Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Indoor shoot and short on lighting
Old 08-23-2006, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54141
Comments: 0

ogpro is offline IP: 24.171.138.133

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys, I posted this on the critiques forum but I'm barely getting any feedback hehe.
The story is, I had gotten this last minute request to shoot a model for a mag, and all I had on me was my 20D and a 580EX flash. I thought I'd be able to shoot with some daylight but it ended up being a night time shoot in a hotel room. I didn't want the effect of a point and shoot cam with direct light, and the ceiling was a really bad reflector, so I went and got some white cardboard and bounced the flash off of that to get the shots you see below. The ones sitting on the bed were taken in almost total darkness with my flash pointing up at the board that was angled toward the subject.
My question is, was there anything I could have done to get better shots with what little equipment I had? Thanks for looking =)

View Public Profile Send a private message to ogpro Find More Posts by ogpro

Re: Indoor shoot and short on lighting
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 67.139.53.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It looks like there were some lights on the headboard. You may want to try turning them on (and any other room lights) and use a slower shutter speed to try and bring in some of the ambient light.
Most hotels rooms have fairly low ceilings, you may just want to point the flash straight up to bounce off the ceiling if it is powerful enough, that will give you a much broader light, then use the bounce cards to bounce some light in from the foot of the bed.
Overall they look pretty good with a little tweak here and there!
SteveB

Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.44.198

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogpro
Hey guys, I posted this on the critiques forum but I'm barely getting any feedback hehe.
The story is, I had gotten this last minute request to shoot a model for a mag, and all I had on me was my 20D and a 580EX flash. I thought I'd be able to shoot with some daylight but it ended up being a night time shoot in a hotel room. I didn't want the effect of a point and shoot cam with direct light, and the ceiling was a really bad reflector, so I went and got some white cardboard and bounced the flash off of that to get the shots you see below. The ones sitting on the bed were taken in almost total darkness with my flash pointing up at the board that was angled toward the subject.
My question is, was there anything I could have done to get better shots with what little equipment I had? Thanks for looking =)
Probably not a lot more you could do with that lighting except using the room lights and some strategic posing. You can improve the results with some post processing though. Here's one I did very quick during lunch. I just did some levels adjustment and it makes it "less flat" on my non calibrated work monitor. Also, creative cropping might give them a little more interest as well.

One thing on technique that would improve these shots, IMO. My Dad used to look at my early shots like these and ask, " Son, is your left leg shorter than your right one" meaning I screwed up the horizons. Unless you were going for that sliding off the bed concept, you should pay a little more attention to camera level as you're shooting.

Cheers,
LSC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 08-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moe
Free Member

Member GG#: 35313

Moe is offline IP: 69.138.252.5

I totally agree with SteveB.
If you could turn those light on and use a slower shutter speed to bring the ambient light in. You will get much richer, warm tone into your image.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Moe Visit Moe's homepage! Find More Posts by Moe

Old 08-23-2006, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

There's quite a bit you could have done with one light. Assuming you had something to get the flash off the camera such as a sync cord. Go here http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ and read all of it.... then re-read all of it.

The 3rd one isn't too bad other than the head board coming out of the sides of her head which is also a problem on your others except the ones where she is lying down. And that's a problem that isn't associated with the flash.

My suggestion on how to shoot this would have been to turn on all the lights, open up your aperture to it's max opening, slow your shutter speed down and raise your ISO. Firing the flash directly at the ceiling would have helped add some snap to the ambient light. Then stand over her and and shoot down on her some so that you aren't looking up on the edge of the mattress and you get rid of the headboard. In short something like the shot below.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 08-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 39367

bruggemj is offline IP: 71.87.165.131

Thanks for the link Ernie.
Excellent information with good explanations.

Joe
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bruggemj Visit bruggemj's homepage! Find More Posts by bruggemj

Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50164
My Mood:

lepphed is offline IP: 68.63.65.193

I liked the shots, for what you had to work with. But I agree with Ernie with the headboard thing, I really learned something from it.
Thanks for sharing!
P.S. Thanks Ernie for the link! It really helped!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lepphed Find More Posts by lepphed