Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Damm I hate it when everything go's wrong.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I spent hours working on my lighting and getting everything ready for my shoot. I thought I had it just about perfect. Then it's time to shoot and my lighting was a disaster . My meter and camera were so far off I could not understand why. Every shot was blown out. It was like I was not changing anything by turning down the power output to the lights. The meter said everything was good but the camera was blowing out every time.. I looked like a real jackass in front of the model. I feel I let her down and myself. I have been so mad at myself I have not been able to go back and see what was wrong. Even the white balence looked to red. I have never had a day like this before and it makes me want to just give up.

I just had to talk about it..sorry.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: Damm I hate it when everything go's wrong.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50601
Comments: 0

D.Alan is offline IP: 68.230.208.147

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Did the iso on your light meter and your camera matchup? I've made the mistake of metering at one iso and the camera recording at another.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to D.Alan Find More Posts by D.Alan

Old 08-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 39367

bruggemj is offline IP: 71.87.184.72

Just hang in there Mike, go back and see if you can figure out what happened.

The first time I shot a wedding, everything was under-exposed something fierce. Only one shot was usable, and it wasn't the bride or the groom.

I think I've gotten a bit better since then, I'm still afraid to charge people though.

Here is one from my first "model shoot". Mel was a real sport and made it easy, these were actually for a class I was taking.

Figures that she likes the one where the flash hadn't recycled yet

My point is don't get discouraged, at least you had someone in front of your lense. Maybe you two can give it another try, at least you'll have something to laugh about.

Joe
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bruggemj Visit bruggemj's homepage! Find More Posts by bruggemj

Old 08-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.115.117

I've no idea what went wrong, so all I can say is we've all been there, or will be there. It's usually just some dumb error. All I can say is sometimes life just sucks!

Old 08-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Never blame yourself or the model or subject, at least not publically. Always divert blame elswhere-- the camera or other gear, sunspots or solar flares, government conspiracies. Later, when you're alone and thoroughly depressed, slowly recreate what you did, step-by-step, and then--when you discover what went wrong--whether it was a brainfart or faulty equipment, punish yourself with actual physical pain or take a sledgehammer to the offending gear. BTW, if you have a backup camera and the problem persists, your options are fewer and you might consider solar flares or conpiracies as possible excuses. If models can flake because they were supposedly abducted by aliens, you can have shooting problems attributed to the sun or the government.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.226.120.254

Hey Mike,

Just wanted to say sorry about the shoot. If it makes you feel any better, I was looking through some completely killer images on MM -- don't remember who, but that's not important -- and it got me so depressed that I went back to bed and stayed there for a few hours. I don't see how I'll ever get as good as those people, and yet here I am about to swim with these sharks when I move to Miami. I must be insane! I have a feeling I'm going to be eaten alive...

Not that you delight in other people's pain or anything, but hey, I thought it might make you feel some better that there are other people having "photo depression" too.

You'll figure out what happened soon enough I'm sure.

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 08-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeasley
...here I am about to swim with these sharks when I move to Miami. I must be insane! I have a feeling I'm going to be eaten alive...
The best way to swim with sharks is by pretending to be a shark: Wear a shark suit. Learn to speak "shark." Most importantly, always keep some shark repellent and a bazooka-sized spear gun handy.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 08-09-2006, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.170.101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd
The best way to swim with sharks is by pretending to be a shark: Wear a shark suit. Learn to speak "shark."
This is true -- I once heard of a guy who was terrible at meeting women. This guy happened to be heavy into role-playing games, like D&D and stuff, so he ended up "role-playing" that he was a confident guy to get girls, and apparently it worked.

Well I did some role-playing once a long time ago. Maybe I'll hafta pick it up again? And btw, know of anyplace I can buy me a nice looking shark suit?
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 08-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Alan
Did the iso on your light meter and your camera matchup? I've made the mistake of metering at one iso and the camera recording at another.
I checked it and it was still set right. This was a simple white backdrop with a meter reading of f11 and a meter reading on the model of f8. I took a few test shots and saw the historgram looked wrong. So I checked the camera settings and all looked good. I had the model standing there and and I was thinking to myself "what the hell is wrong" ? I metered everything again and it looked right. I turned the camera off and back on and did another test shot.. The same thing again. So I turned down the power on the 2 lights aimed at the backdrop. Took another test shot. It was better but the color was to red on the models skin. So to make a log story short I did the whole shoot with the lights all screwed up.. The model could not stay much longer then we planned. All the images need work so I will post one tomorrow...

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 08-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruggemj
My point is don't get discouraged, at least you had someone in front of your lense. Maybe you two can give it another try, at least you'll have something to laugh about.
Joe
This was a shoot that could bring me alot of new models and now I don't know what will happen. I have to get very good at photoshop real fast to make the images useable. I never felt stress like that before.
Mike