Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Rolando, please cancel my membership
Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 49514
Comments: 0

MichaelMaryland is offline IP: 68.33.161.26

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Glamour Models used to be a very open forum of photographers and models.

It is so complex even I can not even navigate it.

It is all about you Rolando, and the advdertisements.

The open message board is gone.

Why would I recommend new models to this site?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MichaelMaryland Visit MichaelMaryland's homepage! Find More Posts by MichaelMaryland

Re: Rolando, please cancel my membership
Old 10-06-2006, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.197.199

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Michael,

First and foremost, we are not "glamour models," this site started out as my personal glamour portfolio and grew what it is today, there is more in the about us section.

While I'm not sure how much you follow here, every link is clearly labeled and this forums software is the same used by some of the largest forums in the world, some ten to 20 times bigger than this forum. It's also used by many photography websites. On the navigation, I've been working on improving it and first decided to launch ImageDots.com with the newer version of this software (first as a test bed and to learn from it) and are working on the search features. I've been slowling working on this site. If you look at the front of this site, you'll see the Google links how we are ranked #1 by them in glamour photography as well as other search terms.

I am currently the sold webmaster, the sole programmer, the sole coder, the sole jack of all trades. I do have help in customer service emails from Michael Dean and some great forum mods. If you've ever had a site this big, you just don't say one day I' want to make it look this way or do this thing--if you do, you stand the chance of breaking something, like the database and losing everything--hence why ImageDots (ID) started out empty--I built it in three days with no sleep and I'm still working on it even though I fly to Atlanta in a few hours and return on Monday.

Once we get folks to try out ID and tell us what is good/bad on Imagedots, we'll incorporate some of that here, the idea is to make everyone's profile page your page. Here is the current page for me, here is the new way that is coming.

Old way

New way (though shown on Imagedots.com we'll also have this on G1 soon, notice the entire gallery is on our home page)

The new method, with your gallery, also has a "lightbox" effect, go head, go to the page, click on the photos, see what happens. While we're still going to have our galleries, our idea is to have your profile and gallery all at one central point. The new system will also allow comments, like most sites are doing along with customizable CSS or templates for your page only.

Is this site totally about me as you claim, no. But I'm the sole programmer, webmaster and admin on this site, and I'm not paid. In exchange for what I do and beyond that like marketing, coding, etc., it's only fair that I get something in return--again, this site started as Rolando's personal site. When people started asking to be on here we expanded it. While it's no longer my sole, personal portfolio, it's my responsibility. Like all communities you have to have a "mayor," and while I'm not too much into politics, I am the mayor, you are the citizens, and some of you are even more, like forum police. It is a community, it's never been a secret who runs it at the helm. (Excuse my tpyos, lack of sleep)

I don't however do all of it alone outside the html/programming, I have some partners that do some work, some that don't. We also have forum moderators. We also have the community we rely on to help us when there are issues. We are bootsrap, not making a dime, more self perpetual and it's not always easy. I can't even tell you the thousands of dollars I've put in this site to keep it going--out of my own pocket, so yes, it's a place I will promote my wares. However, take a look at all the content of this site, besides the articles I've written, which anyone is allowed to write and contribute, only, maybe 5% of it is my personal stuff.

One banner for my book which this site makes 7% back from Amazon on to help pay for the server, and of course a box on the front page for my workshops. I might add, it takes up about 1/6 to 1/8th of the entire front page.

Now is it really about "Rolando" as you put it, yes to some degree, but it's more about what Rolando believes in and that is spreading the Gospel of Photography--read the Sept. issue of Rangefinder, they nailed it when it comes to what I've been through.

No on canceling the membership, you're free, as a Lifetime member to not post, not accept emails, not accept PM's, delete your photos, not come here, not do anything--that in itself is cancellation. I will not remove you because of a "frustration" because 98% of the time, people that asked to be removed come back wanting to be added on, we are swamped enough with customer service emails. But the truth is this, you made a commitment to be a Life member, stick with it, give it time, believe and it will come to reality.

There are tons of model sites, we are a photography site that provides resources to all and certainly having models on this site is a resource we want. We started as photography site and we have not plans to be a "glamour models" website--that would be losing our focus.

I've heard it thousands of times, I don't like this, I don't like that, but when we make someone happy and fix what they don't like, then comes along another psrson complaining about why we changed it and now they don't like it. That's not to say we don't listen, we do, and everyday, when I'm not traveling, I'm up till about 4:30 a.m. and I wake-up around 6:00 a.m. to help get my kids ready to school. For the last two weeks that I've been home know this, just look at my post times.

Heck, recently Sally, Holley, Malloy, Tony, Mark and some other folks have been to my home, Sally, Holley and Malloy stayed here for almost a week, as my witness they can tell you they always ask me one question, "when do you sleep?" If I'm not on this website I'm writing, post-production or on the phone--sometimes I wonder if my wife and kids know who I am anymore. Do I take posts like yours personally, of course I do, because I hate unhappy community members and right now I so stretched thin, each unhappy remark is like hitting me with a sledge hammer.

I'm not asking for pitty, I'm asking for patience, for faith, we're almost there, very, very soon. I wish you the best, don't give up, stay put, what do you have to lose?

On your last question, why would you send models here, well, first there are photographers here, good ones, great ones, and we're not convoluted community, we are who we are, (I am that I am).

Thanks for your support, thanks for being a part of the G1 community and family, thanks for your feedback, sincerely and passionately, rg sends!

Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 10-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMaryland
Glamour Models used to be a very open forum of photographers and models.

It is so complex even I can not even navigate it.

It is all about you Rolando, and the advdertisements.

The open message board is gone.

Why would I recommend new models to this site?
Dude,

What did you hope to accomplish with this thread? There's nothing constructive in your message. You're just bitchin'!

You joined back in Jan of '06 and have made 22 posts. You've seen very little of this site's evolution. It's not Glamour Models and never has been.

Rolando and I have had our issues. But all of mine have been constructive, harsh maybe, but I had a point to mine and it was clearly evident. I still have them. But they aren't serious enough for me to quit posting and being active here. When they are, you will see me drop off the face of the earth again.

If you don't like it here, don't post. Plain and simple. Go back to 'discovering models for Playboy and Penthouse' and leave us alone.

If you think you have something constructive to say and can help this site and community move forward then I'm sure Rolando would like to hear it. But don't come in here bitchin' and moanin' with notingh contructive to say. You're just wasting server resources I paid for when I signed up as a lifetime memeber.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Rolando, I understand your passion and drive and we've all heard the stories about lack of sleep and how much money you don't make off this site. There are plenty of people that like it here and would much rather you spend your time and resources making it better for them than explaining for the umpteenth time why someone should stick it out and be patient. Why don't you make one post that covers all of that and whenever someone posts a thread like this you just reply with a link to your post.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284

icuphotography is offline IP: 68.12.209.143

Rolando -

Why do you continually waste your valuable time (I know how little you have in a day) answering the banal criticism of losers? I doubt I would get so thorough a response if I gave you the greatest compliment in the world.

This poster doesn't even know the name of the site or that his membership is free. Your need to respond to these type of comments is getting almost codependent. Maybe its the middle of the night and somehow it makes sense to respond then. I don't know.

Look at what you have built and accomplished. Stop worrying about the single stupid crticizing voice that shouts the first thing that comes to its mind.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to icuphotography Find More Posts by icuphotography

Old 10-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.41.4.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuphotography
Rolando -

This poster doesn't even know the name of the site or that his membership is free.
Actually he is a lifetime member. he paid, that gives him some rights to complain. He has supported the site. It is the free members complaining that irritates me.

Scott

Old 10-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50352
Send a message via Yahoo to schlettyb

schlettyb is offline IP: 164.231.65.28

Wow..That is my first impression. My second thought is that this is one of those threads that can easily get outta control. My last thought is perhaps this is one of those threads that need to be marked 'closed to posts'.

As I sit here and ponder the enormity of this thread, my meandering musings can be summed up in 'wow'.

I am reminded of an episode of 'The Apprentice' in which a board member was being attacked by his team mates. He remained silent, mistakenly under the impression that his actios and produce would speak for themselves. But Donald still fired him. Why? Because he did not confront those that were trying to, and ultimately succeeding in, getting rid of him.

Donald's point was that sometimes, one needs to go to the mattresses, and voice your convictions and beliefs. By remaining silent, you agree with whatever is being said about you --- good or bad.

In all fairness, however, I do tend to agree with Mike...some postings cannot help but invoke a reply, but others, for whatever reason they seem to be lacking in constructiveness, need little more than an auto reply or maybe even a 'please contact me in private' sort of thing to resolve whatever perceived problem that has arisen.

That being said, I have posted that earlier I too have joined the web site world, or more like attempted it. After five days I have little to show for my efforts. Three days, and a fully functional web site? Excuse my french, but that kicks ass. Let me be a little more clear. I work 4 months straight, 7 days a week. I have been logging on to GG and Glamour 1 for a while now. And when I am out here, I logon every hour, for four months. Not once have I ever been given an error of any sort. NONE. Let's think about this seriously folks; can you say the same for Yahoo, Lycos, CNN, or others? Not likely, not truthfully.

And as I ponder further the postings herein, and the replies, I am moved to continue writing. Though I may be redundant, indeed moot, in my post, I feel pressured to speak my mind, not only as a morally responsible individual, but as an aspiring artist, and as an unwilling member of the notorious technorati.

What? You there, jumping up and down on your desk, waving your arms madly. How do I feel I'm qualified to speak on this subject? Well, not that it matters, but just to satisfy your curiosity, I'm certified in multiple UNIX languages, Micrsoft certified in different areas, Project Management, Digital Asset Management, Financial Planning, Communications Asset Management, and some other stuff hardly worth mentioning (though they all require intense attention to organization and planning), but suffice to say that if I screw up, people die. Not to wax melodramatic or anything. (You vets will recall how much organization goes into going out and eliminating the forces of evil on a daily basis.)

When I come upon a website that offends my sensibilities, I usually ask myself "Is this web site an example of chaos, or is it my sense of organizational skill that has been affronted?" 99% of the time, it's me. And then I will look at the how's and why's of a particular site, and hopefully learn some lesson. Failing that, I will enlist the help of a close friend, a somewhat well-known programmer/web guru hiding out in the Austin locale, to help me understand what I am looking at.

So it should be obvious, as I am sure it is to those of you who are mature, wise, and been blessed with a healthy does of observance, that one does not, by any stretch of the imagination, always need to blatantly point out a fault that he sees, without first trying to understand the thing that affronts him. Or maybe that's just the way that I was raised, call me crazy.

In a round about way, the question becomes, who has a right to complain, and once that is established, how much and how loud? I think we can all agree that complaints, so to speak, should be respectful, constructive, and done in a manner that edifies each other.

I was taught a couple of things that might be relevant: 1. If you don't have anything positive to say, keep it to yourself. 2. Say what you want, but be respectful about it (the root of this troublesome post, arguably, was not the most respectful in tone that I have ever encountered, but in writing, it can be a challenge to convey these sentiments, even for a seasoned writer). 3. If you are going to complain, you had best have some suggestions for improvement -- be ready to become part of the solution!

And with that happy though in mind, I'm off to furtile grounds, sowing seeds of artistic ecstacy in Image Dots!

Old 10-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54374
Send a message via Yahoo to racket4life

racket4life is offline IP: 24.159.62.56

I'm a free member, and will not bitch about anything that is given to me for free nor that I entered into of my own free will. But, the original poster did ask a question that has been unanswered....

Why should he send models to this site?

Does the question need to be answered for him? It has been 14 hours since he asked--so I will sum it up for him.

One of the toughest challenges a model faces is getting noticed and exposure. Dude, look at this site. There are hundred of photogs here that are photographing the most beautiful women in the world with crisp, sharp, perfect images posted daily. If a model wanted to be photographed for free--she could find it here. I'm a wedding photog--thinking about branching into the world of the masters within this forum. I have nothing of the skills that these guys do when it comes to fashion and glamour photography. Your question is ridiculous--this is the place to come if you are an aspiring model seeking the best photogs in the business to help you out. I have had solid and sound advice offered to me from these great photogs here and it is within hours that I have received help from people here. You should be embarassed taking a crack at RG for doing something like this.

RG--you handled yourself very well and I am impressed. Thank you for this great forum, the resources you have created here--and thanks to all of the impressive and professional photogs and models here that have been so positive, supportive, and giving in knowledge, information, and candor.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Nope, don't cancel mine!
Old 10-06-2006, 03:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44622

Mookster is offline IP: 69.242.208.129

Well, I'm not new to the site, but I'm not an "old timer", I have paid my dues, and learn great things on an almost daily basis here, so I've just taken the changes in stride. I'm not going to defend or attack anybody, just issue my thoughts. They can be ignored, deleted, expanded upon or disagreed with.

A month or 2 ago, all of a sudden, things got easier to navigate, the Forum posts were actually visible on the top/front page of the site, and some of the commonly used buttons and features actually became "Findable" by the average user, and it looked cleaner and more like a forum. Which is why us Lifers paid the money right?

Then, over the last Month or few weeks, it snuck back to the way it was, one small (or large) frame at a time. Now, the forums are at the bottom again, the top is cluttered back up with the advertisements and workshop dates, etc. Your first glance at the page it looks like a big cluttered up mess with advertisements. For a first time visitor, that has to be a turn off right?

I have sent 2 people to this site recently, to check out this or that or the other thing, and both people said it was really cluttered and hard to figure out. I find it that way again as well (as I said, it was getting better) and was really happy with the way it was shaping up. No, I don't want to cancel my membership, but, consider this my "Critique" for a better word.

Just my hundred bucks worth, and I'll throw in the .02 cents as well. Keep on plugging along Rolando, we all want this to be the best site for us (as well as you) Hope to meet you at one of those annoying, top of the page workshop dates soon, if I can get the wife to agree to the expenditure.

-Mook
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mookster Find More Posts by Mookster

Old 10-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.41.4.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by racket4life
There are hundred of photogs here that are photographing the most beautiful women in the world with crisp, sharp, perfect images posted daily. If a model wanted to be photographed for free--she could find it here.
Well said and I cant argue with that one... This is the place to be seen and gain that exposure that we all need.

Scott