Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Experience and Knowledge
Old 10-13-2006, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52222
Comments: 0

heavenly_light is offline IP: 74.129.19.141

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Everyone,

Ok, I submit... ...I realize now that I am at my limit. My continual reading, viewing, watching, asking questions, test shooting, and my love for photography is not enough. I can not afford to pay $200-$500 dollars for workshop and then pay for travel, lodging, food, etc... I have searched this site and others for reasonable workshops or mentors to attend / learn from but to no avail. This last image shown here is a testament of my photographic limits. I can not seem to break through this wall blocking barrier of the Glamour / Professional skills I need or should already know. C & C's would be Good try, Nice eye, Good attempt, but, _______ ! you fill in the blank. I feel this is where the division is from good to professional based on determination and I am standing right in the middle of it. I desire with everything I have to overcome and defeat it.

SO, does anyone know of an affordable workshop, school, and / or someone who mentors individuals in the Northern Kentucky or the very Southern Ohio area in which I may contact to gain the practical experience and knowledge I need?

Thanks,

View Public Profile Send a private message to heavenly_light Visit heavenly_light's homepage! Find More Posts by heavenly_light

Re: Experience and Knowledge
Old 10-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54371
Comments: 1

AmateurGlamour is offline IP: 68.41.27.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tony,
I don't know of anyone in your area myself but here are a couple of approaches that might play out. The first is to visit and get to know the people at a GOOD local camera store and start talking about what you're trying to accomplish. Someone there, or a good regular, at the store may be able to serve as a mentor. The other is to find a local professional photographer whose work you admire and stop in to see them. My approach would be to explain that you're an aspiring photographer who's trying to make the transition from high end amateur to pro and ask them if they know of any classes or people that may serve as a mentor. You may also ask how they transitioned to the professional level. I' think you'll find that people who love their craft also love to talk about it and teach it. Don't come outright, at least at first, and ask if they would be willing to do it. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he didn't offer to have you help out on some shoots. He gets free labor and you get an education.

BTW, on your current post I would have had her turn her head a little more to the left so that only half of her left eye was visible. The other thing would have been to use a gold or silver reflector to add some fill to the right side of her head to add some snap to the photo.

Hope this helps,

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AmateurGlamour Find More Posts by AmateurGlamour

Old 10-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 68.120.224.60

Sorry, I'm in El Lay, so I can't help you with your request.

However, where specifically are you having trouble? I'm self taught, I'm a working pro and I've been around. I learned by just shooting, lots and lots of shooting. This was in the days of film, so it got to be quite expensive.

Have you tried books that show a shot, then show a specific lighting diagram, along with text that explains not only what was used, but why? These can be a great help.

I assume that's your wife or girlfriend, so you're lucky to have someone to help you out. When you look at a photo you took, what are you seeing that you aren't liking? Dissect the image and compare it to other images you like. Ask yourself what makes it different. Ask yourself what you can do to improve it.

Lots of major cities have photo clubs that cater to different interests. Landscape, glamour, macro, etc. Search and perhaps you'll find one nearby. Perhaps someone here, located in your area, will allow you to watch a shoot in exchange for a bit of help. Check into classes offered by junior colleges. Check into classes setup by camera stores.

Good luck to you. I know you'll get where you want to be, just because you have that desire to go further and learn.

R
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Old 10-13-2006, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

R's response was a good one. Like him, I learned in the days when Photo Shop was nothing more than a cute name for a store. (i.e. before PC's even existed). I went back to some old books that I still have and found one that was very helpful to me. It's called How to control and use Photographic Lighting by David Brooks. It was published by HP Books and includes a full discussion of lighting types, measurement and lighting ratios. It includes a multitude of different types of photographs with diagrams to explain how the effect was achieved.

In addition to that I've also seen a book by a real pro that would also be helpful. I'm trying to think of his name as I write this. Let me see...... Ronald? no no no, uuhh oh yea! Rolando Gomez!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AmateurGlamour Find More Posts by AmateurGlamour

Old 10-13-2006, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Look up Focus Workshops. They are based out of ATL. There's also a couple of great togs in Nashville, Mike Hickey and Mike Caldwell. Maybe you can sweet talk them into spending a weekend or at least a day with you for a couple hundred dollars. I go to Nashville prolly 3-4 times a year and try to shoot everytime I'm there. You're more than welcome to assist me when I'm in town.

Mike

Old 10-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 207.119.73.245

When I started (in 1981), the local pros wouldn't give me the time of day for fear I would take their business. I went to the local library and checked out every book on photography over a period of time. Every time we went to a big city to visit I would find a book store and spend $50 I had been hiding back. After a few years, I found Rangefinder magazine and looked in the back and found seminars I could go to. I attended two or three a year for many years and still try to make at least one a year on a subject that appeals to me. I make my (meager) living from weddings and portraits (and sports and little leagues and etc).
I had only been taking pictures for four years when I met a lady who had a modeling school. She liked me because I didn't try to talk her girls out of their clothes or charge too much. I basically got paid my costs to learn how to pose and direct light. I would shoot with one camera (film) and do shots that I knew would work. The other camera (slides) I would "bend the rules" and try new things.
I joined a camera club right after getting my camera, but after four years and holding every office in the club and winning the contests to the point that they said "Hey let someone else win a while", I started working at photography at nights and weekends. In 1997, I sold the other business I was running and have been starving as a pro photographer ever since.
Nowadays, there are Yahoo groups, forums like this one, and even some educational stuff on Youtube. If you do a search, you will find DVD sets from Dean Collins (amazing to see in person in 1987) and many others who are highly respected portrait photographers.
Most of all, don't be afraid to experiment and keep notes on what you do so when you do it right, you remember how you did it. Rick from Arkansas "Arkie"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Tony,
You have friends here! (for the most part)!
Jim

Old 10-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54142

Kejacobson is offline IP: 70.178.228.57

Mike,

It's funny you mentioned Mike Hickey. I knew him about 20 years ago when my father and him were stationed together in California. I didn't realize he had gone into photography full time. I still have about 6 books he gave me when I was 11 or 12.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kejacobson Visit Kejacobson's homepage! Find More Posts by Kejacobson

Old 10-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54374
Send a message via Yahoo to racket4life

racket4life is offline IP: 24.159.62.56

Question for Heavenly Light... Which niche of photography are you trying to put your emphasis on--fashion, glamour, portraits, wedding, fine art, etc.? I am not a glamour photographer by any means, but have successfully broken into the Nashville market with my style of photography--enough of a breakthrough that a couple is flying out from Cali to meet me next Saturday and walk me through the mansion they have rented for the wedding so I can take a peek. I am not the best photog in the world compared to these guys, but I am in the Kentucky area and have had success with marketing, self-promotion, and networking my style of photography. If you want to sit down at a local Starbucks in mid-KY somewhere and talk photography and such--I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

Cheers,
Jason
www.whitman-photography.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Old 10-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Small world huh?