Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Studio Space Questions
Old 08-20-2006, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 53461
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to coreymcl

coreymcl is offline IP: 24.0.91.115

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have been thinking more and more about renting studio space. I should be clear here, I am looking at space to rent from my own studio. I hate to keep paying to use others studio's. If I ca find one at a reasonable price.

So my questions are as follows. If you rent space, how did you find it? I have been doing some online searches for warehouse type space. Online searches are not the best as this small size of warehouse space is not advertised this way. I hate to contact a realtor about such a small space. Also how much are you paying?

So I'm hoping to learn from some of the work you that have studios already have already done. So any input from those who have studio's would be great.

I'm in the Arlington/Grand Prairie, TX.

Thanks for the help!

Corey
  View Public Profile Send a private message to coreymcl Visit coreymcl's homepage! Find More Posts by coreymcl

Re: Studio Space Questions
Old 08-20-2006, 04:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 65.3.234.194

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Im in Miami and Im sure is a totally different market ( real estate ) than in Arlington.

I have had my studio for over 2 1/2 yrs.

I found it thru word of mouth.. I have my place in an art gallery and one has to be "juried" in.. so my case is completely different from most ppl. I have to shoot art pictures and hang them as that is part of the deal.. and i always have a problem with that, since I respect art a lot and I dont think Im capable of doing anything remotely close to art....

Anyway, so I found mine thru word of mouth.. But Im looking for a bigger spot and I have driven thru warehouses and they have the realtors/renters phone number and they can give u options. You should not be afraid/ashamed of contacting a realtor for that, since whatever u get he's gonna make money.. doesnt matter if he only makes a few dollars every month still is money for him.

I pay less than $1000 a month and the space is about 800 sq ft -the shooting space- and i have a small office of about 200 sq ft, 99% of the stuff I have shot in studio has been in there.. I have shot commercial work at rental studios because I had the budget and I needed more space, when whenever I can I shoot at my own place...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax

Old 08-20-2006, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Member GG#: 3
Comments: 1

Michael H Dean is offline IP: 71.224.140.103

I also found my studio by word of mouth. The owner brought it from a Moose Lodge. The market was way down and they couldn't sell it so he got it for a steal 8 yrs ago. I found out he was only using it 3-4 times a year and that didn't even cover his costs. We struck up a deal and now I have 4000 SF as the studio and another 4000 SF on other floors I can use. All for less then 1000. Of course I have to pay utilities which are good in summer but watch out for that heating bill. Still its a bargain.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Michael H Dean Find More Posts by Michael H Dean

Old 08-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

".. and i always have a problem with that, since I respect art a lot and I dont think Im capable of doing anything remotely close to art...."

Funny. A long time ago, someone I respected a great deal started talking about my stuff as "Art." I just shot what I liked. It wasn't "Art." The guilt made me quite shooting for several months. I went nuts. (Well, nuttier?) Then I decided I loved shooting, and wanted to shoot what I liked. The rest of it didn't matter.

I suggest you just shoot what you like, and hang what you like, and it's not your fault if someone else calls it "art." You know it isn't. It's just what you like.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 68.215.8.161

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford
".. and i always have a problem with that, since I respect art a lot and I dont think Im capable of doing anything remotely close to art...."
Funny. A long time ago, someone I respected a great deal started talking about my stuff as "Art." I just shot what I liked. It wasn't "Art." The guilt made me quite shooting for several months. I went nuts. (Well, nuttier?) Then I decided I loved shooting, and wanted to shoot what I liked. The rest of it didn't matter.
I suggest you just shoot what you like, and hang what you like, and it's not your fault if someone else calls it "art." You know it isn't. It's just what you like.
Thank you!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax

Old 08-21-2006, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

What do you consider a reasonable price? Will you be able to make at least the cost of the rent and utilities back each month from having your own studio? Have you looked in residential areas of GP. Sometimes there are some really cheap rentals on old houses.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 53461
Send a message via AIM to coreymcl

coreymcl is offline IP: 24.0.91.115

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith
What do you consider a reasonable price? Will you be able to make at least the cost of the rent and utilities back each month from having your own studio? Have you looked in residential areas of GP. Sometimes there are some really cheap rentals on old houses.
Cheers,
rfs
What a reason price? I have no idea. I was kinda looking for some point of reference. I wanted also to see what types of places that maybe I have not considered looking at. What do you use?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to coreymcl Visit coreymcl's homepage! Find More Posts by coreymcl

Old 08-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreymcl
What a reason price? I have no idea. I was kinda looking for some point of reference. I wanted also to see what types of places that maybe I have not considered looking at. What do you use?
Unless you're making a living at photography, I don't think you'd want to invest more than it would cost you to rent an occassional studio. Since you can often find a place for $100 for a days shoot, the question becomes, how many times do you have to shoot per month to justify a studio. Is this a studio where you can bring clients (has dressing room, office, internet, showroom space, etc), or is it just for shooting glamour and the model is willing to put up with a bathroom as the dressing room. For myself, I sometimes shoot out of my home. I have a large living room with vaulted ceilings (15' high) that can easily be cleared of furniture and I can set up a seamless and my lights. But sometimes models don't feel comfortable coming to a private home. Other times I go together with a group of other photographers and we rent space for the days shoot. I've been doing this on and off for 30 years in the DFW area. There are always places that can be rented, especially in Dallas.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 52513
Send a message via Yahoo to TJPhotoGuy

TJPhotoGuy is offline IP: 207.71.25.66

Quote:
Unless you're making a living at photography, I don't think you'd want to invest more than it would cost you to rent an occassional studio.
Well-said... was thinking the same thing. It's economics; you'd have to shoot a certain amount of paid shoots per month to break even on the rent. And rent is not cheap of course... and then there's utility bills, fees, etc

Quote:
But sometimes models don't feel comfortable coming to a private home.rfs
Really? Why? That seems crazy. I haven't seen that so far, my studio is in my home (I lucked out ith a huge room big enough for one "scene" with 20' ceilings). The reason I would take such exception with a "model" that didn't want to come to a home is, some of the very best photographers I know work out of their homes. One photographer here in Frisco has her studio at her house, and she was named one of Canon's top 80 photographers in the world.

Imho, a model who wouldn't come to astudio at someone's house is really making a big mistake excluding some excellent photographers.
  View Public Profile Visit TJPhotoGuy's homepage! Find More Posts by TJPhotoGuy

Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPhotoGuy
Really? Why? That seems crazy. I haven't seen that so far, my studio is in my home (I lucked out ith a huge room big enough for one "scene" with 20' ceilings). The reason I would take such exception with a "model" that didn't want to come to a home is, some of the very best photographers I know work out of their homes. One photographer here in Frisco has her studio at her house, and she was named one of Canon's top 80 photographers in the world.
Imho, a model who wouldn't come to astudio at someone's house is really making a big mistake excluding some excellent photographers.
It may be crazy, but I'm telling you I have had model's who did not want to come to a residence for a shoot. Also, your example, is somewhat mis-leading, since your say it was a "her" photographer. A female model is much more likely to feel safer with a female photographer than a male photographer she's never met.
I agree that may excellent photographers shoot out of their homes. One of the world's great photographers shoots out of his home often.
There is also the hassle of shooting in the home studio if it is not a dedicated space. Since I live alone, I can more or less dedicate a room to studio use.
cheers,
rfs