Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  


 
Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum
 

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Interesting topic from another site... (long read) 1st half
Old 09-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

 
Ron_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Member GG#: 38178
Location: Lexington, Columbia SC
Posts: 441
Comments: 0

Ron_C is offline IP: 64.20.133.148
 
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmodelsandtalen
Most working models, of course, are doing paid jobs. There is an incredible amount of good paying work out there, though very little of it makes it to model forums - which is why you don't generally see a lot of working models online sites, exception being adult glamour. Definitely, represented models are working paid, except when they are testing. I would say that paid work accounts for the majority of modeling assignments available. This does not take into account hobbiest and TFP shooting as a consideration in the equation, of course.
Sometimes models will work unpaid if it will provide large exposure and/or a tearsheet. Many others will not even then, and usually aren't expected to. For most releases to be valid (when push comes to shove in a court room dispute over commercial image use, for instance), there must be a fair exchange - which means compensation.
Once a model has some initial images, the free posing only deminishes their value going forward. Exceptions are for regular testing with photographers who shoot the local commercial or fashion markets and/or have ad agency connections... or to try new looks, update headsheets, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEccentric
I've gone on over a dozen shoots and gotten paid barely three times (not including money used for gas to get there). For some reason the poll wouldn't let me vote, but either way, it seems photographers aren't very willing to pay a model for her time and effort, even if she's half naked. Sometimes they even get touchy when a model asks for gas re-imbursement. Hello - I came from 100 miles away just for you, and gas is $3 a pop. I'd much rather drive half an hour, lose a portion of a buck, and make $200 at work than drive two hours, lose half a gas tank, and make jack squat at work. How am I supposed to make money modeling as a career if I'm making charity trips for a free photoshoot? I take an entire day at work off just so that - IN CASE - a two hour shoot becomes five hours (I can't even count how many times that's been the case), I've got the day to spend shooting.
Photographers may think that models don't do much at shoots, but how many times has it been in the results that a certain twist of the head would've made the picture? How many times have I come to the shoot and had to run the show because, "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm really good with lights and composition, but bad at modeling poses"? There's only so many things photoshop can do.
Well, thank you. I've been wanting to rant for quite a while now, so letting this all out was very therapeutic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmodelsandtalen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEccentric
...it seems photographers aren't very willing to pay a model for her time and effort
That's because photographers don't pay models, clients do. Photographers are paid to shoot models (by the client also). The unrealistic expectation on the Internet seems to be that photographers pay models. Except for amateur, hobby, and adult oriented, very few (if any) professional photographers pay models... simply because they are in business to make money themselves too. There are always exceptions, but these are rare, or at a mom-and-pop-shop level where a very small client may be working within a very small budget. Generally speaking, when models and photographers are contracted for a job, the client foots the bill and the model is paid by the client through either direct, though the models' agent, or via the advertising agency that represents the client.
Except for test shoots, almost 100% of model jobs are PAID. Other than on the Internet, I don't know any models who work for free unless adding portfolio images or on spec for stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evy
here's my question--who are these clients and how do they find their models/how do models find them? i am still building my portfolio so i don't have a problem with TFP right now, but for the time when i can get into paid jobs it's all very fuzzy to me how exactly one does that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmodelsandtalen
Quote:
Originally Posted by evy
here's my question--who are these clients and how do they find their models/how do models find them?
The clients are any company that needs models. Generally, these are businesses of almost any size (from the local clothing store at the mall doing fliers or local paper ads, to large corporation doing catalogs or national magazine advertising). Models are booked through fashion or commercial talent agencies. It is not unlike in the non model world where one time or short term jobs are booked through temporary employment services such as Manpower, Staffing Solutions, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmodelsandtalen
You're welcome. The "sigh" referenced having just explained it all and it apparently went right over some heads if they are still thinking Internet forums is where you find paying jobs.
I've been in the business now 25+ years and have never met any professional photographers who "pay models." On the Internet, or at camera clubs, etc., sure... but certainly not working photographers who are in business. Photographers are in business to make money, not spend it. They are hired to shoot models and are paid by clients. Models are paid by their agents who are paid by those same clients also. It simply is how this business has always worked and is not likely to change.
Forums and free portfolio listings are great places to hang out, share information, network, gain experience, find test shoots, and have fun... but working and being paid is part of the business that takes place through the actual industry. To ask, "What percent of models working are paid," is almost silly. 100% of working models are paid. Everything else is aspiring to be professional. All model jobs are paid, and that is why they are referred to as "jobs."
[quote="loweje"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEccentric
I've gone on over a dozen shoots and gotten paid barely three times (not including money used for gas to get there). For some reason the poll wouldn't let me vote, but either way, it seems photographers aren't very willing to pay a model for her time and effort, even if she's half naked. Sometimes they even get touchy when a model asks for gas re-imbursement. Hello - I came from 100 miles away just for you, and gas is $3 a pop. I'd much rather drive half an hour, lose a portion of a buck, and make $200 at work than drive two hours, lose half a gas tank, and make jack squat at work. How am I supposed to make money modeling as a career if I'm making charity trips for a free photoshoot? I take an entire day at work off just so that - IN CASE - a two hour shoot becomes five hours (I can't even count how many times that's been the case), I've got the day to spend shooting.
Photographers may think that models don't do much at shoots, but how many times has it been in the results that a certain twist of the head would've made the picture? How many times have I come to the shoot and had to run the show because, "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm really good with lights and composition, but bad at modeling poses"? There's only so many things photoshop can do.
Well, thank you. I've been wanting to rant for quite a while now, so letting this all out was very therapeutic.
__________________
Seeing is believing.... But capturing it is something else!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Ron_C Visit Ron_C's homepage! Find More Posts by Ron_C
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An interesting read...PJs don't like GWCs either. :) RHWeiner Main Community Forum 0 02-05-2010 03:19 PM
2nd half of thread from other site... Ron_C Main Community Forum 4 09-14-2006 05:05 AM
Long and the Winding Road Fish Main Community Forum 8 05-01-2006 11:32 PM

Sponsors


New To Site? Need Help? Photographer & Model Links
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 AM.

© 1999-2017 Garage Glamour™




Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93