Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Female model, Makeup and the Ban on Liquids for Air Travellers
Old 08-13-2006, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49597
Comments: 11
Send a message via AIM to StarvingArtist

StarvingArtist is offline IP: 69.153.19.173

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

By now you all have heard that air carriers are banning any kind of liquid from luggage destined to board an aircraft. That means that even makeup -- mascara, liquid foundation, hair gel, toothpaste; you name it--it's now forbidden to fly the once friendly skies.

Looking at the big picture, and if this situation lasts for a notable duration, models will arrive makeup-less to their points of destination.

Does she immediately head off to the mall on a makeup and personal care item shopping spree only to throw it all away upon return flight to her point of origin? What a waste that would be.

Will photographers have to develop their own full-array makeup kits? This would be maddening as there are too many choices and just as many personal preferences to differing brands. It would cost a small fortune to be ready for anything.

Conversely, MUA's would become busier, but how much busy is too busy?

It's bad enough that fuel prices have spiked a rise in transportations costs (I can't justify a trip to see my mother on the ground or in the air -- either way the fees are insane). Add to that the utility of "restocking" one's makeup tool kit for every location, and you might as well shut down the industry now.

It's a paradox and one I'd like to see some thoughtful banter about.

CHET D.
San Antonio, TX
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StarvingArtist Visit StarvingArtist's homepage! Find More Posts by StarvingArtist

Re: Female model, Makeup and the Ban on Liquids for Air Travellers
Old 08-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39640
Comments: 0

CaptainKen is offline IP: 71.218.56.60

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The ban is for carry on, arrive early check your liquids, and retrieve your luggage at the destination. Prior to somebody getting the bright idea of putting wheels on suit cases some 20 years ago everybody used to do it this way. Not a big deal in my book. Just pack wisely for cushioning.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CaptainKen Find More Posts by CaptainKen
Last edited by CaptainKen; 08-13-2006 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35411
Comments: 12
My Mood:

photoshooter is offline IP: 67.163.86.244

I agree with Ken, "pack wisely", According to some recent travelers' testimony it's no big deal, just arrive two hour early. If a MUA doesn't want the kit to be banged up by the luggage handlers then one should consider shipping all of the make up stuff via land carrier such as UPS, FEDEX or some other one. In view what happened in UK we all must sacrifice for our common safety, there are too many fanatics trying to do us harm.

View Public Profile Send a private message to photoshooter Visit photoshooter's homepage! Find More Posts by photoshooter

Old 08-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071

Brattitude is offline IP: 24.8.0.151

New Security Procedures

<!-- START putting the Anchor link --><!-- END putting the Anchor link -->TSA has changed security screening procedures at all U.S. airports, banning liquids and gels at security checkpoints and aboard flights. This means that you will not be permitted to bring any liquids or gels past the screening checkpoint or on board, with a few exceptions. We will allow small doses of liquid medications through the security checkpoint and onboard airplanes, a slight adjustment from the original ban, which was implemented on August 10.
We also now require all passengers to remove their shoes so they may be x-rayed with their carry-on bags.
While we can not provide a comprehensive list of liquids that will and will not be permitted on board, the primary exceptions to this rule are:Laptop computers, cellular phones, iPods, and other portable electronic devices are still allowed on board an aircraft. These items must still be screened at the security checkpoint.
While baby formula, breast milk, and certain medications will be permitted past the screening checkpoint and on board, please be aware that these items will be subject to physical inspection. You will not be required to taste these liquids in the presence of a security officer.
We suggest, to the fullest extent possible, that you pack all liquids and gels – including shampoo, toothpaste, perfume, hair gel, suntan lotion and all other items with similar consistency in your checked baggage to minimize any delays at the screening checkpoint.
Some solid or powdered cosmetics items are permitted past the checkpoint; however, this is left to the discretion of the Security Officer. To minimize delays and hassle, we recommend that you pack all cosmetics in your checked baggage.
Beverages purchased in the boarding area (beyond the screening checkpoint) will not be allowed on board, and must be consumed before boarding.
In the event a Security Officer identifies a prohibited item in your baggage, you will be required to either check that item with your checked baggage, or dispose of it at the checkpoint.
These polices apply to ALL domestic and international flights originating in the United States, including flights to the United Kingdom. For flights to the United Kingdom, TSA security officers will perform an additional physical inspection of all carry on baggage at the departure gate. For all other flights random gate inspections will be conducted.
Please note that for flights originating in the United Kingdom, local policies regarding carry on baggage will apply. These policies tend to be more stringent than United States policy. You may wish to check with you air carrier for additional details on United Kingdom requirements.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rocedures.shtm

If you can't be good, be good at it
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Old 08-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.21.110

Most makeup travels fine in checked baggage, providing it's padded - I packed the bottles separated by clothes when I bought makeup duty-free for my wife. I wouldn't worry about that so much. What concerns me is the suggestion that camera gear may not be allowed as carry on.

The UK introduced a temporary measure for flights from the UK to the US where all electronics (phones, laptops, CAMERAS...) had to be checked. You were allowed to carry on your wallet and passport, medications required on the flight, and baby stuff - that was about it. I believe that's been relaxed now, but it could come back anytime.

The idea of entrusting the baggage handlers who have smashed one of my suitcases (a hard Samsonite!) with my camera bag, holding thousands of dollars-worth of fragile camera gear, gives me the screaming heeby-jeebies!

I'm looking hard at those Pelikan flightcases - does anyone have experience with them? And not to get too far from the OP - could they be used for makeup kits?
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 08-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40667
My Mood:

Wrlss911Pro is offline IP: 68.158.175.82

This is good information.

I am a big believer in the Pelikan line. They are darn near indestructible and are extremely versatile. I have three in my inventory. Two came with padding, one without. The two with padding have been customized for their contents. One by cutting out the foam padding the other by a sectional, pull-apart padding. The third I use as a waterproof emergency kit for scuba diving. I have had my wallet, papers money, etc. in it when it went over the side. It floated and all the contents were bone dry.

Another alternative are the Anvil line of cases.

What a world we live in.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wrlss911Pro Find More Posts by Wrlss911Pro

Old 08-14-2006, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50763
Comments: 4
Send a message via MSN to silver tip images Send a message via Yahoo to silver tip images

silver tip images is offline IP: 24.19.195.171

Live with it or quit. For years we lived without a cell phone and lived. We can make it thru this. Sure it would be nice if it was as it was 6 years ago but its not so lets move on and make the best .

Old 08-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.233.225.43

Just pack the stuff securely and check it in. No problem.

BTW, expect misery in general. Some airlines are recommending checkin 3 hours early for domestic flights. Longer for overseas.

Theft by TSA personnel from checked luggage is a serious problem. They're unlikely to go after cosmetics. But theft of expensive electronics, especially camera gear and things like laptops, is very bad. For the moment, though, photographers are still being allowed to carry on their camera gear, at least on USA domestic flights. I was warned though, that the policy might change overnight if the terrorists try to use camera gear as cover for weapons.

An amusing (?) sidenote on delays. I had to go from Los Angeles to Palo Alto (near San Jose) recently on business. I managed to share a ride with 2 friends in a private plane. Another colleague flew commercially. Though our 4-place plane only cruised around 135 MPH, the savings in "arrive hours early" time compared to commercial flying got us there several hours faster than the door-to-door time of Southwest Airlines. And for passengers it is fascinating to see how aviation 'actually works,' how pilots navigate and talk to controllers, and such.

And another attendee found out that it was actually faster, door-to-door, to DRIVE up the 5 fwy than to fly commercially!

Kinda makes you wish we had "bullet trains," speeding 'round the country, doesn't it?

Old 08-16-2006, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Vic Naumann

Member GG#: 40216
Comments: 37
My Mood:

Jagdoc is offline IP: 69.138.20.39

Coming back to the US from the Caribbean on Monday, my laptop in a checked bag was removed and the removeable DVD drive was taken out and checked. They went through all my toiletries, but everything made it ok.

They did require one on the models to leave some of her makeup powder that she was carrying through the security check point.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jagdoc Find More Posts by Jagdoc

Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 51323

terrace is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattitude
New Security Procedures

<!-- START putting the Anchor link --><!-- END putting the Anchor link -->TSA has changed security screening procedures at all U.S. airports, banning liquids and gels at security checkpoints and aboard flights. This means that you will not be permitted to bring any liquids or gels past the screening checkpoint or on board, with a few exceptions. We will allow small doses of liquid medications through the security checkpoint and onboard airplanes, a slight adjustment from the original ban, which was implemented on August 10.
We also now require all passengers to remove their shoes so they may be x-rayed with their carry-on bags.
While we can not provide a comprehensive list of liquids that will and will not be permitted on board, the primary exceptions to this rule are:Laptop computers, cellular phones, iPods, and other portable electronic devices are still allowed on board an aircraft. These items must still be screened at the security checkpoint.
While baby formula, breast milk, and certain medications will be permitted past the screening checkpoint and on board, please be aware that these items will be subject to physical inspection. You will not be required to taste these liquids in the presence of a security officer.
We suggest, to the fullest extent possible, that you pack all liquids and gels – including shampoo, toothpaste, perfume, hair gel, suntan lotion and all other items with similar consistency in your checked baggage to minimize any delays at the screening checkpoint.
Some solid or powdered cosmetics items are permitted past the checkpoint; however, this is left to the discretion of the Security Officer. To minimize delays and hassle, we recommend that you pack all cosmetics in your checked baggage.
Beverages purchased in the boarding area (beyond the screening checkpoint) will not be allowed on board, and must be consumed before boarding.
In the event a Security Officer identifies a prohibited item in your baggage, you will be required to either check that item with your checked baggage, or dispose of it at the checkpoint.
These polices apply to ALL domestic and international flights originating in the United States, including flights to the United Kingdom. For flights to the United Kingdom, TSA security officers will perform an additional physical inspection of all carry on baggage at the departure gate. For all other flights random gate inspections will be conducted.
Please note that for flights originating in the United Kingdom, local policies regarding carry on baggage will apply. These policies tend to be more stringent than United States policy. You may wish to check with you air carrier for additional details on United Kingdom requirements.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rocedures.shtm

thank you for posting this, brat. stupid question, but that includes water???!! I am a bottled water whore, and dont go anywhere without it...so no more bookbags full of candy and water. ?
I think I may scratch someones eyes out on the plane, then they will ban ALL FINGERS and persons WITH FINGERS from aircraft..
why haven't they banned small loud children from flying, yet? and dyed hair? that is easily flammable.. so persons with dyed hair or wigs should not be allowed on....
or shoelaces---since people have been known to get strangled with shoelaces, we should be required to wear velcroe shoes on the planes..hahaha
when will the madness stop???