Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Degree or no Degree?
Old 09-17-2006, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52026
Comments: 0
My Mood:

DSallee is offline IP: 68.89.218.48

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm needing some input. I am considering going to college to get a Bachelors degree in photography.
Does anyone know much about Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara Califirnia? I'm considering going to Brooks to get my Bachelor of Arts in Photography but wondering if is worth it in the real world.
I had first thought of just going to Hallmark Institute of Photography in Mass. but it's only a 10 month course and no degree... I feel a degree would do me much better in the field than not one..
I have been searching the net for other places and these two are my top picks from the info I got. If you know of a better college, please chime in....
What is your take on a degree or no degree?
Thanks for any input,
Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DSallee Visit DSallee's homepage! Find More Posts by DSallee

Re: Degree or no Degree?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52026
My Mood:

DSallee is offline IP: 68.89.218.48

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

BTW.. here is the course outline for Brooks... cover quite a bit and they said I will be shooting EVERYDAY for the next three years starting with a medium format camera...

Course Outline

Thanks
Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DSallee Visit DSallee's homepage! Find More Posts by DSallee

Old 09-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Member GG#: 3
Comments: 1

Michael H Dean is offline IP: 69.242.120.128

Brooks is one of the best there is. All I can say if you can get in...go, go, go
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Michael H Dean Find More Posts by Michael H Dean

Old 09-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.138.190.226

Hello Dave,
as far as getting a degree or not, I'd have to say go for it. One of my photo instructors got his Bachlor's there and he said that it was excellent. Myself, I almost completed my AS in Photography (just haven't had the time to complete it) and I would have to say that it was worth going and taking the classes, it made me better at my/our craft. A Bachelors degree couldn't hurt, so I say go for it, Brooks is an excellent instition.

Isaiah Brink

Old 09-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.181.61.137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSallee
I'm needing some input. I am considering going to college to get a Bachelors degree in photography.
Does anyone know much about Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara Califirnia? I'm considering going to Brooks to get my Bachelor of Arts in Photography but wondering if is worth it in the real world.
I had first thought of just going to Hallmark Institute of Photography in Mass. but it's only a 10 month course and no degree... I feel a degree would do me much better in the field than not one..
I have been searching the net for other places and these two are my top picks from the info I got. If you know of a better college, please chime in....
Thanks for any input,
Dave
Anytime you get the chance to further your education can be a good thing.
I got my degree in commercial art/illustration/photography and applied those
towards the advertising business years ago.
Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 09-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Rolando stated at one time in one of his posts the following about Brooks:

"the best photo school in the world"

He often mentions them in his workshops.

All the things I have ever heard about them are positive.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 72.150.207.141

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSallee
Thanks for any input,
Dave
Working toward a degree is a worthy task. From all I have heard Brooks is a great photography school, maybe the best, but it is very expensive. If you have the funds available have a great time there. As with other schools, don't confuse the cost of the schooling with earning potential. Brooks was recently cited for overstating their earning potential. See http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/search/..._id=1000999850
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli

Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.198.183

Dave,

I have a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communication, Electronic Media, which I earned in 2001, a bit late above my peers my age. Education is always good. I often wonder why they don't make photographers get annual CEU's like folks in other professions as technology changes every Monday when the Board of Directors meet.

My whole life before that degree I wanted to go to Brooks, just never had the cards lined up. I was lucky enough to attend a week at Brooks while in the military and I became friends with David Litschel, author of Black & White Photography a great book!

David is now the Provost of Brooks. I have been offered to teach there on many occassions after I received my Bachelor's. David also offered me to teach a weekend workshop there someday. I'm thinking about it, just never put together the course plan, I have much on my plate.

In a nutshell, I always wanted to go there, never was able too. I hear, may not be true, but I hear that the current top photographer for Playboy, Arnie Freytag, is a Brooks graduate. I know one of his former assistants that went there and works for the Bunny.

While Brooks doesn't push glamour, they know it's another legit genre and have slowly changed their attitude toward it. They are tops in other genres, especially commercial and photojournalism.

When I went there I was lucky to chat with Ernest Brooks (think it was Jr.) and when he found out my wife was a scuba diver he sent her an autographed black and white he'd shot underwater--we proudly display it here at the house. This was before Brooks was bought out. From what I've seen, the are world-class, first-class and highly supported by the Photo Industry.

I hope that helps, thanks for being a part of the G1 family and community, rg sends!

Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 09-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.51.123.219

Personally what I recommend to people who want to become working photographers is to go to school... a business school that is heavy on marketing and self promotion.

I know a lot of great photographers who are driving cabs, or other jobs because they don't understand the business side of the business.

Glenn

Old 09-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsphoto
Personally what I recommend to people who want to become working photographers is to go to school... a business school that is heavy on marketing and self promotion.

Glenn
boy, you got that right. when art meets commerce, artists are (generally) inept.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd