Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What do you wish you knew when you were starting out?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54255
Comments: 0

Daniel_D50 is offline IP: 124.177.114.226

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I thought this question might get some of your pro experience for us beginners :-)

For example... I have my first shoot coming up. It is voluntary work for a cheerleading team (Seniors and Juniors) who probably don't have the dough to pay for their team photo. I have a Nikon D50, a brand new gold/white reflector, a brand new 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor lens, a couple of other longer/slower lenses, and a tripod. Oh, and enthusiasm ;-) I intend to shoot on a field with them in mid-late afternoon, and perhaps use a few printed poses that I like which I can ask them to do to make the scenes more interesting.

Besides my specific situation, perhaps some of the more experienced members could give general "I wish I knew..." advice for others of us less-experienced?

Many, many, many thanks in advance.

Daniel.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Daniel_D50 Find More Posts by Daniel_D50

Re: What do you wish you knew when you were starting out?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If you are shooting individual people, the 50 should be fine.
If you are going for groups, the whole team, or action shots I would think a wide angle would be a good idea.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 67.139.53.39

Don't get to caught up in the moment! You have to step back and make sure the light is right, the backgrounds clear, the equiptment working etc. Take your time and make sure you are doing it right the first time.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54374
Send a message via Yahoo to racket4life

racket4life is offline IP: 71.87.167.49

One thing I learned in wedding photography. Every subject has an idea, image, or someone very important to them that they want images of themselves together with. You may think you nailed the shoot--only to find out later that you missed a very simple idea/concept that the customer/client was looking for. Even if you are shooting this pro-bono...you need to ensure you get feedback a day prior to the event so that you can envision everything in your head from the time you leave your house to the time that you return. If you know all of their expectations ahead of time--then when you nail the shoot--you truly nail it.

ie....two of the cheerleaders may have been best friends for the last 12 years and do not have ANY pictures together--this is your opportunity to provide them with just that! Ask questions, get feedback, go in confident and aware--and you'll nail it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 207.119.205.187

I have done cheerleaders and sports players for 25 years. A few things I wish I had done different the first time? Don't have them face into the sun, pay attention to the background (try to eliminate distractions), and (since you are digital) don't shoot just one shot of a pose (edit later).
With cheerleaders, be sure you DO NOT get a shot of their panties, no matter how short the skirt and have the coach or a mom stand by to adjust bra straps. Keep hands off. You will immediately be pegged as a dirty old man (high school girls and their parents are like that). Also, if you are doing a group shot, do more than one setup. Let them or their coach set up at least one.
Mind your manners and keep your cool, even if they test your temper. My biggest complaint is that no matter what you say ahead of time, someone will show up with a camera and want to shoot every shot you take. Politely explain that you are here to make a living and that whatever they take, they will probably give away... which will keep you from making a living.
I always shoot with the camera on manual and use a fill flash on manual. But if you use a reflector, you will do pretty good. Just be sure to get in close to the face for a meter reading and don't worry so much about the background. If it is one stop over or under exposed, it isn't as important as if the face is underexposed.
Be prepared. Be professional. Be courteous. Be willing to adapt. And if they order pictures, get your money up front. You can't set them up on a shelf and sell them to someone else if they don't pay or pick them up. Rick from Arkansas
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 09-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_D50
I thought this question might get some of your pro experience for us beginners :-)

Daniel.
Daniel,

WHAT WOMEN REALLY WANT

For every person that can not afford you, there is another one refusing to pay for something that cheap. go figure!

Photography is not about you, it's about them. You take that simple concept and you will be successful.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 09-21-2006, 07:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51947

Oneshot is offline IP: 65.94.187.203

Just a thought here. If you have a year book or 2 around. Take a look at some of the shots in there as well. While I was taking pictures for my high school year book, I had the cheerleaders do the kneeling pyramid. Couple of action shots while in a cheer. My best advice I can give you though is, if you happen to be on the field while they are practicing or its a football game what ever. Stay away from the flying batons and kicking legs! Nearly got my camera and myself kicked that way multiple times.

Good luck with your shoot!

Oneshot

Old 09-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

You guys are so awesome. Thanks for all the advice. :-)

Daniel.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Daniel_D50 Find More Posts by Daniel_D50

Old 09-25-2006, 11:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

Two things...

First not to waste my money on the cheap gear, it's not worth it and will cost more in both money and frustration in the end. I know it sounds snobbish but I've been there and done that. I'm talking about cheap flashes and lenses.

Second, what JT said. At least I wish I knew that when I started shooting women.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 09-26-2006, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieR
Two things...

First not to waste my money on the cheap gear.... (snip)... I'm talking about cheap flashes and lenses.
Thanks Ernie! I just discovered the limitations of cheap gear. I am still on my first DSLR (a Nikon D50) with both kit lenses, and a brand spanking new 50mm f/1.8 prime. I found the kit lenses extremely limiting. Very difficult to focus sharply, slow, etc. However, the 70-300mm (fully extended with lense hood on) looks mighty mean when out at a sporting event compared to the P&S cameras all over the place. I have been asked numerous times which paper I shoot for just because of that. The paper that I shoot for is the folding kind which goes in my wallet. Hehehehe...

I still need a speedlight, and the budget one is about $400 (Australian, maybe about $300 USD) which is a Nikon SB600. My brother has one and seems to do fine, but apparently it is not full manual. I guess I have to weight that up against a longer, faster lens for some sporting shots, and my wishlist full of studio lighting... Ah, who needs money when you have photographic equipment?

;-)

Daniel.