Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Mac Cosmetics
Old 10-04-2006, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Someone was asking me a while back if I could find some info about Mac cosmetics. I think I was asked in a PM but, for the life of me, I can't find the message or remember who was doinng the asking.. One of you Florida shooters I think. Anywayz, the photographer in question told me he felt two of his shoots were screwed up because the MUA used Mac cosmetics.

I spoke with a very experience MUA at a shoot yesterday. She is involved in the development of a new cosmetic line. She told me the chemist she's working with (for the new line) told her that Mac puts talc in their base and, while Mac has really great colors, the talc (not visible to the naked eye in most lighting conditions) is highly reflective under the lights and reflects white through the color piments and the white "reads" in photographs.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Mac Cosmetics
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660
Comments: 0

lsleelee is offline IP: 68.11.49.165

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I think it was a forum post, or he also posted it in the forum, cause I remember reading that, but I don't know who it was either. Anyway, good info, thanks a lot man.

PS I love your blog. Great info. You sold me on a Stanley fan.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee

Old 10-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35855

roninsps is offline IP: 64.80.203.102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd

I spoke with a very experience MUA at a shoot yesterday. She is involved in the development of a new cosmetic line. She told me the chemist she's working with (for the new line) told her that Mac puts talc in their base and, while Mac has really great colors, the talc (not visible to the naked eye in most lighting conditions) is highly reflective under the lights and reflects white through the color piments and the white "reads" in photographs.

It's actually any cosmetics that contains silver or other metal "oxides" which include "di-oxides". Due to the synthetic process of these metal oxides, some cosmetics will actually reflect the light and cause white spots and or unevenness in skin tone where-ever the make-up is applied. The hotter the light, the more dramatic the effect. It's not the talc that causes this and there is nothing wrong with MAC Cosmetics when using diffusers like softboxes. I believe your MUA's chemist is wrong. The white that you see is from reflection of these metal oxides and not as much from talc showing through. A variety of different manufacturers like lancome, Estee and such all use these oxides. Try and stay away from them with hot lights (open strobe) and you shouldn't have a problem. I've shot with MAC for several years and never had a problem. MAC and a few other companies also have a line of cosmetics that are tailored for the photo/movie industries to avaoid this very issue.

-Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roninsps Visit roninsps's homepage! Find More Posts by roninsps

Old 10-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Hi Jimmy,

That florida shooter was me that asked you about Mac. My question is if it was all the Mac base coats or foundations why is it that you or other photographers have not run into this problem ? I am thinking Mac must have some foundations that are better for photography then others. The last 3 shoots that I used a MUA used Mac and the first shoot was a nightmare ..the second shoot seemed to be ok. And the last shoot was bad like the first one. But I have not been able to talk to the 3 diferent MUA's to see what was going on. I do know they all used Mac makeup.

I need to find a MUA that I can depend on to use the right stuff.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsps
It's actually any cosmetics that contains silver or other metal "oxides" which include "di-oxides". Due to the synthetic process of these metal oxides, some cosmetics will actually reflect the light and cause white spots and or unevenness in skin tone where-ever the make-up is applied. The hotter the light, the more dramatic the effect. It's not the talc that causes this and there is nothing wrong with MAC Cosmetics when using diffusers like softboxes. I believe your MUA's chemist is wrong. The white that you see is from reflection of these metal oxides and not as much from talc showing through. A variety of different manufacturers like lancome, Estee and such all use these oxides. Try and stay away from them with hot lights (open strobe) and you shouldn't have a problem. I've shot with MAC for several years and never had a problem. MAC and a few other companies also have a line of cosmetics that are tailored for the photo/movie industries to avaoid this very issue.

-Steve
I use softboxes and both models had white heads. And it was a simple setup..model was metered for f8 and the white background was metered for f11.

I had the both models remove there makeup and use there own and they looked much better. There is something going on with Mac.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 10-06-2006, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 70.149.123.243

I know a lot of mua who use mac and I could never tell anything wrong with them.

This was shot using mac cosmetics:
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax

Old 10-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax
I know a lot of mua who use mac and I could never tell anything wrong with them.

This was shot using mac cosmetics:
gotta love those MAC colors! maybe, if what steve says is right, some MUAs aren't using the pro line and are just using the retail cosmetic line. i dunno.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 10-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071

Brattitude is offline IP: 24.8.0.151

All of the images in my portfolio except the ones from S&T II are using MAC cosmetics (almost exclusively). I'm not sure what the issues were with the reflections, so I'm not sure if I have the same problems in my images or not. If you see the reflections you're referring to in my images, then you know to avoid MAC Studio Fix powders. If you don't see the issue, then I guess the Studio Fix is in the acceptable catagory.

If you can't be good, be good at it
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Old 10-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38303

Jason407 is offline IP: 68.202.54.215

I will add to the list here...
The MUA's I use tend to use a lot of MAC brand cosmetics...I have never noticed a problem.
I love MAC...that lip glass stuff is hot!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jason407 Visit Jason407's homepage! Find More Posts by Jason407

Old 10-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51088

Jackieraye is offline IP: 70.44.108.201

I love Mac cosmetics. I really like the blendability of the cake foundations. I don't recall any photographers complaining about the faces coming out too white. For setting the makeup, I use Physcian's Formula (drugstore, target). I don't know if perhaps the powder type is what is giving a reflection. I've never had any trouble. Maybe the MUA isn't using the right shade of makeup for the skin tones? Could be harsh lighting?
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by Jackieraye