Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Question of procedure
Old 09-15-2006, 03:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.91.97

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

As of late, I have been actually acting on the excellet advice that I have recieved here and on this sites predecessor, from the excellent photographers and models, and once again, I thank all of you who have helped me along. My question is pretty straight forward, at least I think. Simply put, I wait to post an image either here or on another site (not the three lettered one) until the model has her/his copy of the prints and cd. I've been doing TFP/CD work if that makes a difference. My question is, what is your practice of posting images of a model? Do you wait until the model has seen/recieved thier copy/ies of the file/prints before you post? Or do you post before? If you do post before, do you post images that you aren't planning to use? I'm just looking to see what is done by the rest of you out there. Thanks.

Isaiah Brink

Re: Question of procedure
Old 09-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625
Comments: 0

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.39.2

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am probably not a good person to answer, because I pay my models, rather than doing TFP, but that's not going to stop me. My answer is "it depends on the model release".

With one model (and only one so far), I signed a release which gave her right of disapproval (I really wanted to work with her, so I caved on this point ), so I had to wait. To make things worse, she was interstate for what felt like ages!

With one other model, I signed a release which said I wouldn't post any image that showed, um, "too much" (it was defined more objectively in the release!) - I posted non-controversial images before she saw them, but held off on anything she might want to discuss.

In my regular release, the model does not have right of disapproval, so I can post images with a clear conscience. I'll still listen to a model's opinions, and I took down one image that the model didn't like (she felt it made her nose look too big...).

To paint a complete picture, though, I should mention that I'll often e-mail a selection of images to the model as I process them, so often the model is the first to see them (well, other than me, and my cats ) . On a few occasions I have received a return e-mail "please don't use THAT image" (various reasons - loose hairs, makes a body part look too big / too small, the usual sort of thing). I guess that's the sort of feedback you are waiting for, too.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 09-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Well, IMO, I think that you are a fine person to answer. You're giving me useful information that I can use later on, but I am glad that you put a piece of info in there regarding the model release, that could save my rear at some time. Thanks!

Isaiah

Old 09-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071

Brattitude is offline IP: 66.151.166.5

As a TFP model, I appreciate it when I get an e-mail with some pictures before they hit the net for human consumption. It not a requirement of mine by any means, but I'd be more likely to work with a photographer who was to show me the courtesy. I'd like to see the product of my labors before I get an e-mail from someone saying "nice pictures by: ___" and my only response is "huh?", because I have no idea what picture he is referring to.

If you can't be good, be good at it
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattitude
As a TFP model, I appreciate it when I get an e-mail with some pictures before they hit the net for human consumption. It not a requirement of mine by any means, but I'd be more likely to work with a photographer who was to show me the courtesy. I'd like to see the product of my labors before I get an e-mail from someone saying "nice pictures by: ___" and my only response is "huh?", because I have no idea what picture he is referring to.
I agree, and that's why I wait for the models input for just that reason. I'd be suprised as well. An email with a few images from the shoot does help with things, if anything else, the photographer is telling the model that he/she's doing something and just not holding on to the images. Thanks for your input Toni, it's always appreciated to have your input, not just as a model, but from you as an individual.

Isaiah Brink

Old 09-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 24.241.224.198

I always send an e-mail to the model with the best photos from the shoot before I post them anywhere. Now sometimes it's only a matter of mintues between those two events but there's a possibilty that she saw them before anyone else did.
MM#84146
http://www.monkeymetal.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 09-16-2006, 12:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

In a perfect world, I think its nice to let the model have first crack at seeing the photos. But I often find that the models I've worked with are so busy, and traveling so much, that it may be many weeks later before they have a chance to actually look at the proofs. If I post before the model has seen the proofs I always try to err on the side of caution.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39219
My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to Basepin Send a message via AIM to Basepin Send a message via MSN to Basepin Send a message via Yahoo to Basepin

Basepin is offline IP: 68.54.170.210

It's been my experience that most models want to see the images as early as possible and want to post some likewise. In any case the easiest solution seems to be a Photo site like Smugmug or one of the many others like it that can be pass word protected if necessary. The best solution would be an FTP for the images on your own website.

I create an empty folder and write the address on the back of a business card with a quick description of how to get the image I want them to use downloaded. (With smugmug you have to click an “O” under the image to get the original.” I have this image sized to 6oo or 8oo pixels depending on the site they use. (We need to remember that not all models have the tools to resize images without seriously degrading them.) After the shoot I will give the models an estimated time for the first images to be uploaded. I will then send an email with a link to the site after I have completed four of five images. . . . and after all of that I post a couple images.

All of the models that I’ve dealt with use yahoo or hotmail accounts for email and are almost useless for sending images. Provided you even get through the spam filter the mail boxes are already full or will be full within an image or two. Hint: Delete your read mail and save the mail you want to keep to your computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic
. . .
With one model (and only one so far), I signed a release which gave her right of disapproval (I really wanted to work with her, so I caved on this point ), so I had to wait. To make things worse, she was interstate for what felt like ages!

With one other model, I signed a release which said I wouldn't post any image that showed, um, "too much" (it was defined more objectively in the release!) - I posted non-controversial images before she saw them, but held off on anything she might want to discuss. . .
Were the images you gained from using these models worth the extra effort?

<------ I warned you I was confused.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 75.32.138.39

If I've paid the model, then I post at will. If it was a tfcd shoot, I make sure they at least have the web-quality version first, even if the disk is still being compiled to mail to them (I post as I process them, but only after e-mailing links to my server for them to download from or e-mailing them a j-peg)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle