Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Have the 'rules' gone out the door here?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.164.138.170

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

One of the unique things about Garage Glamour was the famous 'rule 10'. Looking at the current set of rules, I still see it there, yet I have yet to see anyone with under 100 posts pay any attention to it.

Just curious.

How many newbies know what 'rule 10' is?

How many even know where the rules are?

How many even care?

Just wondering...

Case in point.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Re: Have the 'rules' gone out the door here?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 53461
Send a message via AIM to coreymcl

coreymcl is offline IP: 24.0.91.115

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have to admit I did not read the rules until this thread. It's good to remind us newbe's about the rules.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to coreymcl Visit coreymcl's homepage! Find More Posts by coreymcl

Is it interpretation, or just not "knowing" the rules?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44622

Mookster is offline IP: 69.242.208.129

This is just my .02 cents on the subject, but I've been a bit skeptical about the "Rule 10" since I read the rules a while back (before I became a Lifer), and then saw it in action a few times.

In posts that I've initiated, the Rule 10 thing wasn't really adhered to, but, the people that gave me good advice (you know who you guys are! , also posted up pics demonstrating how they went about defeating some of the problems I was running into. There was actually a reason for the "Rule 10" and I very much appreciated it.

Now, for the post referenced as an example. I don't see a cut and dried reason for the Rule usage there... Should the poster have put up an image of a Model wearing beachware on the beach? Should they have posted some random image that has no bearing on the post at all?

It's all up to how you interpret it I guess, but if there isn't sharp criticism, or a "you did it wrong, I'd have done it this way" type of statement, why post up a "Rule 10" photo? I've seen more than once when a Rule 10 photo was posted by an expert after dispensing some excellent advice, and then all of a sudden, that thread gets hijacked into questions and praise to the Rule 10 poster instead of the OP.

Thoughts? I'd love to hear what other folks think about this subject... I'm about 95% lurker and 5% poster, and there have been times when I wondered about whether a Rule 10 image should have been posted...

-Mook
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mookster Find More Posts by Mookster

Old 08-30-2006, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters
One of the unique things about Garage Glamour was the famous 'rule 10'. Looking at the current set of rules, I still see it there, yet I have yet to see anyone with under 100 posts pay any attention to it.

Just curious.

How many newbies know what 'rule 10' is?

How many even know where the rules are?

How many even care?

Just wondering...

Case in point.
The irony of this, of course, is that the "case in point" message was directed at the owner of this forum.

I guess if Rolando doesn't enforce his rules on the forum (and to be fair, he's probably on the road, again, so he probably hasn't had a chance to see, much less respond to that particular message), then it doesn't make much sense for anyone else to worry about it, does it?

Old 08-31-2006, 07:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

srwatters is offline IP: 71.164.138.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5wd
The irony of this, of course, is that the "case in point" message was directed at the owner of this forum.
I don't think it's ironic, it was intentional. The point of me choosing that post was to point out several things. The critical poster at the time had 3 posts. I wonder if he even knew who he was critiquing? He has zero images in his portfolio. To me this shows a whole bunch of disrespect towards both Rolando and the forum in general. I don't want to make this an attack against a single poster, but more a general issue with a lack of either self policing or moderator intervention. When there were dozens of active 'old timers' here, one of them would have pointed out the 'rule' to the newbie. Now that they are gone, and with no visible moderators (what happened to Erin?), it's a free for all.

I'd like to see G1 become as good if not better than the old Garage Glamour, but it's going to take some work. If Rolando can't take the time, perhaps he should delegate to some other folks. Just a suggestion and my $.02.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.199.39

We do moderate the forums. The rules were migrated over from the old site, and some have been updated. Most of the time it's myself and Michael Dean that police the forum, as well as Sindy and others--Corey has been out of town.

With the abundance of posts, we can't possibly read every thread, we look first at the "suspicous" ones and the ones that are "reported" to us. Add to that, no forum, none that I can even think of, are monitored 24/7/365 and they all do rely on their auidence to help police.

On Erin, not sure what has happened to her, haven't heard from her since I saw her last in Chicago.

On other admins, we are looking at that possibility--and it's not as easy as "just make him or her and admin."

Thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 08-31-2006, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44622

Mookster is offline IP: 69.215.30.122

Just to prove that the Rule 10 definitely DOES have a place on this forum, RFS used it perfectly in his latest post.

That is exactly why I became a Lifer here, too much good information and folks to keep getting it for free I can only aspire to be able to post up some information/critique and then be able to back it up with an excellent, helpful Rule 10 photo. I'm still working on it!

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/photo...-critique.html
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mookster Find More Posts by Mookster

Old 08-31-2006, 09:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 41923

glam_chic is offline IP: 71.230.191.187

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters
what happened to Erin?
I have been so busy with my personal life lately that it has been hard for me to be on the site constantly like I was before. I do still try to keep an eye on things, but I am only one person and I cant see everything. For anyone that does see something that they want a moderator to look in to, send us an email and we will be glad to look in to it for you

Erin

Old 08-31-2006, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Personally, I've never been an advocate of Rule #10. I think everyone has the potential to offer a valid opinion or critique... even those who have never captured a photographic image in their lives. Besides, if every time a reply that violated Rule #10 was taken down by a moderator, there wouldn't be too many responses to any image.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

srwatters is offline IP: 65.197.247.151

I disagree with the volume of posts here being too large. At one time it may have been that way, but right now it's no more than 25-50 a day.

My goal here isn't to criticise Rolando, Erin, or anyone else. I see the opportunity for good solid growth and a return to the Garage Glamour of old in a new skin. It won't just happen on its own IMHO.

Rolando, you might want to ask Abel how his team of moderators helps on TPF. I know that the volume there is 5+ times greater than here currently, and it is one of the best forums of the type that I know of.

BTW, there have been some rather harsh posts here in the past few weeks that completely ignored rule 10, yet not a peep was made about them. That's another reason I started this thread.