Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Color problems.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35859
Comments: 0

DWilson is offline IP: 68.148.135.17

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, I'm only posting this here for Maximum exposure, if it's the wrong place I'm sure someone will move it.
I'm having a hell of a time with this stupid color management crap. Seriously, red is red and blue is blue so why is it so bloody hard to get things set up so that a shade of red in one program is the same in another and is the same when I print something? I just don't get it.
Anyway, my immediate problem is that I've been editing some pictures (first time in a long time) and since they're for the web I want small file size so I've broken down and started using Photoshop's Save for Web feature that I've always hated. Now I remember one of my reasons why. If you have a look at the following you will see, on the left hand side, how I wanted my shot to look. The center shot shows how I felt the Save for Web feature has screwed up my shot but the right hand shot shows the exact same left hand file as displayed on a web page. What is going on here?
http://www.secondsightstudio.com/ima...orProblems.jpg
Any insight towards sanity would be highly appreciated. As much as I would love to pick up an X-Rite calibration kit, I just don't have $500 right now so please don't suggest that.
Many thousands of thanks in advance!

www.secondsightstudio.com

-=- More Human than Human... -=-
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Re: Color problems.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51172

willt is offline IP: 72.192.130.121

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Convert the color space to sRGB before saving for web.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to willt Visit willt's homepage! Find More Posts by willt

Old 08-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willt
Convert the color space to sRGB before saving for web.
Hmm, this would normally be good advice, it's something I hadn't checked. However, it appears as though I only work in the sRBG space. If that's the case, nothing should be changing as they are. However, I could be wrong, this stuff get's me so confused so easy.

My camera is set to capture images in sRGB and I've got Photoshop set up for sRGB as the working space.

Any other ideas?

View Public Profile Send a private message to DWilson Visit DWilson's homepage! Find More Posts by DWilson

Old 08-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51172

willt is offline IP: 72.192.130.121

The screen shot shows that you're currently displaying document sizes in the info bar at the bottom of the image window. Change it to document profile and confirm that the profile is sRGB.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to willt Visit willt's homepage! Find More Posts by willt
Last edited by willt; 08-27-2006 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willt
When you select show > document profile from the dropdown menu at the bottom of the image window, does it say sRGB?
No. No it doesn't. Isn't that interesting? It Shows Adobe RBG (1998) (8 bpc). Wierd...Okay, well, that helps a bit...Thanks! I'll fix that up and see how it works for me for a while...

Old 08-27-2006, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 60.224.6.218

That may solve a lot of your problems.

Try doing the conversion to small JPEG manually, too, and see if that produces different results. It's not hard:

1. use Image / Image Size to reduce the size of the image - try setting the longer dimension to 600 pixels (the shorter dimension should scale to maintain the aspect ratio). I often change the dpi here, too (change the dpi first, because it changes the pixels).
2. use Image / Mode to change to 8 bits / pixel (you should usually use 16 bpp for editing)
3. use File / Save As and change the file type to JPEG

If that produces a JPEG that looks different from the Save for Web command, then you can join the vast crowd who DON'T use Save for Web
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 08-27-2006, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

Most likely your photoshop profile setting is different from your windows color profile settings. ...aaaand I just read and saw you found that your Adobe setting was AdobeRGB. Windows color profile and Photoshops need to match for them to look the same. Also, any other programs like ACDsee and the like also need correct/matching profiles. Most programs default at sRGB.

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 08-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.137.157.161

Hey Dave,
here's an idea that may help you along your way with color management. First off, try doing a normal "Save As" after resizing the image to the appropriate size, and there should be a box that you can check towards the bottom of the "Save As" window that reads something to the extent of "embed color profile". This should help a bit. Also if you are printing these at home off of your home printer, what I have done is turned off the printers color management so it uses the color management of either photoshop or the image itself. This should take care of most of your problems. One other note on the techinical side of things, your printer along with 99% of all printers both consumer and commercial print in CYMK instead of RGB. You can still get an excellent red from the CYMK color pallet, but I just threw that in there just for the techinical sake of things. Good luck

Isaiah Brink