Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Let me get this straight...
Old 09-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran

Member GG#: 46477
Comments: 0

atlantashooter is offline IP: 216.199.73.42

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I know this isn't rocket science but I've got a shoot coming up that I want to use the plexiglass flooring on. I've never used a plexiglass floor before but always liked the effect - not to mention keeping the seamless from damage from sharp heels. In reading through some of the threads here I see people talking about using clear, white, and black plexiglass. In one thread I read that using black is best and posted a question about "why black?". I still don't get it. Am I the only one that doesn't understand why using black is better than using clear? If I'm shooting on white seamless does the black just mirror the white (as implied in this post and this post) and not look a shade darker? Wouldn't I use the black plexiglass only on darker colors of seamless or is it good on white or lighter color seamless?

Could somebody make this clear (pun intended)?

Thanks,

DP Ellis
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atlantashooter Visit atlantashooter's homepage! Find More Posts by atlantashooter

Re: Let me get this straight...
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.181.61.137

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantashooter
I know this isn't rocket science but I've got a shoot coming up that I want to use the plexiglass flooring on. I've never used a plexiglass floor before but always liked the effect - not to mention keeping the seamless from damage from sharp heels. In reading through some of the threads here I see people talking about using clear, white, and black plexiglass. In one thread I read that using black is best and posted a question about "why black?". I still don't get it. Am I the only one that doesn't understand why using black is better than using clear? If I'm shooting on white seamless does the black just mirror the white (as implied in this post and this post) and not look a shade darker? Wouldn't I use the black plexiglass only on darker colors of seamless or is it good on white or lighter color seamless?
Could somebody make this clear (pun intended)?
Thanks,
DP Ellis
I don't have any samples to show, but I have worked with clear before and
found that you can put your choice of colors underneath the clear plexi to
pick up on that color. It would be like running your seamless paper down
the wall and onto the floor with the clear plexi on top of the paper.
JIm
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 09-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran

atlantashooter is offline IP: 216.199.73.42

Thanks Jim,

Yeah, I get the clear thing and that's what I assumed everybody used until I read some of the posts about black plexiglas. I don't really want to buy both kinds and want to get the one that serves the purpose best. Ever used the black plexiglas?

DP Ellis
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atlantashooter Visit atlantashooter's homepage! Find More Posts by atlantashooter

Well it might add. . .
Old 09-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 71.195.202.76

a little color. . .

Using clear is like putting a high clear gloss over what ever you are using. Which might be what you are looking for. The thing is there will be a color shift however slight it might be from the reflection. Even without the gloss if you look at any image taken on colored paper there will be a noticable color tinge around the areas close to and radiating up from the paper. This is not true with White (all colors) and black (no color). The difference is that white might dilute colors where as black cannot.
Any thing short of a true mirror will attenuate the values of the colors and/or light. Black just doesn't add color. In other words you might get something darker but the colors will be true. Anything else be as dark and also affect the color.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.181.61.137

Quote:
Thanks Jim,
Yeah, I get the clear thing and that's what I assumed everybody used until I read some of the posts about black plexiglas. I don't really want to buy both kinds and want to get the one that serves the purpose best. Ever used the black plexiglas?
DP Ellis
I haven't ever used the black plexiglass myself so I am not sure how
it would work if a person wanted a backdrop that wasn't black also.
Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 09-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.248.119

Quote:
Thanks Jim,
DP Ellis
Use black plexi for a nice gloss and reflection for a black floor. Use clear for everything else. Get white plexi when you run out of other things to buy, or have a specific reason (i.e. client request) to use it. Here's a shot w/ black plexi on the floor.

-Chip

Old 09-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

May be you should consider how many different look/color you can get with clear plexi as opposed to one when you buy black one. Just my thought on it. I have used two 4x8 white panels on the floor over the white seemless paper, worked great and quite a bit less expensive. You can buy these panel in buiding supplies stores such as Home Depot or some other ones.
Ami is posing on these two white panels with white paper underneat and behind in the background. Can you tell if there any panels?

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 09-15-2006, 06:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran

atlantashooter is offline IP: 71.12.160.247

Ahhhhh.... now it's all clear. No more blind wandering through the blackness. ...ok, I'll stop.

Really do appreciate all the input and shots showing the different cuts and colors of plexiglass. Pretty simple but sounded like there was more advantage to the black than I could see. Makes sense to avoid the stuff with the green tint and no, I couldn't see the "seam" between the 2 4x8 sheets so that sounds like a $$$ saver.

Now I'm on a mission to find a good acrylics/plastics dealer nearby that delivers.

Hope everybody has a good weekend

DP Ellis

Old 09-15-2006, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

Perhaps I should point out how to lay down those 4x8 sheets. Don't lay them down side by side or you will get a slight seam visible, instead the sheet closest to the camera overlay it about an 1/2 to 1 inch over the farthest sheet. Be overlaying slightly there is no visible seam to the camera. Best wishes in your project and let us know how it works for you(:-)

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 09-16-2006, 05:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45715

ruben is offline IP: 207.81.158.56

what thickness of plexy are you guys using?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ruben Visit ruben's homepage! Find More Posts by ruben