Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Question re: traveling with cameras as carry-on
Old 08-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.233.225.43

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

As we all know, the Arabs tried for another major terrorism coup, but were foiled w/ less than a week to spare. (They had completed 'dry runs' and their tickets for the actual attack were dated for Aug 16). My question is whether this has affected airlines' policies as far as carrying on of camera gear? Do the airlines still allow you to carry on your camera bags/cameras and accessories? Or are they now insisting it be checked? Some of my esteemed fellow readers may be traveling yesterday, today, or soon ... Please tell us what the current situation is.

I'm really tired of these guys trying to kill us decent people.

Re: Question re: traveling with cameras as carry-on
Old 08-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52576
Comments: 0
My Mood:

TheGoldy is offline IP: 198.188.145.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I just called Continental Airlines to ask. I'm flying next weekend and I hadn't thought about electronic devices and cameras. Right now they're advising putting just about everything, including cameras and PDAs into checked luggage, but they said things are changing on a daily basis, so it's all up in the air. The best thing they could recommend was to keep checking back to get the most current restrictions. I wonder how they'd react if I just show up naked with just a paperback book to read? LOL
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TheGoldy Find More Posts by TheGoldy

Old 08-11-2006, 06:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40667
My Mood:

Wrlss911Pro is offline IP: 68.158.161.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldy
I wonder how they'd react if I just show up naked with just a paperback book to read? LOL
A couple years ago a bunch of nudists chartered a plane for trip and did just that. I often thought that they might be on to something.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wrlss911Pro Find More Posts by Wrlss911Pro

Old 08-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 65.43.43.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldy
I I wonder how they'd react if I just show up naked with just a paperback book to read? LOL
You probably should put the paperback book in your checked through luggage. It will ignite ya know... and paper cuts can be deadly.

The local NPR station was talking about people who were wanting to know what they are doing with all the shampoo and toothpaste they are pulling out of luggage at Detroit Metro. The answer is they are throwing it away... Gotta wonder about those folks who asked...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 08-13-2006, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Life Is Great Images

Member GG#: 49724
Comments: 24

LifeIsGreatImages is offline IP: 66.109.133.33

Another thread has posted TSA regulations and suggestions for packing and checking items.

One comment re: "As we all know, the Arabs have ...." is an inaccurate slander of a whole group of people, of whom only a minority have hostile intent.

About a week ago I entertained student visitors from the mid East who all spoke Arabic, but coming from places as distant as Morocco and Qtar they have many different backgrounds and indeed said they had difficulty understanding each other's accents. These were great young people who are aware of the problems of the world, but were serious about learning and meeting people and improving the world.

In my personal opinion it's religous radicals on all sides who have been creating holy wars in that area for over a thousand years: Muslims, Jews and Christians and I don't see that any one group is much better than the others.

I share the view that wackos who try to blow up airplanes, crash into the WTC etc. are despicable.

However, Arab people in Qtar reportedly host a large US military base and provide a place for R&R for US soldiers, as may other Arab countries. We need to be nice to friendly Arab countries.

Enough on politics. Time to get back to photography.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LifeIsGreatImages Find More Posts by LifeIsGreatImages

Old 08-13-2006, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45179
Send a message via ICQ to Nikonace Send a message via Yahoo to Nikonace

Nikonace is offline IP: 66.142.211.126

I was wondering this same question. Now, if they won't let you take your camera bag on the plane, which would be safer...trusting the baggage handlers with it and hope it gets there or might it be safer to mail the bag via either postal service, UPS or whatever and insure the heck out of it? I'm just going for vacation so it's not like I have to have them there at a specific time.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Nikonace Find More Posts by Nikonace

Old 08-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 66.245.32.150

I think things are going to change fast. I'd buy a pelican case, and lots of insurance. I routinely take my camera bag on with me, to make sure it gets there. I have remote triggering devices, pocket wizzards, and usually a bottle of water. I even wrote to Tom Ridge back when and asked why they allow liquids to be brought onboard. I guess the email didn't make to his desk. Now we will pay the penalty, and I'm going to guess many of us will get to exotic locations, where all you can buy is a disposable camera to replace the Cannon or Nikon that was in the unlocked luggage. Watch for new members with airport passes.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36799
Send a message via AIM to digitalimpressions

digitalimpressions is offline IP: 69.150.74.134

Just got in an hour ago from trip to the northeast. No prob with carrying camera gear on with Delta.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to digitalimpressions Find More Posts by digitalimpressions

Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35558
Send a message via Yahoo to johne

johne is offline IP: 207.137.21.1

I flew back through Chicago O'Hare to San Diego on Saturday morning. No problems at all carrying my camera bag/gear. They just don't allow any liquids/gels of any kind.

Going through security was a breeze.

Best regards,
John
  View Public Profile Send a private message to johne Visit johne's homepage! Find More Posts by johne

Old 08-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 198.253.27.163

Friday I flew Providence to Laguardia to Charleston on US Air. No problem with camera, laptop, pda, cell phone in my briefcase. Just no drinks, toothpaste, or other liquids. Got some greats shots of NYC coming in.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli