc -- all of which take digital images.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 10-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55157

mark daughn is offline IP: 70.113.16.172

I shoot for Mystique Magazine and their submission process is quite simple. Here is the link.
http://www.mystique-magazine.com/pag..._mystique.html

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mark daughn Find More Posts by mark daughn

Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoTexas View Post
Submitting Girls to Playboy or FHM/ or mags like that... I am talking with a model that would like to get her stuff seen by magazines.... Can anyone give me info to give to her or tell her where to start.... She is good looking enough to get published I just don't know what to tell her...
A young lady I shot was on Maxim Online. She submitted the photos without properly reading the rules, or having a release from me.

The Maxim photographer release gives Maxim LIFETIME, unlimited rights to use the photo in any way they see fit with no compensation or credit given to the photographer - *ever*. I tried to find FHM's policy, but haven't found it yet.

Yet people still give them content... great business model, huh? Have people *give* you content - you secure unlimited lifetime rights at no cost - Profit!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by eselby View Post
A young lady I shot was on Maxim Online. She submitted the photos without properly reading the rules, or having a release from me.

The Maxim photographer release gives Maxim LIFETIME, unlimited rights to use the photo in any way they see fit with no compensation or credit given to the photographer - *ever*. I tried to find FHM's policy, but haven't found it yet.

Yet people still give them content... great business model, huh? Have people *give* you content - you secure unlimited lifetime rights at no cost - Profit!
Well actually she did get payment in the form of a tearsheet or publication credit. That can often be valuable for someone who needs such things for their portfolio. I suppose there is someway to put a $ value on a tearsheet. Any MBA's out there want to take a shot at such a valuation?

cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50763
Comments: 4
Send a message via MSN to silver tip images Send a message via Yahoo to silver tip images

silver tip images is offline IP: 24.19.195.171

Many magazines are taking digital images but with strick rules. They are worried about a virus that would infect their whole system. I send in an insurance claim for stolen camera equipt. and it took several weeks so I called and the adjuster said that is why it took so long. If you don't at lease get credit for an image I think your crazy to send it in. Just my two cents...Jerry

Old 10-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

The thing that was getting Ed was the fact that they weren't paying the photographer. I think he could care less about whether or not she was getting paid as much as the fact that he felt she stole from him.

And you know, we've discussed this before. Outside of her Maxim online stint, is Maxim really going to use those photos again? Probably not.