Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Approaching a potential subject
Old 10-05-2006, 05:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.165

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Greetings,

I need some advice. I recently tried asking a young lady to allow me to take some head and shoulder photos. I "crashed and burned" severely. I won't go into details, but I later saw that my approach was not good. I'm not skilled enough to create some of the images I've seen here, but I'd love to practice what I've learned.

How would you all do it? I thought about carrying a card to pass out or even a media device with examples of what I'd like to try. Any advice you can provide would be helpful.

Sincerely,
JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Re: Approaching a potential subject
Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40360
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Zairia is offline IP: 70.225.34.78

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Try: "Hello, my name is JW. I am a photographer and I would love to take your photo." Give her a card..."Please check out my work and if your interested, call me to set something up." Then unless she has anymore questions...Leave.

So far, 8 out of 10 usually respond. Just keep it short.

Z
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zairia Visit Zairia's homepage! Find More Posts by Zairia

Old 10-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.41.9.173

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifcap
Greetings,

I need some advice. I recently tried asking a young lady to allow me to take some head and shoulder photos. I "crashed and burned" severely. I won't go into details, but I later saw that my approach was not good. I'm not skilled enough to create some of the images I've seen here, but I'd love to practice what I've learned.

How would you all do it? I thought about carrying a card to pass out or even a media device with examples of what I'd like to try. Any advice you can provide would be helpful.

Sincerely,
JW
I agree... Short and to the point then shut up and walk away. A card is a must. Perhaps a website to direct them to and a phone #. I usually have my portfolio with me in the car and sometimes a 4x6 version of it that is easier to carry around.

You have to remember that if they look good then you probably arent the first to ask them to model for you. You have to be professional and look the part. If you are at home depot and covered in dirt, that is probably not the time to ask. Also, be confident in who you are but also be realistic. If you are a beginner tell them that. Never act desperate. No one likes to deal with a desperate person. If you act like you have models comming to you for work all the time then they are more likely to agree. If you act like no one will work with you then why would this person do it?

Polite, confident and professional... That is the key! Good Luck

Old 10-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.165

Gentlemen,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I can whip up a card fairly easily, but a portfolio (online or printed) is another matter. I do have loads of 4x6 photos that I can put in an album, but these photos are mostly of things other than people. Perhaps I can cut out a few photos of what I'd like to try on a human subject. Again thanks for the advice.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.41.9.173

Quote:
Gentlemen,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I can whip up a card fairly easily, but a portfolio (online or printed) is another matter. I do have loads of 4x6 photos that I can put in an album, but these photos are mostly of things other than people. Perhaps I can cut out a few photos of what I'd like to try on a human subject. Again thanks for the advice.

JW
The best place to start is with family and friends. Get them to pose for you and then you have something to show.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 67.121.107.27

Are you serious about improving your photography regarding the photographing of people? If you are, then consider the following:

Find a model either here or at that One place that is experienced and is working for PAY only. Contact them and explain you're a beginner and want to further your knowledge. Again, explain fully in your e-mail that you are starting out, that way they can bow out right away if they aren't interested. If they seem interested, then speak to them on the phone and see if you guys feel comfortable with each other. Tell her your ideas and such. Some models will charge you a bit less if the shots are just for promo purposes or you are a beginner. Having a model that is experienced will help you out a great deal, she'll know how to pose and will help you develop your ideas.

Another possible source would be college drama students. I've worked with lots of college folks that needed shots, but didn't have the money for a full time shooter. This would probably be a TFP/CD type of thing, just be sure both you know what you're getting going into the shoot, both timewise and product wise.

Good luck. This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

R
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Old 10-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35217
Send a message via AIM to rockyf Send a message via Yahoo to rockyf

rockyf is offline IP: 72.199.61.183

Quote:
Greetings,

Sincerely,
JW
JW

If you want to work with amateur models in the San Diego area to learn. Just go to the monthly events in San Diego. We have amateur models attending at our events every month for over 22 years.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rockyf Visit rockyf's homepage! Find More Posts by rockyf

Old 10-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

I just hand them a card, smile, and tell them why I am approaching them.

As said before, give them a short introduction, and leave it to them to see your work, and call if they are interested.

Works quite well for me.

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Old 10-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

Take all of the above advie, and add 50 bucks to the deal.

I paid the first couple of models I worked with, and eventually as my skills increased both of those models ended up doind a couple TFP shoots with me.

Be polite, confident, sincere, neat and clean, have as much of an example of your work as you can on hand, and let them know you're looking to hire a model to help you develop your skills.

When all else fails grease the wheels with a little green.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 216.231.162.9

Depends on where you are and where you approach. I've probably handed out 500 business cards in the last 4 years, most of my cards had images representing my quality on them. Not a single response ever, no matter how polite or professional my approach. Back in the '80s, on 2 occasions, I had the police show up at my door to investigate - both potential subjects accused me of solicitation. Only my card and portfolio saved me from a trip to the station. I've stopped cold approaching anyone.

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch