Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Atlanta is hot today
Old 10-08-2006, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 53645
Comments: 0
Send a message via ICQ to KCMui Send a message via AIM to KCMui Send a message via MSN to KCMui

KCMui is offline IP: 166.214.252.80

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

And I don't mean the Weather..... :-p

My first Rolando Workshop is this weekend in Atlanta, despite the tryings of one United Air Line, I did make it into Atlanta in time for the workshop.

There are some HOT models there, so hot that when after I printed out 10 - 8x10's from this afternoon's shoot at a local WalMart Store. you may ask....... WHY WAL-MART ??? Well, they are the only one that is open, and after the shoot and the big dinner, most Camera store labs were closed. So if I want the printss, Walmart was the only choice left.

To make the story short, they have those KODAK imaging machines there where you can just put the CF card in, and crop and print 4x6 or 8x10 yourself. A good shopper that I am, I didn't want to bother anybody. So I just start the darn machine and start printing them. And after they are done, I took them to the electronic counter to pay for them, their 1 hour photo lab was closed for the evening.

And the guy at the counter did not know how much to charge me for those 8x10's, so he call a manager up to help him. And as the manager take one look at the picture, first words out of his mouth was "nice pictures" , so far so good.

But the second line was: "we can not sell those pictures to you".
DAMN... I didn't really use that exact word. I replied " but those are my pictures, I printed them from my memory card, and I just want to pay for them".
And he replied " I am sorry, company policy prohibits us to sell prints of professional photographs". Now I am really confused, and ask him "how do you define professional photographs"
And he replied " by those photographs with the background" "you see those behind that motocycle......etc etc", I know I am not getting anywhere with him and ask to speak to some one higher. Well, he said, you will have to come in the morning and speak to the photo lab manager.

Well, I said, if you can't sell me those photographs, I want to see them tear up before I leave.................so he destroy the photos and the $47 he could've charge me for them.

Sorry, Laura, Malloy and Holley, I was going to surprise you ladies with some 8x10's..... and Shannon, I didn't even try to print your pictures, because didn't think they will appove of them

Here are few of the so call professional prints that can not pass the Wal-Mart test. They really still need some post-processing work, to catch up to the standards most of you will set as acceptable.

comments and critics are welcome and appreciated..

View Public Profile Send a private message to KCMui Visit KCMui's homepage! Find More Posts by KCMui

Re: Atlanta is hot today
Old 10-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.165

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

KC,

Great photos, but I think what the Wal-Mart manager told you was hogwash. What difference does it make if you print blurry snapshots of your kids or sharp photos of beautiful subjects? I'm sure they want to get their money and you were being honest. Again great photos and I'l make sure I choose "unprofessional" photos for Wal-Mart. BTW what was your opinion of their print machines capabilities?

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 10-08-2006, 07:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44631

KMiller is offline IP: 71.88.251.23

KC,

Nice images!

On Walmart - if you walk in with a copyright release form signed by the model. then you should be good. I have stood in Walmart arguing until I was fuming because of that issue before, but if you can produce a signed release then they are usually fine.

Ken
  View Public Profile Send a private message to KMiller Find More Posts by KMiller

Old 10-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35309

postcardsfromthewasteland is offline IP: 68.217.41.79

They can't sell you your own photos? Shoulda known better when you went to a place that sells rifles, handgun magazines, and bibles but not FHM.

Ain't that America?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to postcardsfromthewasteland Visit postcardsfromthewasteland's homepage! Find More Posts by postcardsfromthewasteland

Old 10-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 53645
Send a message via ICQ to KCMui Send a message via AIM to KCMui Send a message via MSN to KCMui

KCMui is offline IP: 166.214.19.171

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller
KC,

Nice images!

On Walmart - if you walk in with a copyright release form signed by the model. then you should be good. I have stood in Walmart arguing until I was fuming because of that issue before, but if you can produce a signed release then they are usually fine.

Ken
Thanks for kind comments
Ken & JW

if the issue was model release or copyright, i wouldn't be so upset. But his agrument was because they were professional pictures, he can't sell them to me. Another words, it is because they haven't seen them done that way from their usually customers (any way, I don't see too much of their shoppers spending $4.74 making 8x10 prints with their own hands there too often).

As for the quality, I was truly surprise by the color richness and accurcy from their printer. The photos did turn out very good. But the machines were from Kodak, they were free standing individual kisoks.

got to run, can't keep Rolando and those beautiful Ladies waiting,

Cheers
King C
  View Public Profile Send a private message to KCMui Visit KCMui's homepage! Find More Posts by KCMui

Old 10-08-2006, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

I was told the same thing when I wanted to print a few 8 x 10 from walmart. I went to CVS Drugs and they had no problem and even let me sign up for a pro discount for the future prints I make.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 10-08-2006, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Too bad about Walmart, but very nice work, KC.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.181.61.137

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMui
And I don't mean the Weather..... :-p

My first Rolando Workshop is this weekend in Atlanta, despite the tryings of one United Air Line, I did make it into Atlanta in time for the workshop.

There are some HOT models there, so hot that when after I printed out 10 - 8x10's from this afternoon's shoot at a local WalMart Store. you may ask....... WHY WAL-MART ??? Well, they are the only one that is open, and after the shoot and the big dinner, most Camera store labs were closed. So if I want the printss, Walmart was the only choice left.

To make the story short, they have those KODAK imaging machines there where you can just put the CF card in, and crop and print 4x6 or 8x10 yourself. A good shopper that I am, I didn't want to bother anybody. So I just start the darn machine and start printing them. And after they are done, I took them to the electronic counter to pay for them, their 1 hour photo lab was closed for the evening.

And the guy at the counter did not know how much to charge me for those 8x10's, so he call a manager up to help him. And as the manager take one look at the picture, first words out of his mouth was "nice pictures" , so far so good.

But the second line was: "we can not sell those pictures to you".
DAMN... I didn't really use that exact word. I replied " but those are my pictures, I printed them from my memory card, and I just want to pay for them".
And he replied " I am sorry, company policy prohibits us to sell prints of professional photographs". Now I am really confused, and ask him "how do you define professional photographs"
And he replied " by those photographs with the background" "you see those behind that motocycle......etc etc", I know I am not getting anywhere with him and ask to speak to some one higher. Well, he said, you will have to come in the morning and speak to the photo lab manager.

Well, I said, if you can't sell me those photographs, I want to see them tear up before I leave.................so he destroy the photos and the $47 he could've charge me for them.

Sorry, Laura, Malloy and Holley, I was going to surprise you ladies with some 8x10's..... and Shannon, I didn't even try to print your pictures, because didn't think they will appove of them

Here are few of the so call professional prints that can not pass the Wal-Mart test. They really still need some post-processing work, to catch up to the standards most of you will set as acceptable.

comments and critics are welcome and appreciated..

Your images are looking really good. I like the warm skin tones.
As for the Wal-Mart issue. I have been asked by three Wal-Marts in this
area to sign a photographers copyright form and attach my business
card to it for future reference. Once that is done there are no further
problems with them. Someone didn't know what he was talking about
when he said told you that they can't print professional pictures. Their
machines are also set up to print 8x12's now so that you don't have to
loose two inches of your image.
Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 10-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

before I signed up as a client with www.prolabexpress.com (ask for Sasha) I used Wal mart primarily to make my prints.

I've gotten this sort of run around before, and as previously metioned it's 100% BS. They can print your images, they've printed all of mine, even with a copyright on the photo, I have been asked to fill out a form printed in a brouchure saying that I'm the owner of the image and I'm giving myself permission to make the prints, which I think is a bit stupid, cause it's MY NAME on the copyright.

You just have to find the right person to talk to. It will vary from person to person and store to store.

Old 10-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Nice images.

In the past, Walmart has had to pay out a lot of money when they've been shown to have violated copyrights of photographers. Now, according to the manager of one local store, corporate has instituted a policy of requiring the release mentioned before if there's any chance, in the opinion of the store staff, that those are professionally done images.

You and I might bitch about the inconvenience of it all, but we'd also be quick to sue them if we could prove they made copies of our prints for someone who just walked in with 'em.

This isn't new - it's been happening for at least a couple of years - you just haven't run into it yet, apparently.