Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Rima
Old 09-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35473
Comments: 0

KadeLam is offline IP: 24.90.192.180

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My good buddy Rima from Paris.

Kade

View Public Profile Send a private message to KadeLam Visit KadeLam's homepage! Find More Posts by KadeLam

Re: Rima
Old 09-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Nice change up from the string of unearthly goddess you've been presenting - an earthly goddess. Of course, the "jewelry police" with have your head for the ring, and the "limb police" for the elbow and reappearing hand, but all I see is a sensitive portrait of an intelligent, sensuous woman. Nicely rendered. Myself, I like the framing.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Interesting framing that seems to work well. This is a nice portrait and could be made stronger by a catch light in the eyes to add a bit of sparkle. Also might have been better to have the fingers extended a little more so as not to point right at the eyebrow (this effects the balance a bit). All in all a nice shot.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.37.143

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford
Nice change up from the string of unearthly goddess you've been presenting - an earthly goddess. Of course, the "jewelry police" with have your head for the ring,
Not necessarily, jewelry often works and is used to great advantage. Depends on the type of image and what is being presented. I have a very large tackle box filled with costume jewelry (one of the advantages to living near NYC - you can get all sorts of costume jewelry very cheap!). The key is to match the jewelry to the outfit and scene so that it looks like it all "goes". Since this is a portrait and not a "glamour shot" the ring is fine. The black bracelet could go though... LOL! But it's not bad either for this.

Quote:
and the "limb police" for the elbow and reappearing hand,
Again it depends. Those rules do not hold so hard and fast for a very close cropped portrait, which this is. The "limb police" (of which I am probably one) come out in force when they're looking at a full length shot of someone that's been cropped at the ankles or mid shin. Thats not being creative - that's being sloppy. But even that rule can be broken if you do it right. In my port is an image of Kristin, nude with some pool balls. The image is being used with that crop for an adult greeting card (Birthday card, actually). It works even though the crop is past the knee because of the overall symmetry of the image, the angle it was shot at, and the strong point(s) of interest. But had it been cropped much closer to the ankle it wouldn't have worked even with the other factors.

In fact, for this shot I would experiment with even tighter cropping.

Now to the OP, I like this shot a lot. I spent a bit of time doing doc work and shooting PJ style portraits and it is one of my favorite things to do. I think you did a nice job with this. I agree that a catchlight would have been nice. As well I would have liked to see the fingers from the hand over her head not dissect her eyebrow. But you know what, those are nitpicky things and some of that comes down to taste. I think the image works and that's what counts. Try experimenting with an 11x14 crop, you might like it for this image.

Thanks for sharing!

Matt
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 09-25-2006, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Matt -

For the record, I used the quotes around "jewelry police" and "limb police" because there was a time not too terribly long ago when posting anything with one of those issues invoked almost a knee-jerk response, "You're breaking the rule about ..." I wanted to make it clear that I don't fall into that camp. While I don't believe in breaking rules simply to break rules, I also think that the effectiveness of the image is the thing, not whether some generalization is obeyed.

Also for the record, I wouldn't have considered you part of the "limb police." Insofar as I can recall, your comments to that effect were in appropriate circumstances.

And finally, regarding "Those rules do not hold so hard and fast for a very close cropped portrait" - I think you should have left out the "for a very close cropped portrait." IMO, the rules never hold hard and fast. Only when application improves the image. Whatever that means.

Very nice portfolio work, although I'm not so sure I agree about the pool ball image. But that probably goes back to the last phrase above.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.37.143

Quote:
Very nice portfolio work, although I'm not so sure I agree about the pool ball image. But that probably goes back to the last phrase above.
Thank you and regarding the shot, I tend to agree with you, but it had to fit on a greeting card and I wasn't the final arbiter of the crop. But over all I do think it works. That is of course separate from the point of whether or not it is a good image. It is a good image so far as it is exactly what the client wanted. Beyond that, well....... Let's just say I don't dislike it, but it is by no means one of my favorites....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 09-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 52513
Send a message via Yahoo to TJPhotoGuy

TJPhotoGuy is offline IP: 207.71.25.66

I love that shot! Very nice... nice mode, composition, everything.

Regarding cropping, cropping is probably the most subjective of all "guidelines" in portraiture. Just as soon as someone says "don't do this" you'll see a photo in a book, magazine or billboard doing just that.
  View Public Profile Visit TJPhotoGuy's homepage! Find More Posts by TJPhotoGuy